Am looking for treat suggestions for my raw fed dogs. We have one company we order freeze dried lung and heart from, but I feel like I've been blowing through them lately and they're fairly pricey. Looking for other options - would prefer they be very limited in ingredients outside of meat (meat only would be best), especially grains, made in the USA or manufactured by a reputable company with good quality control, and if they're bite size or easily broken into tiny pieces, even better.

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We buy bison heart, lamb lung, trachea and sometimes liver from bestbullysticks.com. The lamb lung is an especially HUGE hit, and it's easy to break into small pieces. Their prices seem pretty reasonable, plus they have regular sales. They also give an 8% discount if you set up a monthly delivery.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Mine love the Merrick Texas Hold'ems. I think they are dried lamb lungs, made in the US and can be easily broken into smaller pieces. It's like doggy crack around here. If you have Amazon Prime, buying them on Amazon can really save you some $. I buy the 1lb bag as it goes a long way, even with 2 dogs.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We buy dehydrated treats, made locally. Liver, trachea, tendons, lung and more! :chow Valerie is quite right, lung is really easy to break into little pieces. The other stuff, not so much. Liver would be my next choice for breaking and it's noticeably more work.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

VJ, are the lamb lungs by the bullystick people made in the USA? I hope so as the price is amazing for a 1 lb bag. From their website: Made form (sic) US lambs processed in a USDA approved, human grade facility.

Does that mean they are made here, or are shipped overseas for production? Does it say on the bag where they are made?

ETA: I emailed them to ask them where they are produced.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest kirstenbergren

I always buy grain free treats, I'll have to look at the other ingredients. I'll let you know if I find anything like you are looking for.

VJ, are the lamb lungs by the bullystick people made in the USA? I hope so as the price is amazing for a 1 lb bag. From their website: Made form (sic) US lambs processed in a USDA approved, human grade facility.

Does that mean they are made here, or are shipped overseas for production? Does it say on the bag where they are made?

Let me know what you find out. I don't have the bag, since we immediately empty them into our storage containers.

I do know they aren't produced in China, since China is only USDA approved for poultry.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Let me know what you find out. I don't have the bag, since we immediately empty them into our storage containers.

I do know they aren't produced in China, since China is only USDA approved for poultry.

Please let me know as well. They are half the price of the lamb lung treats I am currently purchasing so I would love to try these instead.

Valerie, there are no other ingredients right? They're just pure lamb lung?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I heard back from the bullystick people already, it's good news, "Our Puffed Lamb Lung Dog Treats are made in US human grade facilities. All of our products that are made from US animals are processed and manufactured in the USA in American human grade facilities. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns."

I'm going to give them a try, they are much cheaper than Merrick. Thanks for the post, Neylasmom, and the tip Vjgrey!

I just looked at shipping...I may just stick with Merrick as with shipping they cost about as much. : -(

Edited by seeh2o

Please let me know as well. They are half the price of the lamb lung treats I am currently purchasing so I would love to try these instead.

Valerie, there are no other ingredients right? They're just pure lamb lung?

Right - they're just dehydrated lung.

They're also based here in Virginia, so the cheap shipping option usually gets them to me in about two days.

Edited by vjgrey

Yay on both counts. Going to try them instead as well. Here's the place I order from: A Place for Paws. I really like their products, but at $6 for a 4 oz bag it's significantly more expensive and they rarely offer discounts. Considering the amount of money I spend on their treats, I think a coupon now and then would be nice.

Edited by NeylasMom

How about dehydrating your own meats? Since you feed raw you could just slice up any of the meat you have on hand and dehydrate it. You’ll know exactly what’s in there and where it came from and you could make the pieces whatever size you want.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

IF YOUR USING YOUR TREATS FOR TRAINING I FOUND SLIVERS OF RAW MEAT IN MY TREAT BAG HAD EVEN THE MOST FICKLE DOG IN CLASS ENVIRGORATED AND READY TO WORK. JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE THEM OUT OF THE TREAT BAG WHEN YOU GO HOME . I PUT MY BAG IN THE CLOSET AND FORGOT...WHAT A STINKY SITUATION, IT TOOK ME DAYS TO FIGURE IT OUT.

THE DEHYDRATED ORGAN MEAT IS PRETTY RICH, WATCH OUT, BUT BOY DO THEY LOVE IT! YUP, IT'S DOGGIE CRACK!

Guest snakes

It is really easy to dehydrate chicken yourself if you're up for it. I have a cheap dehydrator i got at walmart, i just buy chicken breasts, slice each up lengthwise into thin strips, and spread them out on the trays. 24-36hours alter i have chicken jerky! It doesn't even smell up the hosue that much and every dog I have given them to have LOVED them.

Maybe i should start a store....:)

How about dehydrating your own meats? Since you feed raw you could just slice up any of the meat you have on hand and dehydrate it. You’ll know exactly what’s in there and where it came from and you could make the pieces whatever size you want.

I have actually been thinking about that for some time, I'd actually like a dehydrator to make my own meat jerky, but I was concerned about the smell dehydrating organ meats or even something like beef heart. :unsure I have a small condo so it's not like I can put the dehydrator somewhere where we dont' have to smell it either. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have actually been thinking about that for some time, I'd actually like a dehydrator to make my own meat jerky, but I was concerned about the smell dehydrating organ meats or even something like beef heart. :unsure I have a small condo so it's not like I can put the dehydrator somewhere where we dont' have to smell it either. Anyone have any experience with this?

I was just talking to a friend about this and she said that dehydrating meat does stink up the house. Do you have a garage or a friend with a garage that you could bribe with jerky?

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I have picky pups plus the "real" meat treats are so expensive. Since I have just taken up more clicker training, I have resorted to just boiling up chicken thighs, shredding them, and freezing if needed. The dogs seem to like that the best plus I know exactly what is in them, and they are cheap! Not so practical for training, but if you bake them for a long time they kind of dry out (like when you overcook chicken :) ). I used to use a liver treat recipe that every dog went NUTS for, but it does contain cornmeal and a bit of flour so probably not what you are looking for.

What about making some sweet potato chips for treats. Just slice up the sweet potato, throw in the oven at about 300 or so (been awhile since I made them) and cook until they are ever so slightly browning on the edges (maybe about 30 minutes). My dog loved them (so did I).

I buy little milk bones :D

Alton Brown makes jerky with clean a/c filters and a box fan. You could do that on your deck

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I buy little milk bones :D

Alton Brown makes jerky with clean a/c filters and a box fan. You could do that on your deck

I came here just to see your response!!

You know Jen's dogs can lose their minds if they eat things other than raw meat!! :eek:rotfl

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest MnMDogs

We've made jerky like that! It's surprisingly easy.

Oh please, my dogs get plenty of stuff that isn't raw. They're currently eating bil-jac treats. But the dehydrated treats seem to really make them happy and don't give them poo issues like grainy treats may, so I'd like to find more stuff like that that doesn't break the bank.

And they certainly got their share of the milk bones when Bootsy was here Christie, just as he got his share of their treats. :kiss2