Another Neck/back Issue -- Longterm Mobility Problems?

Guest SLH2

hey all

some of you old-timers may remember my greyhound scooby (a tuxedo grey), and his sister daphne. we adopted another greyhound, alfie, who sadly passed away from cancer earlier this year.

i'm posting today about daphne. she turned 13 in february. she has had a lot of weakness in her back end/legs for the last couple of years, which does affect her mobility (after consults with a neurologlist earlier in the year, and several tests, the conclusion was that the cause of her pain was almost certainly due to old age/arthritis, etc).

fast forward to a couple of weekends ago: daphne has been restricted to leash walks for over a year now. she does tend to get quite feisty on the leash, though we try to prevent it (it's hard), my s.o. noticed that she wrenched her neck when she was having a potty break. by the following monday, daphne was in significant pain, and was having increasing difficulty walking/going to the bathroom/getting comfortable sleeping.

after a brief consult with her vet (daphne has tramadol at home, which i administered. it did not help at the time), we all decided that her pain would be best managed at the local emergency vet hospital. she spent a couple of days there. at first, it appeared her mobility issues were becoming even worse, but i believe that is because the narcotic pain meds they administered had not completely worn off. she had an x-ray at the hospital which ruled out any fractures/tumors/blood clots. an MRI would be needed to determine a herniated disc type of issue (which we have ruled out, because we are not going to put her through surgery). we've opted to try conservative therapy. she always has someone at home, and is currently confined to an x-pen on a carpeted surface. she does not have to deal with any stairs, and can be (harness) walked straight into the yard.

anyhoo, we took daphne home mid-week, thinking we'd probably be saying our goodbyes. over the weekend, she began to stand up on her bed, correct her legs from knuckling under,

and has managed to start walking by herself (obviously we still prop her up with a harness, and are there at all times when she is trying to walk).

daphne is currently taking: prednisone, gabapentin, tramadol and an antacid. her appetite is excellent (and, was excellent prior to prednisone :D).

i've searched through the threads here, and noticed a ton of you guys have experienced similar mobility issues. do you have any advice/thoughts? obviously things like chiropractors are out given that even though we can guess at what her issue is, we don't know the exact nature of her problem, and aren't going to take the risk of creating any more problems. as of right now, daphne's quality of life is low, but she's hanging in there.

I just went through this with my Missy..will be 13 in August..also had back issues for years. (stenosis and arthritis) Worsened suddenly shortly after putting Garry (11) down with osteo. i was so scared I was going to lose her too. My vet gave her a depo shot..we stopped the metacam. continued tramadol and increased the gabapentin. continued all other supplements and treatments, increasing acupuncture to weekly. perked up then went down hill again. I started adequa shots and increased gabapentin again. she now gets 300 mg every 8 hours with one tramadol. At this time she is doing great. i am keeping my fingers crossed! Has the vet checked her for stenosis?I think the depo shot and adequan is helpful. I also changed her supplements as she had been taking the same conconction for a few years..thinking maybe her system was used to it.I switched her to arthrisoothe gold. I increased her salmon oil to 3 pumps twice daily. I also just started CMO and Yucca from greyhound gang. I was told by Azmira to not give it with the depo shot as it is a natural nsaid. my vet said she could put her on oral steroids 2 weeks after the shot if she needed them...so Azmira rep and I concluded it would be ok to give the yucca then. I waited and started nearly 3 weeks after the depo shot. no stomach issues or side effects. Just wanted to share my experiences if anything could be helpful to you. Good luck!

I just went through this with my Missy..will be 13 in August..also had back issues for years. (stenosis and arthritis) Worsened suddenly shortly after putting Garry (11) down with osteo. i was so scared I was going to lose her too. My vet gave her a depo shot..we stopped the metacam. continued tramadol and increased the gabapentin. continued all other supplements and treatments, increasing acupuncture to weekly. perked up then went down hill again. I started adequa shots and increased gabapentin again. she now gets 300 mg every 8 hours with one tramadol. At this time she is doing great. i am keeping my fingers crossed! Has the vet checked her for stenosis?I think the depo shot and adequan is helpful. I also changed her supplements as she had been taking the same conconction for a few years..thinking maybe her system was used to it.I switched her to arthrisoothe gold. I increased her salmon oil to 3 pumps twice daily. I also just started CMO and Yucca from greyhound gang. I was told by Azmira to not give it with the depo shot as it is a natural nsaid. my vet said she could put her on oral steroids 2 weeks after the shot if she needed them...so Azmira rep and I concluded it would be ok to give the yucca then. I waited and started nearly 3 weeks after the depo shot. no stomach issues or side effects. Just wanted to share my experiences if anything could be helpful to you. Good luck!

thanks so much for your reply, dbullwinkel! i'm so sorry to hear about Garry, btw (:(). my greyhound alfie, who passed away earlier this year did not have osteo, but had another particularly vicious form of cancer which seemed to come out of nowhere.

very glad to hear your Missy is doing well. daphne has taken adequan on and off over the years (i am not sure whether it has had a hugely positive effect for her, tbh).

and, yes. LS has been ruled out for daphne (or, at least it was ruled out by the neurologist at the beginning of the year). most recently, i believe she only had a neck and chest x-ray. everything was "normal", but i know you can't see disc-issues usually, without doing an MRI.

thank you very much for the advice on the natural supplements, btw. i didn't realize there could be some interactions with other medications. at the moment, i'm just keeping daphne on the meds that she was prescribed at the hospital. i think the steroids are probably to thank for her swift turnaround. several of my pets have been on gabapentin in the past (with mixed results). i figure it can't hurt to try a bunch of things in a scenario like this, though.

I agree. I have learned so much from this group..it has really been a life-saver. I think the increase in both the gabapentin and acupuncture is what is really helping MIssy now. the other supplements take a while to "kick in". I am sure you will get much more quality advice from other GTers! have you tried acupuncture? it is not "invasive" is the way that chiropractic would be..helps the whole system from what I understand. just a thought! She sounds like a strong dog :)