Chewing On Furniture :(

Guest KatJon

Guest KatJon

Rhythm is 3, and has been with us for almost a year.... And all of a sudden, he has started chewing on my wood dresser! It is right next to his doggy bed where he sleeps at night. I caught him chewing on it early this morning, and can see where he has been chewing on it multiple times. He has plenty of other things to chew on (toys, antlers, etc.) and has never exhibited an urge to chew before. This seems to have come out of nowhere...

1. Any ideas on why he is doing this? Maybe boredom? Or something smells good on it?
  2. Any suggestions on how to stop him from chewing? I am going to cover up that area with a towel or blanket as a temporary fix. I found something online that suggested bitter apple spray, but I don't want to further ruin my furniture.

Any suggestions would be great!

Guest ShanYu

The bitter apple won't ruin your furniture - you don't need to use much, and he won't chew there again once he tastes it. It worked great for me when Nike thought the chair leg next to his bed was a chew toy. He has not chewed since then.

Mimi chewed wood from when we got her at age 8 until she died at age 15. For the longest time we blamed our younger hound until we caught her in the act. She chewed the footboard of our bed, both of our Pottery Barn end tables, an antique dresser, new tv stand, etc. It irritated me at the time but now I look at those places and think of her. She was always so proper and non-doggy in every other way. For her I think it was just something to do.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Bitter Applie might have worked for "Shan Yu," but many dogs consider it a lovely condiment.

Move the bed away from the dresser. Sounds like he's just bored, and that's what's within reach.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Razzy chews the corners and of most of our wood furniture and the bitter spray does not deter her one bit. The worst part is, she does it right in front of us! We think she is just looking for attention, but she had also been crated for a year because of it. When she does it we try to give her a new toy or a rawhide to chew on; Problem, is, she can get so bratty , that she soon learned that if she chews, she gets a rawhide, so we had to stop that for a little while. Good luck!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrianRke

Frank has chewed some furniture in the past and I used bitter apple spray which DID take the finish off :(

I sanded it down with the same dremel I use for their nails and got a touch up stain marker and it looks pretty good now. He hasnt chewed anything lately and he only did it when I was gone so I think he was probably releasing frustration.

Maybe put a poster board between his bed and the dresser and spray the poster board?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Get some hot sauce. Preferably one with ghost chili or other really hot ingredients. Jalepeno and Habenero really arent that hot, so dont bother with them. Simply mix the hot sauce into a spray bottle, consistency of your choice (thicker the better), then spray on the wood. Solution

Bitter Applie might have worked for "Shan Yu," but many dogs consider it a lovely condiment.

Move the bed away from the dresser. Sounds like he's just bored, and that's what's within reach.

Make sure he has toys in his bed with him. If that fails, use the basket muzzle at night.

Both good suggestions.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Molly and Mason have both been caught in the act of chewing on furniture. Stealthy they aren't! I give them rawhides and that takes care of it. I wouldn't ever consider putting hot sauce on the furniture...mean!

For my 2 they chew furniture when they need to chew something.

If all else fails that's what muzzles are for.