As A New Greyhound Owner

Guest dblgreys

I think this depends on a lot of things - if you need only flea prevention, Trifexis is much cheaper overall than Heatguard + something else. But Trifexis doesn't prevent against ticks, which you may or may not need.

We started our grey on Trifexis but it made him lethargic and sometimes vomity (known side effects) - he also hated the taste. We switched to Heartguard Plus and a separate flea/tick preventer and so far he has not had the same issues. But I know other greys are the opposite way - sensitive to heartguard but OK on Trifexis.

Edited by muddgirl

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

All five of mine are fine with Trifexis, though they all will not eat the "chewable" tablets. We don't need tick prevention, so this does fine for us.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My two are on Heartgard Plus (for heartworm prevention) and Frontline Plus for fleas/ticks (it's too woodsy around here for just flea prevention). The Heartgard Plus gives both dogs a spell of soft poop (not quite diarrhea) within 24 hours; it clears up within another 24 (the problem seems to be the flavoring, not the medicine itself). Heartgard Plus does not prevent as many parasites as other preventatives, so other worms are still a risk.

If Novartis ever gets Interceptor back on the market...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

we have moved to revolution because of the soft poop from heartguard as it does fleas and heartworm.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.