Eating Dirt And Diarrhea

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

Tatam has been suffering from on and off diarrhea sometimes with urgency for just under a week. For the last month or two he has also been very focused on eating dirt when out in the backyard. To the point of digging a hole to get it. Eating dirt is definitely new for him. At first I thought it was just another weird thing about dogs but now that his tummy is bothering him I'm starting to rethink it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Is there anything I should be looking for?

I've got a call into our vet, and I'm waiting to hear back to see when I can get an appt. From a health point of view, I worry about him the most. :( He's always been sort of fragile since coming to us...

Hi - My grey, Elliott has been eating dirt from a particular spot in our back yard for about the last two weeks. He lays on the same spot in the grass, where there is a little patch of moist dirt, and he munches just like he is eating out of his food bowl - big chomps! He doesn't do it when we are out walking, or at other people's homes, just when he is in the back yard and in that spot. We never leave him alone in the yard for very long, and we always leave the back screen open so he can come back in when he is done taking care of his "business", so I don't think he is doing it because something is upsetting him in the yard ... He hasn't had any tummy problems or diarrhea - just seems to really like this one tasty spot. I will be interested to see the other responses, and am glad you posted!

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

One time years ago I began to feed Goldie California Naturals food. All of a sudden he went nuts over dirt eating. He had never done it before. He also got the runs. You would have thought it was t-bone steak or something. Anyway I switched to Solid Gold and he quit eating it as suddenly as he had started and the runs went away. Now I prefer raw feeding if possible.

Hi - My grey, Elliott has been eating dirt from a particular spot in our back yard for about the last two weeks. He lays on the same spot in the grass, where there is a little patch of moist dirt, and he munches just like he is eating out of his food bowl - big chomps! He doesn't do it when we are out walking, or at other people's homes, just when he is in the back yard and in that spot. We never leave him alone in the yard for very long, and we always leave the back screen open so he can come back in when he is done taking care of his "business", so I don't think he is doing it because something is upsetting him in the yard ... He hasn't had any tummy problems or diarrhea - just seems to really like this one tasty spot. I will be interested to see the other responses, and am glad you posted!

not trying to hijack but hope you come back to check this thread!

I have Lea's son, PTL Laroach :) I am so excited to meet his mom and would like to know more about her! I tried to PM you but you don't have enough posts so hoping you'll see this :)

Kim

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway