Tramadol

I'm sorry but I have forgotten. Do you have more than one grey? If yes, is it possible that if you can get the other one to go up the ramp, that Da Vid will follow, especially with a special treat (which I know you've been trying).

The other thing is, he may not like the surface material on the ramp. I wonder if you can wedge the top of a rubber backed runner between the top of the ramp and your vehicle so it won't slip, if he might like it better.

All fingers and paws crossed here!

Guest snakes

5 tramadol is a lot, maybe ask for something else to try to see if it makes a difference?

Prednisone will make some dogs (and humans) VERY VERY hungry and thirsty, it sounds like he needs to put some weight back on but watch he doesn't overdo it for too long.

Good luck, I would probably be having a fit at the vet and whoever his manager and that persons manager.

If you can get him in the car, i would just drive ujp t the front door of the clinic and make them help you get him out while you supervise and then have them help you back in the car. I would suggest a short flight of steps at home (liek they make for dogs to get on couches and beds) but is he able to do steps with his sore leg?

Just one kind, this one is more expensive:

http://www.entirelypets.com/pet-studio-rampstep-3-steps.html

Just checking in for an update, as I imagine your vet visit is about over by now. I so very much hope everything went well. The problem of getting Da Vid in the car is not trivial!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Home from the vet's office with no drama. Must be getting stronger because I finally lifted him in. After the leg wound wrap, the took out the staples and then asked me if they could cut his nails! He did not eat this morning, but did after got home. Poor guy, he is back to sleeping on the hard floor. I am giving him 2 Tramadol every8 hours. It seems to be easing him. While I was at the vet's office they brought out a cardboard coffin with a dog that had just died with a heat stroke. The owner said it had just been walking besides the lawn tractor and fell over. Probably will have to do this bandage changing for another week and then will start with "physical therapy". Does anyone know anything about that? What is it supposed to do? Thanks, Nan

Oh, I forgot to say: I have two greyhounds now, having had Huck die of bone cancer 3 months ago. Lady (Pat C Napless) is 7 and Da Vid (JM'S Gone Bayou) is 6. Both came from GAP in Jacksonville, but I found Lady on Craig's List.

One more question: Since I have had him home he has not rested more than 2 hours at a time. He is on two 50mg of Tramadol every 8 hours. Please tell me something else to give him or to up the dosage. All of the last two weeks is now making sense to me now. The raw place on his back is from him standing up in a crate and rubbing his back on the top wire for hours on end. The tech said he was just a "turd". He has raw places on each paw. Another tech said he was a spoiled brat. His legs busted open. He ate his left front forearm. I am sure he cried and cried and that is why they moved him to a room away from them...they did not want to listen to him. He is still crying, and panting and drooling here at home. My vet is not open (and she is the one that said it was a toe injury and wanted to remove it) and the emergency place in Savannah is the one that put him in this condition in the first place. I was up with him every hour on the hour for the last two nights and finally got up and dressed at 3:30 this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have bottle of Tylenol 3 left over from Huck's cancer. Would that make him stop hurting, but not hurt him? Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure no tylenol. And the larger dose of tramadol may have been making him anxious and preventing him from resting. He may do better on the new, lower dose after he gets used to it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh my ... it sounds like some other pain medication is certainly warranted, but if the vet didn't prescribe Deramax or other NSAID (along with the Tramadol), I would be uncomfortable offering them in case they had a reason.

Please know that when my boy was on Tramadol, he was a lot more clingy than usual.

The water therapy may feel really good to him ... but are open wounds permitted in water therapy? (and if so, please ensure that the water has not been used by another animal ... you don't need to pick up an infection!)

They will not start the therapy with his leg like it is (and I said this, not them). OSU is about a 12-14 hour drive for me. And that is not counting the bathroom breaks and gas breaks. It would be just me and Da Vid going so I would be doing all of the driving. I wonder if you just show up at their door, will they just see you? Every time I have mentioned OSU to my vet, she has just pretended that I did not mention their name.

