Losing A Patch Of Fur

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Guest MorganKonaAlex

This is the 3rd time Cobb has had a patch of fur come off. The first time was last summer. The Vet thought it was some kind of skin infection and put him on anti-biotics. Cobb was spending a lot of time in his kiddie pool so I washed the pool out with bleach.

The 2nd time was 2 months ago. The location was close to where I had applied frontline ~10 days earlier. The Vet thought it was an allergic reaction to either the frontline or a bug bite. We got a topical steroid because I didn't want him on prednisone.

Last night, a patch came off again. It's about 2.5" across. It's not the location of frontline and he hasn't been in his pool. He hasn't been spending a lot of time laying in the yard either. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Cobb_missing_fur.JPG

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

Looks like a hotspot. A lot of times they pop up in the summertime on dogs on high protein diets. How much protein is he getting?

You can put hydrogen peroxide and/or neosporine on it. Nothing fancy is required to treat it.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Looks like a hotspot. A lot of times they pop up in the summertime on dogs on high protein diets. How much protein is he getting?

You can put hydrogen peroxide and/or neosporine on it. Nothing fancy is required to treat it.

High protein diet??? Hotspots are bacterial in nature and will respond to antibacterial washes like nolvasan and a topic triple antibotic/steroid ointment like animax. In some cases an injection of a corticosteroid is neccesary to obtain immediate relieve.

Where is this lesion? Itchy???

Edited by tbhounds

There are many causes for hot spots.

• Fleas.
  • Too much protein in the dog´s diet.
  • Not keeping your pet´s coat clean
  • A specific food allergy; i.e. corn or wheat or meat or some other food product.

http://dpca.org/BreedEd/index.php/component/content/article/284-hot-spots

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

ignore, error in posting

Edited by macoduck

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest MorganKonaAlex

All 3 spots have been on his back. He has allergies and is on 75mg of benedryl 2x a day year round. He eats Costco's Natures Domain which I believe is a knock off of Taste of the Wild. It's fish and sweet potato based and has 24% protein. I like to keep him on a grain free diet because of his allergies. I do think it's itchy since the skin quivers when I put the ointment on.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I just read the hotspot link. The break out is not caused by his scratching. He can't reach it and isn't trying to scratch it. While the skin reacts when I mess with it, he's not trying to scratch it otherwise.

There are many causes for hot spots.

• Fleas.
  • Too much protein in the dog´s diet.
  • Not keeping your pet´s coat clean
  • A specific food allergy; i.e. corn or wheat or meat or some other food product.

http://dpca.org/BreedEd/index.php/component/content/article/284-hot-spots

Brindles, I do not recall hearing anything about too much protein causing hot spots. The reference you list cites no scientific data nor does it even give an explanation for why this might be. The wrong type of protein, meaning one the dog has a sensitivity towards, might cause a reaction. However, that's a good deal different than saying too much protein in general would cause the problem. Do you have any other references to help us understand why one might believe an excess of protein could cause a hot spot, besides the allergy possibility? Not saying you are wrong, just can't find anything to back this up. It's a foreign concept to me.

Edited by kudzu

You need to clean the area thoughly with an antibacterial wash --diluted nolvasan (chlorhexadine) -stay away from peroxide. While peroxide kills germs it also kills healthy cells. Try to find a topical antibotic/steroid cream like animax-apply daily.

Also, I don't find Benadryl (of course my opinion) to be helpful with allergies--it's great for bee stings and other allergic reactions but, not so much for environmental or food allergies. Have you tried other antihistamines like claritin, zyrtec, allegra?

Finally, if you don't see immediate resolution you should visit your vet. Dermal lesions could be caused from so many things and a veterinary clinician should be the one to determine the course of action.

I'm using mometamax on it. It's what the vet prescribed for it last time.

Mometamax is very similar to animax. I would still clean the area with dilute chlorhexadine once a day before applying the ointment.

Edited by tbhounds

i use hydrocotizone w/ aloe on hot spots. is he going crazy chewing it??? if so, then i agree w/ hot spots.

if not, this might be of interest:

felix had a wierd looking scrape on the middle of his loin. we couldn't figure out what it was, if emily got him running or what he ran into- too wierd a spot. it grew... my vet scraped it- no mites what so ever. he said, it will grow back in 6-8 weeks and we treated it w/ goodwinol oinment. he had another spot/scrape pop up, scraped it- no mites. more goodwinol- both eventually went away.

did felix have fleas?- no

mange- no

bit by another dog or a spastic scrape?-no

did it itch?- no

did it heal- yes w/o a scar

the only thing that was constant w/ both spots was felix was taking flagyl at the time they showed up.

and they were good 3"x 2" holes. go know, these greyhounds can drive you crazy.

Since this is a recurrent problem, has your vet done or recommended any additional testing, such as skin scrape, cytology, or even bloodwork? Did the previous spots clear up pretty quickly with treatment?

Brindles, I do not recall hearing anything about too much protein causing hot spots. The reference you list cites no scientific data nor does it even give an explanation for why this might be. The wrong type of protein, meaning one the dog has a sensitivity towards, might cause a reaction.

The concept of too much protein causing hotspots is a new one to me too. The author of the article on the Doberman Club site is not a vet and, as kudzu mentioned, there are no references listed, so I'm wondering about the source of that info. The article does give this explanation of how excess protein is supposed to cause hotspots, but it doesn't make sense to me and isn't backed by any evidence: "A dog that is getting more protein than he can burn up ends up with excessive protein in his system. This means that this left over protein burns up in the dog´s system causing the dog to itch. The more he scratches, the more likely he will develop a hot spot." This is actually listed as a separate cause from allergy to a specific protein.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

...The article does give this explanation of how excess protein is supposed to cause hotspots, but it doesn't make sense to me and isn't backed by any evidence: "A dog that is getting more protein than he can burn up ends up with excessive protein in his system. This means that this left over protein burns up in the dog´s system causing the dog to itch. The more he scratches, the more likely he will develop a hot spot." This is actually listed as a separate cause from allergy to a specific protein.

Oh yeah, I read that part but didn't consider it an explanation. :lol

PS To OP, I should have added that the dog with Cushing's who had stuff like this really was getting skin infections. Her's did not appear itchy & were not cause by scratching. The Cushing's was the root cause, contributing to poor skin which allowed the bacteria access & lowering her body's ability to heal.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Thanks for the suggestions. The first time it happened, the Vet took a scraping and looked at it under the microscope. I assume that was to rule out mites (mange). By the 2nd visit, she thought it was allergy related and we didn't do any further testing and we started the ointment. So far, the spots have cleared on their own. I haven't taken him in for the 3rd episode.