Da Vid Starting Water Therapy

He has finally healed well enough to start 3 weeks of hydrotherapy. (I think) What is going to kill me is lifting him into the back of the SUV. I really don't think I can do it. Vet said he could not jump. I have tried 2 ramps and we can forget it. Any thoughts?

Is it possible to get your hands under his chest and lift his front end, then get behind and lift his back end? It's how I've gotten 70 and 80 pound labs up onto a grooming table at work.

(That is, stand behind him and reach over his back to get both hands under his chest--one from each side of him.) If you can't do it with your hands, you might be able to lift his front end with a big beach towel under his chest, then you boost his back end up.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He has finally healed well enough to start 3 weeks of hydrotherapy. (I think) What is going to kill me is lifting him into the back of the SUV. I really don't think I can do it. Vet said he could not jump. I have tried 2 ramps and we can forget it. Any thoughts?

Following this topic because while I don't have this problem now, who knows what the future will bring and like you, I'd be doing it alone. I hope you get some great ideas!

http://forum.greytal...made-dog-steps/

Batmom posted the instructions for these steps. I made them, and they are terrific. I thank her every time we use them. Maybe they could help you and Da Vid? It's wonderful that he is doing well enough now to start the next stage of his recovery!

SegugionewstepsBOH.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. Annie Oooh M. 

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest IrskasMom

This Steps above look fantastic . I had bought Steps for $ 200 and had to send them back . Tell us , where did you get the Foam ??? I will make them to , I have plenty of Ducktape :lol . Please post one more time the specific's .

Erika, there is a link in my post above, but here are the instructions from Batmom's post in case that doesn't work. I got the insulation foam at Home Depot, as well as the glue and carpet pieces. These steps are super light and all of my hounds use them without any trouble!

Steps are 26" deep x 19" wide x @ 11" tall. Each step is 13" deep (front to back). Bottom step @ 6.5" tall, top step @ 4.5" tall.

Materials: 2" thick foam insulation board, glue for foam insulation board, carpet scraps for treads, a piece of rubberized shelf liner for the bottom (so it won't slide around), a short piece of rope for the handle, a 4" x 1.5" block of wood for the handle (you can't see the block of wood, it's at the back of the steps); Liquid Nails glue for foamboard (I think it was project or construction adhesive); duct tape to put the rubberized shelf liner on.

Tools: Hacksaw or your favorite small power saw or a serrated knife (steak knife) to cut the foam board, utility knife to cut the carpet scraps, scissors to cut the rope and shelf liner. I used a drill with long bit to make holes for the rope handle, but you could just as easily notch the underside of the top step with your saw or knife. (Steak knife actually works *very* well to cut this stuff.)

Procedure: I cut 3 pieces 26" x 19" for the bottom step, 2 pieces 13" x 19" for the top step, stacked 'em up, glued 'em together. Pile some books on top and let sit for 3-4 days -- the glue takes awhile to dry. Drilled holes through the bottom of the top step from front to back. Threaded a piece of lightweight rope (clothesline would work) through the holes. Left 3-4" of play in the rope, then tied to the ends of the block of wood in back. The rope handle makes it easy to pick up the steps with one hand. Block of wood in back holds the rope tight to the riser of the step in front, so there's no loop of rope flopping around to be tripped over; basically, you have a rope handle on the front side, wood handle on the back side. Last, glued carpet to the stair treads and taped rubber stuff to the bottom.

The whole thing *might* weigh as much as 3 pounds. I can pick it up and stow it in the car, etc. with one hand. Takes up some space, but no sharp edges and it's so light that I don't worry about it becoming a projectile if I have to stow it with the dogs; if no passenger I put it in the front passenger seat.

Holler if you have questions or want me to take more pictures. Materials all told cost maybe $20.00. You don't have to measure or cut perfectly, the dog won't care. Only caveat -- it IS lightweight, so if you're using it on a non-level surface you want to make sure it's stable before allowing dog up or down. I always set my foot on the edge of the bottom step to hold it steady when dog is using it, in case dog bounds etc. If dog will use unattended, I suggest adding a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the bottom to make it heavier; or you could glue some velcro on and velcro it to the sofa/bed/carpet (hook side on the step, soft side or nothing at all on your furniture). You wouldn't need much velcro -- it really is that light in weight.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. Annie Oooh M. 

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oooh, glad somebody else has found the steps useful! I still use mine regularly.

Erika, I got the 2" thick foam at Home Depot. Lowe's and maybe *some* Ace Hardware stores would also have it. My Home Depot wouldn't cut the 2" thick but it's easy enough to cut with a Ginzu knife or an oldfashioned serrated bread knife .... or a cheap disposable hacksaw ....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK. I now have the steps. Please tell me how to get the dog to use them. He gets that far off look on his face, freezes and will not put his paws on the first step. So, I put one paw on the step. And he stood there. Lady then ran around the steps and just jumped in the back of the SUV. So, he decided to do that too. I stopped him. But, he still would not go up the steps. We are doing this with the garage doors closed (of course) and it is now about 200 degrees. I finally gave up for tonight. Tomorrow it is show time because we are going to the surgeon to see if he is healed well enough to do the water therapy. I think I will get up about 6:00 figuring it will take about 3 hours to accomplish this. I love this dog, but he is killing me!! LOL