Newbie With Young (Sometimes Crazy) Grey From Pittsburgh

Guest jenniferk

Guest jenniferk

Hi! After living with cats for 13 years, my husband Dave and I adopted our first dog two months ago, two-year-old Django (racing name was Iruska Promiser). I'm a cat person and have long rescued strays and socialized ferals and didn't think a dog was in store for us...until I met greyhounds at a meet-and-greet and fell in love. Of course, the calm, gentle greyhounds we met who don't bark or shed aren't the kind of dog we got! Django definitely still has puppy behavior and can be as unruly, crazy, and willfull as any other young dog. He's an avid barker, though lucky for us he barks when he has to go #2. After two months of not shedding at all, he seems to be losing his entire coat at once! Overall he's been great, though--never had an accident in the house, can be alone by himself all day while we're at work with no issues, is mostly well-behaved. However, he does have sleep aggression (our introduction to that was when he bit my husband and drew blood the second night we had him) and a bit of space aggression (he's growled a few times), and he goes so crazy when he plays that he can hurt me by nipping at me and jumping on me and scratching me. So, we have a behaviorist coming next week to work with us on those issues. Also, I'd been doing basic clicker training since we got him (what was recommended in Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies), but I've found really great articles and info on this forum, especially this article on The Importance of Being Alpha: http://forum.greytal...of-being-alpha/. The problems sounded a lot like ours, so we just tried the very simple suggestions a few days ago--like walking through doors first, standing tall when we give commands, talking deeply and firmly (I only now realized I haven't been doing this), and making him do a command before he gets anything...and he pretty much instantly improved! He walks much better for us (he's been statuing and refusing to move), he is calmer in the house, and in general is better behaved. I thought the issues we were having were because he's young, and maybe that's part of it, but I definitely think it was also that he was calling the shots. Now that he knows we're calling the shots, things are much better--he even seems more relaxed and happier.

Anyway, I'm delighted to have found this forum with so much good advice. Because we've never had a dog, let alone greyhound, all of this is completely new to us, and it seems like every question we have has been discussed here. I'll be using this forum as a resource from now on--thank you to all who help us newbies!

PS: My three cats are former ferals and scaredy cats, so they refuse to meet Django so I am still keeping them separated. I'm trying to just gradually get them used to just seeing each other. Sometimes Django (who tested cat-safe) doesn't care about them, but at other times he definitely fixates on them and wants to go after them. So, it is a work in progress!

Here are some photos of our handsome boy!

DSC_3645.jpg

DSC_3634.jpg

DSC_3640.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

He is just gorgeous . Time is all you need and it all will fall into Place . :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest DeniseL

Wow he sounds like my Miami! A touch of space/sleep aggression and he def thinks he is calling the shots sometimes. Like you, I have been implimenting some of the suggestions on this forum and there has been a lot of improvment. We also have a behaviorist/ trainer coming for a consult, just to make sure we are all getting off on the right foot! I love this forum!! Good luck with your new addition... :)

Guest PhillyPups
:wave hi and welcome. What a handsome boy. I find they all settle in with time, they just have to learn who controls the cookies. I do not do the overrated stuff like make sure I go through the door first. Respect is a given as they know I feed them, trust is earned in time ny living with me, and I have gained their trust. They (well most) listen well, and know when I am serious. a YO in my household has em all going to the first bed, lying down and looking cute

Guest jenniferk

Thanks everyone for the welcome and support. I keep hearing that with love, patience, and time, everything will be fine, so that's what I'm commited to!

Oooo, he's very handsome. Congratulations!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest jenniferk

Welcome! We're near Pittsburgh (Greensburg, PA). Were those pics taken at the park on the North Shore?

Hello! Yes, those were taken in West Park in central Northside. We live close to there. You didn't, by chance, adopt a brindle girl whose racing name was Iruska Promqueen, did you? That's our boy's sister, and our rescue group said someone from Greensburg adopted her. Would love to connect with them!

Our boy's name is Rico's Dexter. We adopted him in 2010.

If you find out who ended up with her, let me know. We love finding greyhound people in the area. What adoption group was it?

You are right close to the WPA Humane Society, who does a very cool greyhound basics class. We actually did it twice :)

Guest RMarie

@ a_daerr and jenniferk...

I'm new to this forum but have been following it for the past few weeks. My husband and I live in Pittsburgh and are in the process of adopting a greyhound with the help of GHG. He or she will be an only dog (at least for the foreseeable future), so we'd love to socialize with local greys, and their owners, once the adoption occurs.

I'm new to this forum but have been following it for the past few weeks. My husband and I live in Pittsburgh and are in the process of adopting a greyhound with the help of GHG. He or she will be an only dog (at least for the foreseeable future), so we'd love to socialize with local greys, and their owners, once the adoption occurs.

Yay! What part of Pittsburgh?

Guest RMarie

We live in Bellevue, work downtown, go to a gym on the Northside.

You're in Greensburg, right? How often to you come up to the city?

Guest jenniferk

Our boy's name is Rico's Dexter. We adopted him in 2010.