No tylenol. There are certain end-of-life type situations where you can use it. Most situations, no.

Tramadol is a double-edged sword. It gives good pain relief. It makes some dogs restless and stoned-acting. It might be worth trying a smaller dose more frequently -- 50mg every 4 hours instead of 100 every 8.

I honestly wouldn't consider driving to OSU at this point. You're dealing with awful -- but from your description uncomplicated -- wounds, pain, and a possible intolerance to certain pain meds. It might be worth submitting a consult form to them regarding alternative pain meds for his injuries if your vet doesn't have anything else to offer.

My heart goes out to you. Really hope your boy turns the corner soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have also had a grand thought. I will drive however long it takes next time to get to OSU.

Greyt idea!! Best care anywhere! Of course driving there now might not be a good idea with your hound in such pain--another time perhaps.

Tylenol 3 ( i dont believe you can get tylenol 4 any longer) can be used but, it must be dosed carefully--can you call your vet in the morning and ask for an accurate dose??

Is he still on dexamethasone?? If not after a washout period you can start an NSAID. May want to consider gabapentin at this point too.

I would be so furious at your vet-absolutely unacceptable.

Edited by tbhounds

Yes, he is still on Dexamethasone. He is tapering and has 3 left given every other day. The surgeon told me day before yesterday (when they discharged him) that he did not need to be on any pain meds. He must be out of touch with reality. I think the whole damn place should shut down. My vet tried to tell me not to go there, but she was the one that wanted to amputate his toe! I gave him 100 mg of Tamarol at 7:00 PM. He is laying down, but he is not comfortable and he is whining every two minutes. It is going to be another LONG night. Before I adopted any pets (these greyhounds) I envisioned dogs laying in front of the fireplace with endearing eyes on me, only going to the vet for rabies shots. Man, was I ever wrong. Huck has IBD from day one, he had a cracked molar also from day one, and then cancer. Da Vid had an abscessed canine tooth, no enamel on his teeth from chewing the crate at the tracks and now this disk surgery and also the chewed up leg. Guess I am whining, but when they are gone that is it for me. I will just volunteer at Chatham County Humane Society and leave adopting to others. Thank for letting me vent.

Would Valium help him relax and rest?

I also agree with tbhounds on the possibility of a reaction to the Tramadol.

Are there any other greyhound owners in your area? You sound exhausted and in need of some help. :grouphug

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tramadol can cause a bit of a psychotic reaction in some dogs.

I second this. After Wilbur broke his leg, he was given Tramadol, and it was horrible for him. He could not get settled and was up & down, up & down, pacing, and panting. It was terrible. I think I would request a different pain medicine.

I'm sorry your guy didn't get better care after surgery. I hope he feels better soon.

My galgo, Cruz, had a similiar reaction to Tramadol he was given after surgery a couple of years ago.

I hope Da Vid makes a full recovery. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Would Valium help him relax and rest?

I also agree with tbhounds on the possibility of a reaction to the Tramadol.

Are there any other greyhound owners in your area? You sound exhausted and in need of some help. :grouphug

This is a very good idea. You need rest to take care of Da Vid and yourself.

Thanks everyone. We were up every hour again last night. I have cut the tramadol to 50mg every 4 hours and he is resting for the first time since his surgery. He ate his breakfast like a wild dog and the layer back down (actually one his dog bed). He has slept about 3 hours now and I feel like celebrating!!!!! I put in a call to my vet a few hours ago to ask her if there was something she could give me besides tramadol. If she has animals at the clinic she has to tend to I will be glad to drive there. I have not had a return call. Hopefully she does not have an attitude because I would not let her take his toe off and insisted on going to a doctor she did not recommend. There is a greyhound owner that lives about 30 miles from me. She is also a registered nurse. I called her the other day and poured out the story. She did not have any suggestions about another drug. Does anyone think I should go ahead with the water therapy whenever his leg heals? If it hurts him I think I need to cancel doing it. I firmly believe he has hurt enough. Thanks

Guest Energy11

Nan, I sent you an email about all of this. I do like the idea of giving the Valium to help him rest, too. It just might do the trick. Call or leave me an email. I am sorry you are going through this. It is NOT always like this! I still have my original five, who are all seniors. ... Sending love your way! Dee

I don't have any Valium, but I did find a bottle of Gabapentin 100mg caps. The directions say to give him one capsule every 24 hours with food for pain. What does everyone think?

