How Many Eggs Is Too Many?

Not sure where to post this, but here goes: we have our own hens and therefore a lot of eggs. Tracker gets one every day. But I wonder whether dogs can have cholesterol issues?? And how many eggs would be too many? Has anybody ever come across a study on that?

Guest MnMDogs

I wouldn't worry about it. Eggs were demonized many years ago, and they're really a very healthy and nutritious food. Cholesterol in food doesn't equal cholesterol in the body (which is made by the liver).

I wish I could take your extra eggs for you:)

Raw or cooked? Mine loved the occasional raw egg when I had chickens.

Too many raw eggs can create issues with biotin binding and absorption, but you have to feed a whole bunch of them to make that happen, according a past Biochemistry professor.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I wouldn't worry about it. Eggs were demonized many years ago, and they're really a very healthy and nutritious food. Cholesterol in food doesn't equal cholesterol in the body (which is made by the liver).

I wish I could take your extra eggs for you:)

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I snooped around the internet and one thing has become crystal clear: nobody knows how many eggs are too many for a dog. Human studies don't necessarily apply to dogs. Unless somebody actually does real research on cholesterol and heart disease on canines, everything else remains guess work. The range I found online on what's healthy (or not) for dogs was so extreme that it's obvious nobody really knows. So I'll just stick to what I do now, which is one a day, and keep my fingers crossed. One day someone is going to pay for a study, because there might be money in prescribing statin drugs for dogs...

• 2 weeks later...

I snooped around the internet and one thing has become crystal clear: nobody knows how many eggs are too many for a dog. Human studies don't necessarily apply to dogs. Unless somebody actually does real research on cholesterol and heart disease on canines, everything else remains guess work. The range I found online on what's healthy (or not) for dogs was so extreme that it's obvious nobody really knows. So I'll just stick to what I do now, which is one a day, and keep my fingers crossed. One day someone is going to pay for a study, because there might be money in prescribing statin drugs for dogs...

Sounds sensible to me. I really don't think one egg a day is excessive. I know people that have put a raw egg on their dog's food every day for years - and they never had heart attacks. I think it's a fine, natural protein source full or goodness. And - nobody has proven otherwise. I feed kibble- so honestly - there could be an egg a day in that - I don't know.

I'd go with it. I give my grey an egg at least once a week. Either raw on kibble, or Sunday breakfast scrambled leftovers. She won't eat shells though. My other grey LOVED a raw egg - with shell.

One more thing - have you tried giving raw eggs frozen? I've heard that a raw egg frozen (given outside) is a real treat in the summer. Haven't tried it myself though!

• 2 weeks later...