Parastar Reaction

Guest FlosMomma

Guest FlosMomma

My vet just suggested Parastar for flea and tick prevention but both of my Greys had a reaction to it; one more so than the other. I have only used Sentinel in the past so I wanted something more after I found a flea on Flo. I've washed the infected areas twice with their doggie shampoo, but they are still itching though not as bad. Any ideas in terms of treatment or soothing the itching? I'm getting major stink eye from Flo and Chloe! Thanks, GT friends.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Individual dogs can get local reactions to any of the topical spot-on products. Sometimes it may be the active ingredient, but it may also be a reaction to the inactive ingredients in the formula. Parastar is very new to the market, and I don't have any personal experience with it. Did you use Parastar or Parastar Plus?

The most important part of treating a reaction to remove the product. Most of these products dissolve into the skin oils, which is what makes them waterproof. So non-detergent pet shampoos (such as oatmeal based ones) will not wash it off. I usually recommend bathing the dog with a dish detergent like Dawn. If the reaction doesn't improve within a couple days, you might need to see your vet about treating it with topical or systemic steroids +/- antibiotics if it's gotten infected.

Regarding the linked article above, before everyone gets all worked up about this "relatively new broad spectrum insecticide" that is a "possible carcinogen" keep in mind that fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline, which has been around for almost 20 years. Because the patent on fipronil expired last year, a number of other companies have come out with their own versions of flea/tick products that contain fipronil - ie. all the "generic Frontline" available now.

All of the active ingredients in the commonly used products that cover ticks (fipronil, amitraz, permethrin) are in the same EPA category of Class 3 - possible human carcinogen. Unfortunately, if you want effective tick protection, it's a risk that you may have to take. I don't dispute that these chemicals might be carcinogens, as are so many of the other chemicals we're exposed to on a daily basis in our current society, and we just have to weigh the benefits with the risks and decide based on what we're personally comfortable with.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest FlosMomma

Thanks! They are much better but are still a little itchy and sensitive to the touch in that area. I'm thinking about bathing them once more.