I wouldn't mix the Gabapentin at this point, not with all the other stuff he is on. You need to run that one by the vet. I AM FOR THE VALIUM, though. It saves my Goldie at night (Doggie Alzheimers). She is a "nut case" sometimes, and it really helps her relax. I'd ask the vet for some ASAP. Being you've seen the Evet, and they know him, THEY could prescribe today.

Thanks everyone. We were up every hour again last night. I have cut the tramadol to 50mg every 4 hours and he is resting for the first time since his surgery. He ate his breakfast like a wild dog and the layer back down (actually one his dog bed). He has slept about 3 hours now and I feel like celebrating!!!!! I put in a call to my vet a few hours ago to ask her if there was something she could give me besides tramadol. If she has animals at the clinic she has to tend to I will be glad to drive there. I have not had a return call. Hopefully she does not have an attitude because I would not let her take his toe off and insisted on going to a doctor she did not recommend. There is a greyhound owner that lives about 30 miles from me. She is also a registered nurse. I called her the other day and poured out the story. She did not have any suggestions about another drug. Does anyone think I should go ahead with the water therapy whenever his leg heals? If it hurts him I think I need to cancel doing it. I firmly believe he has hurt enough. Thanks

As I mentioned in the email, I would get all the records to OSU and see what they recommend, too. If you think a trip up would be helpful, you could always hire a petsitter to come with you. There are retired vet tech who do this. At least OSU could recommend proper meds, dosages, and give an opinion on the water therapy, as well.

Guest Energy11

I wish I had read the message before I gave the Gabapentin. I put it down his throat about an hour ago. I sure hope it will not kill my dog.

You won't kill him :)) He might feel a little "loopier," but that is ok at this point. I will call you tomorrow, when I am available to talk, and we can go over some stuff. Sounds like it was the after-care, and that he is on his way up and out of the woods. It will take time, and lots and lots of patience. That is why I suggested finding a pet sitter with a medical background, so you can get a break.

RE: the Valium .... very few vets call back. They are like doctors :( Becasue he was seen, and stayed at the emergency vet, and they are open, try them for the Valium. I WILL call later tonight, if it isn't too late or tomorrow. Many hugs!

I wish I had read the message before I gave the Gabapentin. I put it down his throat about an hour ago. I sure hope it will not kill my dog.

I wouldn't give it to him again, or add anything else without a vet's okay, but I doubt the one dose will hurt him. I also checked drugs.com's interaction checker (it's for people, but probably applies), and the only stated interaction is that both gabapentine and tramadol are centarl nervous system depressants, so you might hold off on more tramadol until you can consult a vet.

Cross the water-therapy bridge when you get there. In humans, it can help a lot, so if it were my dog I'd be inclined to try it, and if he doesn't respond well, either at the time or in the following hours, don't do it again. I've done a lot of physical therapy myself of varying kinds and I really do think it's a great long-term alternative to throwing more drugs at the problem.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

You won't kill him :)) He might feel a little "loopier," but that is ok at this point. I will call you tomorrow, when I am available to talk, and we can go over some stuff. Sounds like it was the after-care, and that he is on his way up and out of the woods. It will take time, and lots and lots of patience. That is why I suggested finding a pet sitter with a medical background, so you can get a break.

RE: the Valium .... very few vets call back. They are like doctors :( Becasue he was seen, and stayed at the emergency vet, and they are open, try them for the Valium. I WILL call later tonight, if it isn't too late or tomorrow. Many hugs!

If this little guy could take all of this and still be here, HE WILL BE OK! :)) I feel it in my bones! :))