Introducing Baby

Guest 2GreytsMom

Guest 2GreytsMom

Hi! I'm happy to say that I've just become a grandma for the first time!

I'm concerned about introducing the doggies to my new granddaughter. My daughter-in-law is kind of intimidated by the dogs. They get pretty excited when we have company and I'm working with them and it's gotten better. They don't jump any more but they are still rushing at people. I've been told that they want the doggies crated when they come over. I'd like to someday be able to have them all co-exist in harmony!

Does anyone have any advice for me?? or point me in the direction of a prior thread on the subject?

Help!

Go visit them at their house?

I personally think it's pretty bold to tell you what you have to do in your own home with your pets. Of course baby gating them out of the main area where you'd be visiting is not really a hardship for anyone--and until the baby is mobile, it's all sort of a non-issue.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Going slow with your dogs and your daughter in law is probably a good idea. Baby is pretty immobile for the first several months, so that will help. I'd maybe offer to baby gate the dogs in another room where everyone can see each other to start, then maybe bring one dog at a time, leashed, for meetings with both mom and baby. Encourage your daughter in law to be calm to set the example for baby. When baby is mobile and crawling around on the floor, it will likely be best to baby gate them away anyway. Enjoy the baby!!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I think that's a bit unfair to crate the dogs every time the baby comes over, after all it's the dogs who live there. I have a now 21 month old daughter who lives quite peacefully with my two greyhounds and three cats. I would do introductions slowly with the dogs leashed (and muzzled if you feel more secure that way) one dog at a time. As others have said your granddaughter will not be moving around for several months and if your dogs are anything like mine will bore of her quite quickly. I remember when we brought my daughter home from the hospital Corinna (my female) was a tad over excited at first especially when my daughter squeaked. We would just redirect her attention and give her treats when she looked away from the baby (just like cat training, lol). It was only a day or two until the novelty wore off and Corinna actually became quite protective and mothering to my daughter. My male Wally was indifferent to her from the beginning and not much has changed since.

In all honesty I've had to do a lot more dog proofing with my daughter then I have had to do baby proofing with my dogs. The dogs seem to naturally be aware to be more careful around her and have never once shown any aggression. We've taught my daughter to not to go near the dogs when they are lying down, not to every take a toy from them, not to ever hit or kick them and especially never go anywhere near them when they are eating. All and all she is good with the rules because they have been instilled in her from day one. I actually love how she is with animals as she is neither fearful of them or over excited by them. Babies and dogs can live well together and I hope you get to experience this too.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

If your daughter in law is intimated by the dogs - it is her that you need to be working with so she can be calmer when baby is with her.

Plus your dogs have to learn to be calmer when company is there. Exercise them in the yard before the guests come over to tire them out so they are not so rambunchious (sp).

As far as the baby --what the others have said. I would be most concerned of the dogs stepping on the baby in their zeal to get to another dog or adult, or knocking into them when they are turning around. Keeping the baby upright in a baby carrier will help somewhat from being stepped on. A paw/claw in the face or eye would not be a good thing for baby

Babies are pretty helpless for quite awhile - I can understand her concerns and so should you. Dogs should not hurt the child intentionally, unless they would get jealous of your reduced lack of attention to them, which should not happen for occasional visits, but your job will be to prevent any type of accidents. So in my mind babygating them off is the best solution unless you want to bring in one at a time to meet the baby and so they can see what is going on..

Guest 2GreytsMom

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've pretty much thought of them myself. It's not like I've never had a baby around dogs. My oldest son (the new father) was 5 when we got our first non-grey dog and my younger son was born when the dog was still a puppy. We've since had and lost another non-grey over the years. We got our 2 greys when both boys were out of the house. It makes me sad to say that my son & his wife think my two fur babies are just nuisances :( It's funny but I really think that the dogs try to get their attention so hard because they get no acknowledgement when they are here. If they just gave them a head rub, they'd probably go lay down and fall asleep. This is probably going to come down to me going to their house all the time to avoid the dogs... The irony is that my older son lives 4 houses away but the younger son, who lives in another state, and his girlfriend absolutely love the dogs and want to take them home with them!

It's hard when the people you love, don't love your fur babies!!