Tramadol

Da Vid was released from the surgeon's today. He had back surgery. Yesterday morning I took his turn out muzzle and stool guard to them. Today they told me he should go home. He had mutilated his arm. HUGE bandage. He has lost 17#. Went from 80# to 63#. I am really worried about him. They were giving him 5 Tramadol at a time. Please give me your thoughts.

Is he taking prednisone?? They will exhibit huge weight loss from that-melts muscle right off of them. 5 tramadol? How many times a day? Did they not want to give injectable pain meds?

Think I would be bloody pissed at your vet.

The surgery went great. What I have a problem is with the after care. This is also a 24 hour emergency service. There are techs and a vet there 24 hours a day. They did give him injectable meds while he was there. He spent 3 days after surgery there and then they released him to me. When I brought him home he would not lay down and he circled and cried for about 8 hours. His legs looked like elephants (they did bust open). I took him back to the surgeon. Course they were not open so emergency vet took him. Fast forward to 9 days and they released him again to me. He cannot step up into his bed. He is crying and whining. He is on Simplicef 200mg 1 tab every 24 hours and Dexatyethasone .5mb 1/2 tab every other days for 5 days. They said he mutilated his front leg and the reason is unknown. Possibly his extended board has created abnormal behavior maybe some steroid psychosis. He has to have his bandage changed there every day, his stitches out Monday and he starts hydro therapy next week for 3 weeks. This will be a 65 mile round trip everyday. The bill $5900. for surgery, $1138.00 today and therapy will cost $1300.00 Thank goodness I have Trupanion insurance. I still am worried about him.

Oh, let me make it clear that the vet's office said the bit about the psychosis. I say it was they left him also long enough for him to eat his leg nearly off. They did not put the turn out muzzle on him. His bed (that I brought) was very bloody. And I mean a huge place on his bed ( 1' by 2'). I am also not sure if I can lift him in my SUV as he weights more than 1/2 of what I do. Thanks for letting me vent.

That's a lot of tramadol but not unheard of.

Hope your boy can recover from his surgery and his injury. Despite the trials you're going through, it does sound like he'll be better off with you. Many many hugs!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom. I just fed him again. This is the 3rd feeding since about noon. He acts like a wild dog about the food. His is having trouble with the 4 back steps, but has to use them. I am glad he is home and am not sure if he would have lived much longer at the vets.

He'll need some fuel to get through this, for sure. Not-too-big frequent feedings are great if you can manage that for a time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, just hopes and prayers that things improve quickly.

(Is there any chance that consulting with the surgeon by phone before the weekend would be a good idea? If I were the surgeon, I wouldn't want bad aftercare -- theirs, not yours -- messing up my work!)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FullMetalFrank

Tramadol can cause a bit of a psychotic reaction in some dogs. I gave Non a 50 mg. tablet (just one) and he reacted to it; very fearful and shaking. I won't give him tramadol anymore. It's fairly common for dogs (and some people) to react that way. I'd be angry about the damage to his leg, he should have been monitored better IMHO and the muzzle used if needed. Extended periods of confinement also can cause such a reaction; he was probably very unhappy, poor guy. Sending prayers that he heals up quickly, now that he is home.

Guest Adrianne

Tramadol can cause a bit of a psychotic reaction in some dogs.

I second this. After Wilbur broke his leg, he was given Tramadol, and it was horrible for him. He could not get settled and was up & down, up & down, pacing, and panting. It was terrible. I think I would request a different pain medicine.

I'm sorry your guy didn't get better care after surgery. I hope he feels better soon.

No advice, just hopes and prayers that things improve quickly.

(Is there any chance that consulting with the surgeon by phone before the weekend would be a good idea? If I were the surgeon, I wouldn't want bad aftercare -- theirs, not yours -- messing up my work!)

I second the suggestion about discussing after care with the surgeon!

