It looks like the new antibiotic for the UTI is working. No more blood in her urine and she's acting a lot better. I have taken her off the Tramadol because she's not in any pain any more. The urine culture should be back tomorrow and we'll see if this is the right antibiotic to take care of this UTI for good.

As far as her nose goes, she went 5 days without any bleeding after starting the prednisone but early this morning had a few drops of blood again only from the left nostril. Today is the day we start tapering her off the prednisone too. After doing a ton of research on nasal cancer Mike and I just can't see spending a ton of money on an MRI or CT Scan when the prognosis is so bad. She has been x-rayed and scoped and nothing was found and that's about as far as we will go with this. She will be 14 in a few months and the thought of putting a dog her age through radiation is just too painful to think about given the chances of her surviving this type of cancer for any good length of time are slim. We would rather take that money and spoil the tar out of her for whatever time she has left. Right now she has no outward signs of a tumor. Her eyes track well and there is no deformity in her face and no signs of anything growing behind the pallet of her mouth so we will be taking her in to see the vet once a month to be checked out carefully for any changes. Until then we will just continue to clean up the little spots of blood that drip from her nose a few times a day. She has only had one major bleed and that one resolved quickly. She is still eating very well, in good spirits and playing (though not as much as she used to but she's getting older).

July 20th update.

I decided to update in the first post so people wouldn't have to hunt for it. I received a call from the vet last night. The urine culture came back sensitive to the drug that the e-vet put Jilly Bean on so she will be on that for 3 more weeks to make sure the uti is totally gone. The marshmallows are still working! Jilly will eat anything you put in it so for now all in good in the medication administration department!

Unfortunately the vet was not happy to hear that Jilly Bean continues to bleed from the nose despite being on prednisone. She wants to see her at the end of next week. She said at that point we will discuss what we plan to do to keep Jilly Bean comfortable since we have decided we will not put her through surgery or radiation. We will set up a plan to manage her pain when she starts to have it. If she is in pain now she doesn't show any signs of it. She is starting to have issues with her balance and miss stepping when she walks on occasion. She was walking the other night and stepped on one foot with the other and tripped. She's misjudging the step to the back porch and starting having issues every now and again climbing the steps up to our bed. She's fallen a couple of times and we've caught her. I told the vet I don't know if it's old age or something else. She said it may be the start of something neurologically going on so she wants to check her out. She sticks pretty close to me these days, which is fine because one of the symptoms she could develop are seizures and if she's by me and I get to her before the dogs do. She will have to be in her crate when I go anywhere from now on for the same reason and I don't think she's going to like that but it's for her own safety.

For now I've covered our bed with a sheet that I can throw in the wash every day instead of changing the entire bed every day from the blood spots that occur at night. Jilly is still happy. She played with Kevin on the bed with the ball last night and then enjoyed chewing on it for an hour or so. She's loving her treats and eating well. She still has her sense of smell as far as I can tell so she's pretty happy at this point.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, it is great to hear she is feeling better! When they get older, I think the most important thing is keeping them comfortable and happy. Sounds like the Bean is in that place :beatheart

edited to add, of course you would fix anything fixable :)

Edited by Remolacha

Thanks for the update, I'm glad the antibiotic worked. The way you are handling the situation with her nose makes sense. Ed's 14 year old Boston Terrier, Captain, was having symptoms which may indicate cancer, he chose the same path as you for the same reasons. He's doing very well, too!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Gee. I didn't know anything about this. We wish little Jilly Bean all the best. May she continue to show signs of faring well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Glad to hear of the improvements...hope the Bean continues to do well. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Glad to hear JB is doing okay. May she continue to for many years to come!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending good thoughts to everyone's favorite "Bean". Glad to hear she is feeling better.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Sending good thoughts to Jilly Beanie Baby! Hope she continues to feel better. :kiss2 for her.

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

sending more prayers for your sweet little girl! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:)

Good plan.

Our GSD, BillieJean ...yes ...the 'opposite name' of your sweet JillyBean .... lived a wonderful 14 ++ years being 'managed' carefully.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hope she continues to improve! Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Glad to hear the Bean is doing better. Trust she'll continue to supervise for a long time to come. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

How wonderful that Jilly Bean is feeling better. I agree with your decision. Spoil her rotten.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

If the pred helps with symptoms, is there a reason why you are stopping it? My 15.5 year old whippet is on long term low-dose pred (7.5 mg twice a day and he weighs 28 punds) for his issues and he is doing well and feeling pretty good. Just curious - not being critical at all. I agree with keep 'em comfy! Scritches to your little girlie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well it was working until yesterday. She started yesterday morning with a few drips. I woke up this morning to bigger spots all over my bed where her nose had dripped while she was sleeping. Yesterday was her first day on the lower dose and she was bleeding before her body had time to adjust to it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee