Safe Mulch

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

I have never had to put down mulch in the fenced yard where the dogs play. But now I would like to use some in a flower bed and now concerned about safety. I looked at some mulch at Lowes and thought it felt very sharp and am worried about the dogs getting it in their paws?I also saw some fancy mulch shaped into rounds but worried that one of my dogs might decide to chew on it. So, any tips? I have Lowes and Home Depot in my area. Thanks brit

None of mine have ever eaten mulch or gotten injured from walking on it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Any mulch that says "Playground Mulch" on the bag is usually ground very fine and has less sharp / splintered material in it. It also won't last quite as long and will need to be topped off occasionally. I have some shredded cypress mulch in one part of our turnout area to keep the mud down, and have had no problems with it getting into paws. Usually once you water down the mulch, and the rain hits it a few times, it is pretty well compacted, no matter which type it is.

There is usually a display with samples of each mulch somewhere in the store. You may have to ask where it is. That will let you feel he coarseness of it before you decide on one.

No cocoa mulch as it is poisonous to dogs.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest cendrine

Avoid dyed mulch as it may contain pressure treated wood (treated with arsenic and copper compounds). Pressure treated wood is now banned in our area but I don't know about regs in your area. Natural colour wood seems the safest option, I think.

If you can manage it, avoid the big box stores for mulch. The cheapest mulch you can get from a landscape supply house is going to be much higher quality (and more finely shredded) than the best stuff at Lowes or Home Depot, plus they'll deliver it.

~Amanda

I've never had issues with mulch and dogs. Previous dogs, previous house and previous mulch was uncolored cedar mulch, bought by the yard from a landscape & garden center. This mulch was NOT in flower beds, rather I had 21 yards of it covering the back of the yard and had some bulbs and trees growing out of it. I also had it in other areas, in actual flower beds. None of the dogs ever had a problem. When we moved to this house, the property is smaller so now only the actual flower beds are mulched. Some have pine bark nuggets (as I was looking for long life) and others have colored rubber mulch (15 year life, no significant color change). I'm switching everything to rubber mulch because it's comfortable on HUMAN feet and I'm always outside barefoot. None of my dogs, including Summer, have ever been allowed into actual flower beds and none have ever bothered the mulch, either, or shown any desire to do so. And yes, I've also had cocoa mulch years and years ago and no dog was interested -- however, I would NOT use it again. Partly because I wouldn't run the risk and partly because the color changes and it molds and turns into ugly patties if you don't keep fluffing it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

we used to buy mulch from our arborist, double ground local trees. no problems w/ splinters but i will say more dirt debris than the salt straw that i'm currently using. we were putting down 20 cubic yards of mulch 2xs a year...way too much work and $$$. 8 bales of straw and our yard is bone dry, less dirt to vacumme/sweep up and 1/5th the price! i will say the dirt under all of this stuff looks fantastic after 2 years of mulch. it did break down pretty quickly.