Adequan Injection: Problem

This morning I gave Missy her second adequan injection (first at home.vet did first one in office). she is not the easiest dog...and moved away while the needle was in..yipped a bit. She did not get all of the injection.

I am afraid to finish it for a few reasons:

will needle be dull and possibly hurt more?

I don't think it is sanitary to put it back in the bottle and use a new syringe?

I am worried about hitting the sciatic nerve. I am afraid when she moved..Last week she limped real bad after the shot and improved as the week went on (also increased gabapentin). I did ice her leg with an ice cube

the needle is one inch long..i read that 3/4 inch is the size to use...

She just started perking up...and now i am afraid I set her back

She seems fine at the moment though

It sounds like you should go back to the vet office and have them supervised you doing it until you're more comfortable. Nothing wrong with that! Needles can be scary and the calmer you are the calmer your pup will be.

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Don't reuse the needle and don't inject the unsued stuff back into the bottle. It will contaminate it.

Just get a new needle and put in onto the same syringe.

1" is too long.... I use a 1" on my horse!!!

Make sure the gage is not too big.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Don't reuse the needle and don't inject the unsued stuff back into the bottle. It will contaminate it.

Just get a new needle and put in onto the same syringe.

1" is too long.... I use a 1" on my horse!!!

Make sure the gage is not too big.

Yes, just get a new needle on your syringe. Draw back what's in the syringe first and take off the old needle and replace with a new one. Personally, I feel a one inch needle is fine--it's not the length but, the gauge that makes a diiference. Hounds have plenty of muscle to inject to. What gauge are you using?? What I would do is draw up the medication with a 22g needle and then replace

it with a 25g to inject. If its too thick to use a 25g stick with the 22g.

Also, when in doubt return to your vet for another lesson :-)

I give Adequan injections to my horse. For her, I use a 1.5" 20g needle. What size did your vet say to use for a greyhound?

I'd just put a new needle on your syringe. I would not try sticking again with the same needle or trying to put the Adequan back in the bottle.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Our vet has us use a 25g needle on our greys, which is smaller than we used to use on our cats! Surprisingly, they said the network of nerves is more extensive in the hounds, requiring the smaller gauge.

ETA: We've used bigger needles to give sub-q fluids, or else we'd never have gotten finished!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Are you giving it IM (in the muscle) or SQ (under the skin)? Many, if not most, vets have switched to giving Adequan SQ, and it is absorbed and works just as well. I find that most dogs tolerate SQ injections better than IM, and you don't have to worry about hitting the sciatic nerve.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

vet told me to do it IM, but I will speak with her about the subQ method. I have been reading on that way...it seems as long as the adaquan gets into the body..the method doesn't matter. She did fine after this injection...no limping at all. In fact her right side limp was gone the by Wednesday. She had shot the prior thursday. I think the increase in Gabapentin helped her. At this moment she is doing great! no limping, barely stumbling, a bit wobbly occasionally , but way less than she was. She is a happy almost 13 year old! and that makes us happy. take it while you can..

Thanks for the all the advice.

donna

I should have clarified...we give the Adequan SQ, and we give it over the shoulder. In *that* location, across the back and shoulders, the network of nerves on dogs is finer than it is on cats, thus making the smaller-gauge needle preferable. (I don't know how it compares in any other location.) And the SQ method is leading to good results for us.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).