If you find out who ended up with her, let me know. We love finding greyhound people in the area. What adoption group was it?

You are right close to the WPA Humane Society, who does a very cool greyhound basics class. We actually did it twice :)

We adopted from Three Rivers Greyhounds. I will definitely let you know if I found out who adopted her. I heard about that greyhound class, but they don't seem to be offering it now. We just had an in-home consult with a trainer who teaches at the humane society and works with a lot of greys. (I'll be posting my notes on this forum--lots of good stuff!)

Guest jenniferk

Yay! I also really want to have him meet other greys. We've only just started seeing greys out in the past week, and he gets super excited and happy whenever he sees them. We frequently take him to the dog park in Riverview Park. It's behind the observatory, completely fenced, shaded, and really big. Do you know if your grey will be good with small dogs? There are actually 2 dog parks--1 just for small dogs--but many dog owners let their small dogs into the main dog park. Luckily my boy likes small dogs best! Just last night we took him and met another local grey & his owner who lives in Millvale. He just adopted and said he'd be taking his grey to the dog park a lot too. If you want to schedule a meetup just email me at jenniferkentpgh at gmail. Good luck with your adoption!

Guest RMarie

@jenniferk

I was not aware of the fenced dog park at Riverview Park. We'll definitely check it out once we have our dog. We don't have one picked out, yet, though, so we have no idea about its compatibility with small dogs. Hopefully, this weekend our organization will be picking one up that will be right for us. Time will tell...but I've been "nesting" for weeks now...I really want a dog!!! But, I want to make sure we get the right dog for us, so I'm trying to be patient.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miasmom

What a handsome boy! Congratulations on adopting him. When we adopted our first grey years ago we kept the basket muzzle on for the first several meetings and kept our grey on leash while she met the cats (all of our cats come from a feral rescue). They eventually learned to tolerate each other.

Oh wow! He is handsome! I adopted an almost 2 year old 9 years ago, he used to bark in my face when he wanted something, used to scare me bad, now he just whines, or at least barks away from me, now I appreciate him letting me know he needs to go outside, back then I about had a heart attack. They learn, we learn, he sounds pretty darn perfect....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Yay! I also really want to have him meet other greys. We've only just started seeing greys out in the past week, and he gets super excited and happy whenever he sees them. We frequently take him to the dog park in Riverview Park. It's behind the observatory, completely fenced, shaded, and really big. Do you know if your grey will be good with small dogs? There are actually 2 dog parks--1 just for small dogs--but many dog owners let their small dogs into the main dog park. Luckily my boy likes small dogs best! Just last night we took him and met another local grey & his owner who lives in Millvale. He just adopted and said he'd be taking his grey to the dog park a lot too. If you want to schedule a meetup just email me at jenniferkentpgh at gmail. Good luck with your adoption!

@jenniferk

I was not aware of the fenced dog park at Riverview Park. We'll definitely check it out once we have our dog. We don't have one picked out, yet, though, so we have no idea about its compatibility with small dogs. Hopefully, this weekend our organization will be picking one up that will be right for us. Time will tell...but I've been "nesting" for weeks now...I really want a dog!!! But, I want to make sure we get the right dog for us, so I'm trying to be patient.

If either of you want to make the trek to Cranberry, we are having a doggie party for Truman on Saturday, 9/1/12 at Lucky Paws Pet Resort!

Also, RMarie, if you want a nice dog, my foster is amazing. Just saying... :)

Guest RMarie

@ a_daerr (I haven't figured out the quote function, yet):

If the foster you're referring to is Rico's Payne, I saw the photos you posted the other day...and he is beautiful! My husband and I were looking for a black grey, and that guy's pics made my heart flutter. Unfortunately, we visited another dog this past weekend and are completely smitten with him. He's not black, but a dark brindle, and an absolute sweetheart. We're moving forward with adopting him. If all goes well, we should have him my Labor Day weekend, so I'll see if we have time to make it up to Truman's party. At minimum, I'll post his intro to this forum. I'm so excited!

@ a_daerr (I haven't figured out the quote function, yet):

If the foster you're referring to is Rico's Payne, I saw the photos you posted the other day...and he is beautiful! My husband and I were looking for a black grey, and that guy's pics made my heart flutter. Unfortunately, we visited another dog this past weekend and are completely smitten with him. He's not black, but a dark brindle, and an absolute sweetheart. We're moving forward with adopting him. If all goes well, we should have him my Labor Day weekend, so I'll see if we have time to make it up to Truman's party. At minimum, I'll post his intro to this forum. I'm so excited!

Yay! Can I ask, what group did you go with, and what is the name of the dog you're getting?

Guest jenniferk

If either of you want to make the trek to Cranberry, we are having a doggie party for Truman on Saturday, 9/1/12 at Lucky Paws Pet Resort!

Also, RMarie, if you want a nice dog, my foster is amazing. Just saying... :)

Thanks for the invite! I've been wanting to go there so Django can play in the pool, so we'll definitely come. What time?