Rimadyl Vs Norvox

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

Has anyone had their hound react differently to Norvox than they did to Rimadyl?

Vinnie did so well on the Rimadyl. We switched him over the weekend to Norvox and he had diarrhea yesterday (even on the carpet which I know made him upset) and I had to take him out at 2am this morning.

Don't have any personal experience with the generic Rimadyl options, but generally speaking, yes, dogs (and people) can react differently to a generic vs. the brand name drug. They can also react differently to generics made by different companies. The reason is that even though the active ingredient is the same, the rest of the make-up of the pill can be different, which may affect absorption of the active ingredient, as well as reactions to the inactive ingredients.

That said, it's also possible that Vinnie's diarrhea may be unrelated to the medication change...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Don't have any personal experience with the generic Rimadyl options, but generally speaking, yes, dogs (and people) can react differently to a generic vs. the brand name drug. They can also react differently to generics made by different companies. The reason is that even though the active ingredient is the same, the rest of the make-up of the pill can be different, which may affect absorption of the active ingredient, as well as reactions to the inactive ingredients.

That said, it's also possible that Vinnie's diarrhea may be unrelated to the medication change...

THANK YOU for posting this. More people need to be made aware of it. Even from a purely chemical viewpoint (I am a chemist) they cna be very different. Wish more folks realized it.

Guest bernadette

Absolutely makes sense, I've never had an issue with a generic myself so I really hadn't considered that possibility.

We took him off of the Novox and I gave him some white rice last night boiled in water and chicken broth. No diarrhea since yesterday morning.

I was happy to find Novox as its half the cost of the Rimadyl. I'd love to hear any other options (other generics, other places aside from vet/Costco where I could buy Rimadyl for a little less).

I seldom use NSAIDs anymore having found a natural alternative - without side effects. Yucca.

Of course, given daily joint supplements are also helpful for arthritic situations.

There are unsolicited reviews on Greyhound Gang.

Inflammation is the root of many evils. Reducing inflammation helps the body heal. When steroids or NSAIDs (rimadyl, deramaxx) are recommended, this might be an alternative which works without side effects. It also reduces pain as well as aspirin without the gastric side effects.

Yucca cleanses organs, promoting blood flow and tissue repair. It can also reduce the 'itch' of allergies. Yucca contains steroidal saponins - nature's most powerful anti-inflammatory agents.

Happy to answer any questions.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest bernadette

I will look into Yucca, thank you. His xrays are clear of arthritis- at this point, I wish that was what we were dealing with. :(

Thank you so much for the info.

Just an fyi - you don't want to wait for arthritis to show on Xrays. It only does when things are bad.

Giving joint supplements earlier than later can prevent many issues which will bring you to the vet, and cause pain to your dog. They replenish synovial fluids and can repair cartilage. I've certainly seen them help in many situations. Just make sure they are high quality, given daily at 1500 mgs a day per supplement. (Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vitamin C)

The supplements aren't expensive (i.e. 60-day/2 month supply of Glucosamine HCL is $14.95/$13.50 in a refill bag), and they do help.

Unsolicited reviews here.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest bernadette

Thanks for the FYI- joint supplements and anything preventative/before its too late makes sense, just not where our head has been with what has been going on. =)

Tummy is better and I need to find where we can buy Rimadyl at a reasonable price.