Grief - My Precious Hound Is Gone...

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Wow -- relatives!! We are family..... I found some pics -- I am about to fall on my face now from all the crying and I am exhausted....tomorrow I will come back on after work and figure out how to post a pic..... So sorry about Maya -- have meds helped??? How old is she??? Homer was starting to get stiff in the hind end too.... It is so very heartbreaking -- my heart goes out to you too..... hugs

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GenetJen

Wow -- relatives!! We are family..... I found some pics -- I am about to fall on my face now from all the crying and I am exhausted....tomorrow I will come back on after work and figure out how to post a pic..... So sorry about Maya -- have meds helped??? How old is she??? Homer was starting to get stiff in the hind end too.... It is so very heartbreaking -- my heart goes out to you too..... hugs

Thank you. Maya is 11 in a couple months, so relatively young. I thought I'd have her for another 4 years at least. We chose palliative care at the suggestion of two vets. She is a poor healer, frail at only 45 lbs, and horribly unsteady on three legs. We decided we didn't wanted to put her through a major surgery at her age and current condition. I just seemed too much to ask of her. Pain meds are helping manage the pain, but we're having to increase to keep her comfortable. Taking it a day at a time.

Thank you -- I will go and look. I found some pictures here in doing some digging.... Tomorrow I will look after work. If you don't mind, please tell me how to do it and I will. Thank you so very much!!!

I believe you have to create an account with the website and now (it's been years since I uploaded Maya's pics) it looks like you have to be a verified user to edit a hound's profile/add pics. It looks like Blitzkrieg can help you out, though!

Pics of Maya. :)

DSCF4067.jpg

Memorial Day a year ago.

DSC00617.jpg

Love her ears. :)

JB-60-1.jpg?t=1343020196

The fam almost 2 years ago. Maya's the eldest. :)

Guest Flaco25

I am so sorry. I had to let my boy go in February. My first greyhound, my best friend, my love. It is midnight and I could not sleep because I was thinking about him.

It is horrible. Please know that it is ok to cry. I still do. I had to take some days of work because I was in bad shape.

I cried so much my husband was getting worried...confused maybe.

My sister said to me one day..."sister you are a very spiritual person, please look at the meaning and purpose that Flaco had in your life. How did he help you become a better person? Embrace his legacy.

It took me months...but finally decided to volunteer for the organization that brought him to my life. I feel so much better...I do fostering, meet and greets, etc. I know Flaco is very proud that I am helping others like him find loving homes.

I send you a big hug.

It is never easy to let a loved hound go. Each time, you'll lose a piece of your heart.

I hope the pain you are feeling now will soon be replaced with warm and happy memories of Homer and the times you had together.

I also lost my beautiful Rainy :weep to Lung Cancer in October. I know the pain. I cried for days and the house still feels so empty without her gentle spirit.

I'm sending a hug your way today. I wish I could do something or say something to ease your pain.

:f_red

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I am so sorry! I know that phrase doesn't help. You did the right thing for him. You showed him that you loved him so much you weren't going to let him suffer any. That is the hardest thing to do.

I wish I could take the pain away for you, but I am positive he is watching you from above and showering you with love,

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Julie, I am so very very sorry. Losing a pup is heartbreaking and there is no easy way to say goodbye. I know what you mean by his cries and I lost my Jack recently and he was yipping in pain when he left me in my arms at home. There was nothing I could do but plead for him to come back....he broke my heart like your precious boy has broken yours. Again truly sorry.

Run free Homer, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My heart is breaking for you. Take comfort in that you were strong enough to put him first and lovingly release him from his broken and worn body as he would have helped and loved you if the tables were turned. :grouphug Yes I so understand the uniqueness of "greyhound" love. I have been able to find other love in the world but none so piercing as greyhound love. When my first hound crossed over I adopted another within 48 hours-I NEEDED greyhound love to help me mourn and having been exposed to it-didn't see how I could live without it. It's all about the love. This is what one dog related to his owner after he crossed over and he was right:

"The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_lay

"For love is as strong as death....

Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Guest Blitzkrieg

i am a verifyied greyhound-data memeber and can update pages.

just post the pics (up to 3) here and the text you want and i will update his page.

when i lost Blitz i was completely and totally distraut

i had no idea greyhound-data existed , but by googling his sire and dam i found it

through it found one of Blitzs' nieces running at Dubuque and was able to see her run

then i found a litter that was 3/4 his blood and i now have one of that litter here with me.

following his brothers, sisters and nieces gave me a sort of connection to him.

and i just know he sent Wilbon to me - they are so much alike

your boys sire was very prolific - i bet there are more than a few half brothers and sisters here on Greytalk

Edited by Blitzkrieg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please feel free to read my blog about grief (linkin my siggie) a number of people have wrote to me and inidcated how much it helped them when the pain was overwhelming.

