Grief - My Precious Hound Is Gone...

Guest Alysmom

I'm so sorry you had to say goodby to your precious boy. Even though it broke your heart to do so, you gave him the greatest gift.....not having to cry through the

end-stage of that horrible disease. Just remember how blessed you have been to have had him in your life and to have earned his love.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug Julie. I've been where you are many times and know the anguish and heartache you're feeling. It doesn't always feel that way, but being able to end their suffering is truly a gift of love we are able to give them. I'm sorry you're hurting so badly right now. I will hold you in my thoughts and hope you find some comfort there.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest cashie

I'm so sorry about the loss of Homer. I'm so sad for you right now, I can't even imagine how terribly you must miss him. It sounds like he had a wonderful, very loving Mommy and that he knew he was loved.

I'm so sorry you lost your heart boy, Homer. Please don't feel that you are a betrayer. You gave him the most selfless gift of all, freedom from pain and suffering. They depend on us their whole lives to do the right thing by them, you did so at the end when he needed you so very much. I know how hard it is, you are heart broken, but his health was not going to get better. You set him free. That we could do that for our two-legged loved ones.

Run free, sweet Homer.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It took a lot of love for you to make the decision that was best for your boy even though it was the worst for you. :bighug

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Julie, my heart aches for you. :grouphug Having to make that final decision is SO very hard... however, don't doubt yourself. You spared him further suffering and released him from his failed body. His spirit will remain with you, always. Watch for a sign from him... maybe in your dreams. He's only a whisper away. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

He was your friend and trusted you to do what was best for him, and you did.

Take comfort in knowing that Homer is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. We all share your sorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Alysmom

You all are amazing. Thank you so much for your encouragement and love....I cannot tell you how much it helps reading your words that I did the right thing. I told the vet he could have taken my right arm a lot easier.... I know you know what I mean.... You are helping me a lot...thank you, thank you!!

Guest Blitzkrieg

very sorry to hear :cry1

i lost my boy to cancer almost 2 years ago

it has gotten easier - but i still think of him everyday

godspeed Homer :gh_run

PS. if you dont mind - may i ask his racing name?

Edited by Blitzkrieg

I am so sorry! It does get better but I still have days where I just have to cry. I lost my precious girl in March. Yesterday taking a walk, I walked past a tatoo parlor and thought that if I were to get a tatoo, it would be of her. And, . . .I just lost it. I cried and cried. It is better because I don't feel that way every day, but I do still have them now and again.

You did do the right thing for your boy! You are in my prayers!

Guest Alysmom

His racing name was "JNB Coming Home". The rescue group called him "Homey". I renamed him Homer. He was dignified and graceful. Homer suited him the best.

Guest PiagetsMom
:grouphug to you. I had to make this decision for my sweet girl last October, and it's always one of the hardest, most painful decisions that has to be made. It changes you.....it really does. But, it's a decision that is made from love. I truly do believe that a dog's life is measured mostly by their quality of life, and that they deserve to be let go with their dignity in tact. There's a reason for the reference to leading a "dog's life", which should be happy and easy and carefree, and sometime's just because you can do more, doesn't mean that it's always the best or kindest thing to do. Thank you for giving Homer a wonderful home, and for sparing him any further pain or suffering.

Guest fluteplayer67

Prayers to you and your family for your loss!! We just adopted our first greyhound so your story brought tears to my eyes thinking of the future. Just remember what a wonderful life you gave him and you can be very proud that you were not selfish at the end, it was all about what was best for him. Also know it is normal to be sad, that is part of the healing process.

Guest Blitzkrieg

His racing name was "JNB Coming Home". The rescue group called him "Homey". I renamed him Homer. He was dignified and graceful. Homer suited him the best.

thank you for sharing that.

when you are ready - if you like i can add a nice picture of him and some text to his greyhound-data page.

I am so very sorry. Having lost two of my own hounds in the last few weeks, I feel your pain more than I can put into words. The pain will subside. The hole will always be there, but in time special memories of Homer will fill it. And yes, my head knew what my heart has been much slower to acknowledge. I wish you peace and comfort.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Alysmom

All these years of having Homer, I don't know what a Greyhound Data Page is. Is it something connected with this site? Do you have pictures by having the racing name, or do I need to provide a photo?? Most all my photos of him are not very good (I am a horrible photographer!!).... laying down or just not flattering photos. I do have one really nice 8 x 10 somewhere around here, and I have looked for it several times today and cannot find what I did with it when I remodeled the office.....Everything went into boxes and since it was so big, I think I stored it in a box. I want it really badly now... I need to do more digging....

Guest GenetJen

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sitting here bawling because I'm currently facing a similar situation. My Maya will probably need to be euthanized soon due to osteo. It's horrible. She's my first greyhound and was my first dog I had as an adult. It's painful.

All these years of having Homer, I don't know what a Greyhound Data Page is. Is it something connected with this site? Do you have pictures by having the racing name, or do I need to provide a photo?? Most all my photos of him are not very good (I am a horrible photographer!!).... laying down or just not flattering photos. I do have one really nice 8 x 10 somewhere around here, and I have looked for it several times today and cannot find what I did with it when I remodeled the office.....Everything went into boxes and since it was so big, I think I stored it in a box. I want it really badly now... I need to do more digging....

Greyhound-data is independent of this site. Your grey will be there, but you will need to provide a pic to upload. :)http://greyhound-data.com/d?d=jnb+coming+home&x=0&y=0

Hope your pain eases soon.

Guest GenetJen

thank you for sharing that.

when you are ready - if you like i can add a nice picture of him and some text to his greyhound-data page.

My Maya's sire is also Oshkosh Slammer. :)

Guest Alysmom

Thank you -- I will go and look. I found some pictures here in doing some digging.... Tomorrow I will look after work. If you don't mind, please tell me how to do it and I will. Thank you so very much!!!

Homer is half brother to my angels Honey and Nadia

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)