Grief - My Precious Hound Is Gone...

Guest Alysmom

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie, as others have said, you have come back to a place where people truly understand what you are feeling right now. It is so clear that you and Homer shared a very special bond, one that will never be duplicated. In honoring that love and that bond, at some point, you will bring another hound into your family. I can't imagine how empty literally everything must feel, and sometimes sharing your life with another Grey who needs you is the best way to help your heart to heal. But please know that there is no time frame for grief, or for being ready to adopt again. Everyone is so different, and you will know when it is right. Homer may even make that decision for you. :beatheart The heart dogs often do. I hope that you'll be able to post a picture---we'd love to see him.

Sometimes giving in to your grief and letting yourself cry is the best way to move through one stage and into the other in your healing process. I've always cried a LOT. For some people, it might not be the most natural thing to do, but I feel like crying is the best way to get not only the sadness, but the pain, out. I usually do this by myself. I think it would freak out my husband to see me---he would feel helpless that he couldn't comfort me enough. At some point, you realize that you haven't cried that day, or a few days, and down the road, there are more smiles than tears. You have so much to celebrate and to cherish---memories of a wonderful companion can never be taken away. Grief is sneaky though, sometimes you'll think you're doing fine, and it will hit you unexpectedly---maybe you turn around and expect to see him there, or the joy has gone from some simple thing you did together. You're not alone in feeling this as well. I think we just need to realize that it is part of having loved so deeply.

Come and talk when you need to---we'll be thinking of you with much sympathy. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Homer.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Alysmom

I have a beautiful photo, but as I mentioned before, I have no idea how to post it. Someone said use Photobucket or something like that. I have no idea how that is done or what that is, I am sorry, I am not very good at this. I do have a gorgeous photo of him, I put it on my facebook page, but I have no idea how to get it here. I spent over an hour the other night trying to do it without success.

Today is day #4.....the pain still aches. I hope I can just cry a bit less today.... I went on a Northwest Greyhound rescue site and added myself to their emails. It said something on their site about volunteering for events. Maybe that would be a really healing thing for me to do.....Maybe I'd make a complete fool of myself crying myself silly.....I dont know, it just sounds like something that might be healing and maybe slowly lead me to another dog that might fit into our family.

This will probably sound totally stupid.... right now I KNOW he's gone, I KNOW he's not coming back.... but there's something wierd when I think about another dog I feel like I am filling his spot so I am admitting he is never coming back..... Does that make any sense whatsoever?????????? It is like a vicious circle in my mind, knowing that sharing that love might help my heart, and I know that Homer had ALL the love a hound could ever have, and I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was Homer's person and he loved me completely and more than anyone else in this world -- I know that for a fact...we were inseperable. Although I have had other dogs in my life (and loved them hugely and I do mean that) there was just something about the ***bond*** Homer and I had I have never had with any other dog. I was his human, he was my dog. He loved others, but I was the one he looked for and cried for when I was out of his sight. I've never had a dog cling to me like that. When I came home he did what we called the "happy hound dance"..... You know the "Happy Hound Dance" .... have any of you seen it??? We whirl around in the small family room front legs up high and whirling around like a bull in a china closet so happy to say hello we almost explode...... Dang, I miss that sooooooooo much.

I gotta stop... I am bawling all over myself again.... My eyes are huge and swollen....I look bad.

Sorry to be such a dummy.....could I email somebody his photo and have you post it for me????? Thanks...... Homer's Computer Inept Mother

I'm sorry it hurts so bad. I do know the pain :(

If you have his picture on FB, just open up the picture, right click and pick copy. Then just paste it here on the page. That's how I do it.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

my dh and I have always agreed on this. We will always adopt another grey to honour the memory of Bailey. Brooke did not replace Bailey, she was our way of honouring Bailey and a testament to our broken heart that was broken and empty, but quickly filled with love again. Our hearts are huge and there's lots of room for more, no one will be replaced though, we just continue to fill up our heart.

Only you will know when that time is right. It's a very lovely pic.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So glad you were able to put his Facebook picture on here. Now we can all share his beauty---inside and out!

I think you should consider, when you're ready (and right now, it seems like that day will never come), volunteering. You'll see....

Jan is right, even though Homer can never, will never, be replaced, our hearts have a huge capacity for love.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

We all can relate one way or another with what you are feeling and hearing. At least you were able to be with Homer on his final journey. Now the journey is yours alone but know that we all feel for you right now. Godspeed Homer and may the wind always be at your back sweet boy who was much loved.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Awwww.....he was definitely a handsome guy. I remember after Jack died that I never thought I would stop crying. That first week was terrible. I am not sure how many days I cried, but I noticed that my crying times grew shorter and then finally one day I realized that I didn't cry at all that day. However, the next day I did. LOL I made it one day and I knew I was making progress. It does get easier. I know right now it doesn't seem like it will, but it will. It's been a year for me and I still have days when I cry because I miss him so much. There will never be another Jack for me as there will never be another Homer for you. They were one of a kind. You are not alone. We all know all you feel. :bighug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Homer was indeed a handsome hound. Thank you for sharing that photo.

Volunteering with the adoption group might be helpful. You will certainly be with others who will know how you feel about Homer.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I am so sorry for your loss. Homer was so very handsome, and he does look exceptionally proud, dignified and gentle.

His daddy Fortress was my Beth's granddad -- he sired a number of important sires, so there are a lot of relatives on this site.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest alwy151

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel about coming here for support my baby girl died suddenly almost 2 months ago. I'm still a mess but it does get better. Remember the good times you shared together. I've stopped thinking about seeing her last moments and I spend my time remembering her smile, kisses and sweet personality.

As time goes on you will also...

*hugs to you*

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed Homer.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Alysmom

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel about coming here for support my baby girl died suddenly almost 2 months ago. I'm still a mess but it does get better. Remember the good times you shared together. I've stopped thinking about seeing her last moments and I spend my time remembering her smile, kisses and sweet personality.

As time goes on you will also...

*hugs to you*

Thank you so much - my condolences to you as well.....it's like a piece of your heart is missing. Today I haven't cried (okay only a tiny bit) since noon (before noon...not so good). I am seeing him away from his final hours in my mind now - which helps a lot. I want to forget that part -- I really do. How did you lose your pup, if you don't mind my asking.... It is so shocking when they go suddenly.... for me it hit me like a ton of bricks, I never expected this. My mom is really sick and in a nursing home -- last Tuesday they told me she would die within the hour....long story short, she is still here -- my hound is gone. Life never quite turns out the way you expect..... Blessings to you and your broken heart as well.... Julie