One Step Forward And Two Steps Back...

As many of you know, working with a shy hound has it's ups and downs, something I have been experiencing with my girl in the past year and a half since she came into my life. Lately, it's been mostly ups, she's been doing so well with coming out of her shell and gaining confidence. In fact, most things don't phase her anymore, including meeting people she doesn't know. I couldn't be more proud.

Tonight we took some steps backwards. In some freak incident, a plastic bucket fell off of a high shelf right as she was walking past it. It totally freaked her out to the point where she managed to projectile vomit, urinate and spray out liquid poo all in one moment like something from a horror movie. Poor baby. Needless to say, this was not how I planned on spending my Sunday night.

So, here I am, cleaning up the house (fortunately, she was in the laundry room/ kitchen area, so all hard, very easy to clean surfaces), trying to remain cheerful and nonchalant. My poor little houndie is curled up in a ball shaking on her bed, because not only did something scary happened, but she now feels bad about having an accident in the house, even though I made it seem like as little of a deal as I could. I hope that soon she'll recover and all will be well again.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I can completely understand. Just focus on all the good stuff and know that in another year you will have a completely different pup. I can't even count the number of times Sunshine has had me in tears of frustration. I was insanely unprepared for a shy hound, and we bumbled through together. An awesome vet really helps. I wish I would have found this vet when I first brought her home.

Now she just about makes me cry every week, from laughter. She is one crazy naughty red head! Even her naughtiness is great because it's normal dog behavior.... Most of the time.... When she's not eating drywall

Hope your pup is feeling better soon!

------

Jessica

Well, the good news is that after about two hours of being upset, she got up to get a drink of water, and on the way back to her pillow stopped to pounce on her moose stuffie. The house is clean once again, and this too shall pass.

I just hate seeing her in that state when there's nothing I can do to console her except leave her alone so she can sort things out for herself.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).