What Is More Important - Rating Of Kibble - Or How Your Dogs Do On It?

Guest BrianRke

I would take both things into consideration, the rating and ingredients, and how the dog does on the food. Having personally been inside a Purina processing facility, I would NEVER feed my dogs anything made by them, even if they do have "nice poops".

I would take both things into consideration, the rating and ingredients, and how the dog does on the food. Having personally been inside a Purina processing facility, I would NEVER feed my dogs anything made by them, even if they do have "nice poops".

So would you like to tell us what you saw that gave you this opinion? Have you been in other processing facilities so you could compare them? An inside view like you have had could be very helpful for a lot of us. Thanks.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Celestrina

Most important is how your dogs are doing on it. Angie is on a more expensive food, but out of necessity. She is sensitive to chicken and trying to find a food without chicken or eggs is very difficult. For example, Iams has a formula that is listed as not having chicken but does have dried egg product. Since eggs come from chickens (or is it the other way around?) they will have the same protein.

I actually don't put any truck with "ratings" websites.

I DO however, read labels. I don't feed my dogs "junk" that is 90% corn. I look for meat, no grain. And - a food my dog does WELL on in those criteria. I don't feed the most expensive food, because I've found decent, meat-based, non-or low-grain foods, that my dogs do VERY well on. I tried the BEST (read most expensive, meat-based, etc) food I could find once - and I had a dog that was starving and peeing out his poop. Didn't work. I edged DOWN the scale to "moderate" food and that's worked well for everybody.

I had one foster - that was a bounce - that I left on a "low grade" kibble, becuase his 3 year owner told me she'd tried every better food on the market and he was a mess. And - he was the picture of health, so I left him on that kibble, and he was perfect. When he got adopted, I suggested they keep him on it - and transition with caution if they wanted to "food up".

I do believe in supplementing any kibble diet with the occasional raw bones, and a raw chicken leg or whatnot once a week- whatever's on sale. It's good for their diet, their teeth, and they LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Since eggs come from chickens (or is it the other way around?) they will have the same protein.

The proteins in chicken and eggs are actually not the same. Some individuals (humans and dogs) are allergic to both chicken and eggs, but most are only allergic to one or the other.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Carol Ann, I think you already know how I feel. If your dog does well on it, who cares what the ratings are? Who cares what other people think of your selection? Millions of dogs in this country have thrived on foods we would consider "garbage," including our very beautiful bunch of English Setters, one of which was a successful show dog. They all ate Puppy Chow and then Dog Chow, and we never lost a dog to premature illness, they all had great coats, great teeth, etc.

Call them "fur babies" all you like folks, but they're actually dogs. They don't care about ratings. They care about feeling good and if Purina One makes your dogs feel good, have at it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

I'd go with how well a dog does on it...dogs have been living off human "garbage" for thousands of years. Their ability to live and thrive on what we don't want/cast off is one reason they're so darn successful as a species.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest WhiteWave

I don't always agree with ratings b/c I don't think corn is bad when being used as a carb source instead of a protein source. I actually think many working dogs do better on corn than rice.

But even the best food on paper I'm not feeding it if the dogs don't do well on it. But I'm not feeding garbage food just b/c my dogs appear to do well on it either. IMO, you have to find a medium ground- a food with decent ingredients and quality and your dogs do well on it. Than are more than enough foods available to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fluteplayer67

It sounds like it just depends in the dog and what works well for one might not with another. We didn't keep Jet on the same food his foster family did because they said he didn't like it and he was/is underweight. I chose Purina One lamb & rice and he absolutely loves it. His poops are pretty soft though but I hate to switch it when he likes it so well. We are considering Costco but just don't know and have been reading some about it here. I would say if what you are doing is working, stick with it!

Guest Janiebugsmom

I have tried many dogs foods over the years. I stumbled on Nature' Domain ( a grain free food) that Costco sells. I get the Salmon, and they love it and do wellon it and not to spendy either. I have tried a grain free Salmon before ( a very spendy brand) and although they liked it we had some upset tummy's. I have had none with this. All dogs are differant and react to foods differantly. Best advice is on here, do what is best for your dog(what they like, do best on).

I adopted Doc some six-and-a-half years ago now. At that point we had to try a few different dry foods, to find one that he liked and that suited his digestion. We've stuck with it ever since. It's one made in the UK for working dogs, and is certainly not high-end. Those dog food analysis websites would mark it down for too much corn and beet pulp, but that doesn't trouble me, as clearly it doesn't trouble him - for a dog of nearly eleven he is still in very good condition. He gets quite a variety of add-ins with it, to keep life interesting and because I think that's good for his health and digestion.

It's all about knowing what suits your dog. If I did need to change his food for whatever reason, an important criterion for me would be that the new one didn't contain rice. Although this seems to feature in quite a few high-end foods, I know jolly well it gives him the squits...

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest sirsmom

most common foods(Purina, Iams etc) in grocery stores etc are just fine for dogs and they thrive on them. I would worry about the off label foods that are generic. Dogs can handle different ingredients but I make sure that there are no dyes or questionable preservatives. (I'm not sure why my reply is being underlined . Sorry for seeming too emphatic)