Bringing Items To People...

This behaviour is not concerning, I'm just very curious as to why he does it. Most google/greytalk searches on this don't really answer my question.

We brought our new 2 year old grey Boo home 2 weeks ago. He is very shy and reserved but is slowly settling in. We brought him out to visit my parents at their cabin with a huge fully fenced yard this past weekend. They also have a small dog and he was ecstatic to run, play, and even wagged his tail (which we've never seen before!).

Anyways, we left him with my parents for a day at the cabin and my mom said that during that time, he would pick up items (laptop case, etc) and bring them to her, drop them at her feet, and walk away. He has never exhibited that behaviour before or with anyone else.

Does anyone elses hound bring them household items? And and insights as to why?

Thanks!

Edited by brianamac

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Early in his retirement Segugio once brought me the TV remote :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hadji's slowly learning to bring back the tennis ball after I throw it, because I'll throw it again and he gets to play more. Other than that, he picks up anything we leave around and carefully drops it on his bed. We always know where to look if a shoe goes missing.

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi brings things to his bed--socks, shoes, remotes, undies, everything. Never chews, just takes them over there. I'm trying to teach him to fetch, and I'm sure one day he will. Looks like your boy has a head start on fetching! If it gets out of control then you can correct it, but otherwise, it's cute. Take photos! :)

Two of our four bring collectibles to their beds. Mostly shoes, but a T-shirt today. Brucie's ritual after every meal is to take Omie's food dish (when empty) and bring it into the family room where the beds are.

Your dog is probably doing the same thing, except at the cabin, he didn't know where his 'bed' was? :dunno

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest ethan

Gordy always takes my shoes/slippers and brings them to his bed. I now know where to look for my lost items and sometimes they are somewhat squished after he's slept in the bed all night on top of them!

Guest karilynn

My boy does this with his toys. He has a big basket full of toys and he likes to bring the toys to me, one at a time, and drop them at my feet. He looks very proud of himself! Sometimes when I pick them up, he grabs it out of my hand and runs off with it. Hehe! So cute!

A lot of greyhounds are "collectors" and will pick up anything that happens to be lying around. Some will take them to their beds or crates and others will just move them from place to place. Just thank your lucky stars he isn't like my Dammit Arrow and chews up everything he collects. I can't tell you the number of remotes he has chewed up among other things.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Paige does this, but usually then begins tossing whatever it is around. Never anything on the floor - always the things in the middle of the dining room table.

I'm yet to figure out how she reaches them.

Or underwear. Dirty, clean, fabulous or not so fabulous. Usually when we have company.

Guest RooMcClanahan

Yep, Seamus does this when he's excited, like when we come home from work. He'll go to the laundry basket, grab whatever's stinkiest, and take it downstairs. Like others have said, he never chews, just moves stuff around! We think it's great, and it helps us out by taking dirty laundry closer to the washer! :lol:

Oh, what a sweet memory. When we first adopted Ben he would collect my boots and take them to his bed.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

@Time4anap: HAHAHA!!

Cute to hear this is just something they do... at first I was sad that he gives presents to my mom and not to my husband or I. This morning, however, he came jumping into bed with a can of beer he found on the counter. Granted it was empty (and morning!), but I can see that trick becoming useful. Once I figure out how to post photos I will add the ones I caught of his beer fetching skills!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

sounds like your parents have excellent dog karma. let them work w/ him and see what happens. my first grey picked up the phone while it was ringing! she collect expensive handbags, shoes and bras....a really guirly guirl.my male retrieves balls, frisbees, toys and what ever. he has even jumped up caught a football (being tossed at the beach) and brought it back. the kids didn't know if they should laugh or get annoyed!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest KatJon

Our grey is a big collector.... He drags all sorts of things to his bed - toys, shoes, clothes, pillows, blankets.... I think it's cute :)