What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest budsmom

I am so very sorry. You made the hardest decision any of us ever have to make - you freed Homer from his pain and instead took it on yourself. Be gentle with yourself, grief is a process and we all experience it differently. Whatever you are feeling is what is right and necessary for you to grieve. Know that you are not alone and that eventually all the good memories will be what you think about first, not the sadness.

Guest Alysmom

Hi again -- Gosh, it's Monday morning. My husband is gone to work -- I got up to go out to the barn (my boy always has to go out) -- I leave my daughter sleeping in the house and feel so eery, scared -- no one is in the house to guard her. Homer was the best guard dog ever. I knew no one was there when he was on duty. I feel broken, sad beyond sad and vulnerable.... I just hope I can prop myself up well enough at work today..... God rest his soul.... Thanks for all the pics....

When is it time to think about another hound? How could I ever do it??? How can I find one as completely gentle so my cats are safe??? I have a million and one questions....

Thanks for posting the pics....they are so much comfort

Sending my sympathy :f_white:grouphug

We all know your pain :cry1 I hope he sends you someone special when it is time. I just read your question: it's time whenever you are ready. I personally, cannot be without a furkid. When one leaves, it makes room for another to have a forever home.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I am so sorry. I lost my boy a year ago and my heart still hurts for him. Your pain is definitely understood here. You are in my thoughts.

Hi again -- Gosh, it's Monday morning. My husband is gone to work -- I got up to go out to the barn (my boy always has to go out) -- I leave my daughter sleeping in the house and feel so eery, scared -- no one is in the house to guard her. Homer was the best guard dog ever. I knew no one was there when he was on duty. I feel broken, sad beyond sad and vulnerable.... I just hope I can prop myself up well enough at work today..... God rest his soul.... Thanks for all the pics....

When is it time to think about another hound? How could I ever do it??? How can I find one as completely gentle so my cats are safe??? I have a million and one questions....

Thanks for posting the pics....they are so much comfort

When to adopt again? That is up to you. Some people adopt immediately. My new boy arrived about 6 weeks after Jack died. The house was just too silent without a goofy boy running around in it and my female grey was as lonely as we were. My new boy, Joey, was not a replacement for Jack. No dog could ever fill Jack's shoes. Joey was there to help heal our broken hearts. He made us laugh and smile again.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest ladyhound

Julie,

I am so sorry for your loss. As you have read already, you are in a place where we understand exactly what you are going through. It brought tears to my eyes reading your words. I miss my little girl, Luna, every single day and it's been just over two years. My biggest comfort is that she is whole and healed now -- no more evil cancer!-- also that I know we will be together again someday and then it will be forever.

Re: maybe adopting another. Yes, that is a hard decision. but for many people it's a very good one. I know that when you are ready your group can help you find a kid safe cat safe dog that could be a wonderful addition to your home. Not a replacement at all of course, but a new member of the family to love.

I adopted again soon after I lost Luna because my grief and the grief of my remaining dog Jade was so great that we needed another hound in our lives. We were both so lost, and Flirty helped us to function again. I like to think of it as honoring Luna. She inspired me to always have greyhounds in my life and I know that she would want me to give a home and my love to another grey who needs me. I call Flirty my "heart healer" dog because she really has helped us heal.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

As someone said so well earlier, eventually you'll find yourself remembering not only that your Homer died, but that he lived, and remember the happy times. In the mean time, cry when you need to. We're definitely here with you, remembering our own pain right along with you.

Your next hound? Maybe he or she will be a complete surprise. Don't worry. It will happen at the right time.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Alysmom

Homer was a red brindle, with the cutest floppy ears that flopped across his head like a bun. He rarely stood them up. He was goofy, and fun and silly and sweet; handsome and brave. All at once. I miss him to my very core..... I made it thru work, quite a few tears with my fellow dog lovers (none are hound people) but dog lovers, we all seem to get it.... I tried to tell them how special hounds are.... I guess you just gotta live it to know. I always say, half deer, half dog -- 100% perfect. God rest his soul.... I just wish I could stop crying, my eyes hurt...

Guest Alysmom

I have a photo....I've read all the helps -- it says use the upload button.....where??? I cannot find one. Please let me know and I will add a photo...thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear of Homer's leaving you. :grouphug It is a very difficult time when they leave us.

After my Sterling passed last year I waited about 6 weeks before we got Burdette. I also have Kelsey, who was missing her friend and I wanted another hound for her too.

Your heart will tell you when its time for another hound.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly