Another Newbie To The Grey Scene...(Update Pg 2)

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

Hello everyone! My name is Debbie and I live in Southern California. My husband and I have been very interested in adopting a greyhound, but always had a landlord who didn't allow pets. Well, our building now has a new owner now and they are pet-friendly! We are spending some time first to learn as much as we can. This forum has been wonderful so far - I've been reading so many great posts and learning a lot.
We do have a cat already (we snuck her in during the no-pets-allowed- days) so this is the only thing that makes me nervous. Oh, wait, separation anxiety makes me nervous too... but these are for another post in the behavior forum I'm sure.

Thank you to everyone for all of the wonderful information I am finding here. Just ordered Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies as well as Cynthia Branigan's Adopting the Racing Greyhound to get us educated. I am a teacher with summers off, but I feel that this summer is too soon - we want to be fully educated first. Perhaps by winter when I get 3 weeks off for Christmas. We shall see!

Thanks again!
Debbie

Edited by DMBFiredancer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to GT Debbie! This is a great place to be to learn about Greys. As for your cat, there are a lot of Greys who get along fine with cats so when you are ready to adopt, that is one of the criteria you let the adoption agency know. They will find you a great pup without worry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest reneern120

hello debbie. both books are excellent. make sure you get the kennel 411 about your grey. most adoption workers know which doga are social shy and like/don't like cats ect!! Welcome to the world of greys!!

Welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome from Mass! The books you mentioned are good and will give you some great information about greyhounds and their ... "quirks".

You might also want to see if there is a walking group in the area that you could join occasionally and get some close time with greyhounds and their owners.

Guest HoundWorks

Welcome to GT! You will learn so much through the books you picked up as well as the forum. It's been a great help for me!

Guest DMBFiredancer

Welcome to he greyhound world, and love your name. Another DMB diehard here ;)

Nice! I didn't think anyone would get it! most people ask me, "Are you a firedancer?" LOL

Welcome! That's great your are researching before you adopt. You might even look into fostering first. I hate to say " try before you buy", but we started fostering greyhounds first after learning their story and knew we eventually wanted to adopt one of our own. We wanted to help all of them, but we wanted to find the one grey that would mesh well with our other dogs and cats we already had. Luckily it didn't take us long before GiGi came into our lives :) we are still fostering too and it is such a good feeling when you find the right home for them!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Hi Debbie!

About cat worries, your group should be able to make sure your hound prospects are cat-safe. Next question is if your cat is dog-safe! ;) We have one that takes pot-shots at the dogs every chance he gets. :rolleyes: The other has hidden out in the bedroom for weeks or months after each dog addition. Hopefully, your cat will fall somewhere in between. ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest widowcali

Welcome.

And if you get your baby early enough, he/she will be all settled in just in time for the Solvang Greyhound Gathering. Lots of fun, lots of dogs, lots of wine, lots of chocolate. They have it every February.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Welcome.

And if you get your baby early enough, he/she will be all settled in just in time for the Solvang Greyhound Gathering. Lots of fun, lots of dogs, lots of wine, lots of chocolate. They have it every February.

This sounds very cool! I haven't been up to Solvang in awhile! Are there lots of dog friendly wineries there?

Guest widowcali

Welcome.

This sounds very cool! I haven't been up to Solvang in awhile! Are there lots of dog friendly wineries there?

There are a few. Most of the wine tasting places in town let us bring our dogs in. This last time, there was a get acquianted wine tasting at a tasting room in town and the dogs were welcome. And there was a fundraising wine tasting at one of the local wineries that let the dogs in. The ones that are greyhound friendly will have signs in their windows. Most of the shops, actually, let us bring our dogs in and the restaurants with patios would let us have our dogs on the patios and would constantly be bringing the dogs water and biskies. The whole town, actually, loves us. I've heard several times from the hotel staff's and the shopkeepers that they look forward to the gathering every year. Apparently greyhound parents are polite, spend money, and pick up after their dogs, lol.

• 1 month later...
Guest newgreymama

Debbie, are you by any chance a Knitter too? Who frequents the Mal Swap page? I think I recognize your screen name. :) (I am Watercolorponies over there. I don't post there often, but just idid the summer camp swap) Best of luck finding your Grey! We have started the process as well !

hey, debbie! i just saw your thread; it's nice to see you're here. hope to see you again at a retirement day soon.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DMBFiredancer

Debbie, are you by any chance a Knitter too? Who frequents the Mal Swap page? I think I recognize your screen name. :) (I am Watercolorponies over there. I don't post there often, but just idid the summer camp swap) Best of luck finding your Grey! We have started the process as well !

Nope. Must be another Dave Matthews Band fan! :)

• 4 months later...
Guest DMBFiredancer

Update - we had quite a setback in November when that landlord gave us 60 days notice because they wanted to renovate the apartment and charge $1200 MORE/ month! So we are currently in a townhouse that does not allow pets, still anxiously awaiting our turn to finally adopt!

The good news is.......we just were accepted on an offer for our OWN HOME and hopefully if all goes well with escrow, appraisals and all that craziness, we should be able to adopt SOON!!!!!!!! I was telling someone today - I don't now what I am more excited for - buying our first home or adopting a grey.

Oh wait! I do know! ADOPTING A GREY!!!!!!!

Please send us good vibes!

I'm a teacher so I plan on waiting until June if this all works out....give our cat a few months to settle in new place...and for us to get a bit more back into savings for all the spoiling we will be doing on our new guy!

:) debbie

Sending good vibes your way! June will be here before you know it! :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations on the new home and on your decision to adopt!

I just wanted to share that when I adopted my first greyhound, I already had two kitties (sisters :) ). I adopted a little girl who had tested "kitty friendly." She was young (about 25 months old by the time I brought her home) and very playful. She did not want to EAT my kitties, but wanted them to play with her, so I was a little concerned that she might accidentally hurt them by pouncing at them or something. We never had any issues though, but we did start with a crate just to be on the safe side. She quickly learned to respect the kitties and I've gone on to adopt four more greyhounds who all have lived in harmony with my kitties. In fact, this is my Rosie kitty, kneading Fritz's head the other night :lol

B9B81301-CF58-4FF1-8AF0-272743C34331-242

So, kitties and greys can live harmoniously. It does require some careful vigilance at first until all of the waters are tested, so as long as you're careful with introductions, and with interactions for a while at first, you'll be fine. :) Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about it, or when you get closer to adopting. I've been doing this for over a decade now, and there are TONS of people here who have been at it even longer than I have. You'll find lots of good information :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--