He's FAR FAR better off with you. Frankly I think you're lucky they didn't kill him. Of course they neglected him- they really don't care. They did the same thing to my Minny when he had to be admitted. They riopped his hind leg almost off destroying all the ligaments etc. because Minny was big and heavy and they were too lazy and didn't want to move him properly and possible get dirty etc.. So they swung him by his hind legs because they really ddin't care about him. The improtant thing was they had my credit card so the bill was covered-THATS really all they cared about. In fact the vet in charge of Minny told me "Its not about compassion." He really didn't mean to say that...it slipped out...then he realized what he said and tried to back peddle...but it was obvious it was the truth as far as they were concerned. It was PITIFUL the suffering and pain he went through as a result of that. It was heartbreaking to watch him in such agony all because of their neglect-as your boy was. He wasn't even able to stand up it was so bad. And I was so upset I didn't pursue it but I can assure you I'll have the lawyers on it now if that crap ever happens to another of my dogs. Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of Minny's crossing over so it is very painful to remember the hell they put him through as he battled to survive their negligence as well as the original problem. Praying for your sweet boy!!!! Give him a kiss for me.

I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. Tramadol does have some wonky side effects but what your describing sounds like neglect from the facility. Poor baby thank goodness he is home with you.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Thanks everyone. I took him back for a bandage change this morning. He really did not want to go in!! I have to take him back everyday. Also, he gets the staples out Monday and will have to go back for water therapy for 15 days. The therapy is per the surgeon. They are bringing two people that are usually off on Saturday to change his bandage. They said it was soft tissue damage and that he would not loose his leg. It was a bad night last night as he circled and cried all night. I put a blanket on the floor for him to sleep on. He will not step onto his dog beds which came from Victoria Peak so you know they are very thick! It hurts for him to lift his leg. His back seems to be healing nicely. He sure is hungry and I sure am feeding him several times a day.

oh my God, your poor boy (and you!). How horrible!!!! I will pray that he heals quickly! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks. I guess his water therapy will be on hold until his leg heals. Since I am gun shy now, does anyone know how long I should wait before we start it? Surgeon has not said yet. Guess he is still planning on taking the staples out Monday.

Guest 2dogs4cats

That's a HUGE weight loss. Did the vet say why he lost so much? I don't think I would leave him with that vet again. So sorry, hope he feels better soon!

No, the vet did not say anything except to keep him on the medicines. He has finally gotten on his dog bed and he is asleep now. All day yesterday, last night and today he has cried every time I am out of his sight. I guess two weeks at the vet's has really made him worry that I was leaving again. You can bet I will not leave him anywhere again. If I can't stay with him, we will find another vet.

I am so sorry you & DaVid are going through this. 5 Tramadol (250 mg) is A LOT!! I can certainly understand where the stress of being in a strange place

and a boatload of drugs doing weird things to his head (mind) would make a hound do some crazy things. Thank goodness he's home where he belongs.

I hope that in time (sooner rather than later) this can pass on by & become just a miserable nightmare.

Sending prayers for your boy to have a restful, peaceful evening, (and also one for you....for strength & courage to get through this)

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thank you so much. The problem with having to go to Savannah so much is that I drive a Sportage SUV. He cannot jump into the back and I cannot lift him. I have tried to lift him many times and it is a no go. So, I bought a ramp. You can forget that! So, I borrowed a much longer ramp (slope is gradual) and you can forget that also. He will not go up either ramp no matter what treat I try to give him. I just do not have the strength to lift him. We have am appointment tomorrow at 10:00 for a bandage change. I will get up at 6:00 to feed both dogs. Then I will start trying to get him in the car. I have no one to help. Daughter and grandkids live too far and neighbors are also not available. What I need is a handicap van that is very low to the ground. I think when these greys are gone, I will stop adopting them. Just cannot handle it.

I'm so sorry there's no one close by to help. I would be there in a twinkling if you were within an hour of me. Sending hugs and hopes tomorrow goes better than you expect.

Any chance he would put his feet up on the tailgate and let you lift his butt in, or is that not feasible post-surgery?