Pro Plan Or Iams (Adopting First Greyhound This Weekend)

Guest dmblack98

Guest dmblack98

Hello! We are adopting out first Greyhound this weekend. The rescue said to get either Iams or Pro Plan and I was hoping for advice on which to get or if anyone had any other suggesstions.

Thank you for your help!

Congrats! Ask what the group is feeding him and how long he has been on it. If it is working for him, I would continue it. With mine, I try not to make too many changes at once. Then after he is settled, you can feed him something else, if you like, with a gradual switch to the new food :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

We've been using ProPlan for four years. Our three dogs have done very well on the Shredded Lamb kibble.

Congrats on adopting your first greyhound! :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest dmblack98

The group is using Sam's Club brand of Purina. Should I continue that until she is settled and then switch? Thanks for the help! We are very excited!

Mine are on ProPlan Salmon Sensitive skin and stomach and I have never had such good poop! :) I would suggest sticking with what the group is feeding for awhile to allow the dog to settle in and get comfortable and then switch over gradually.

Congratulations on your new addition. We will, of course, want to see pics! :)

There are eight million on threads on food to search .... basically, all you are picking is the food you'll try first. If it works, great, but lots of people have to try different foods to find the one that works for their hound. But agree that you should stick to what he's been getting at first.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest ShanYu

Adoption group recommended Pro Plan Sensitive Skin Sensitive Stomach so that's what we fed Nike from the beginning and it has been just fine.

Guest Celestrina

Congratulations on your new addition. We will, of course, want to see pics! :)

People tend to get nasty here if you don't post pics, so the sooner the better.

The group is using Sam's Club brand of Purina. Should I continue that until she is settled and then switch? Thanks for the help! We are very excited!

Do you have a Sam's Club membership? If so, and she does well on the food and you're comfortable with the ingredients, I wouldn't switch at all. If you don't have a membership or don't want to keep her on that food for some reason then yes, ask for a sufficient amount of food to very gradually switch her over to something else. What you choose depends on your preferences, but if the SC Purina sits well with her, you might try to find something with a similar formula/ingredient list.

I like the Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach when I'm forced to do a switch cold turkey, fyi.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What a pretty girl! I love white toes!

As far as food, I've used both with good results. Iams was the only thing that fixed my grumbly tummy Rex, but the current crew did fine on Pro Plan. There is a fairly big cost difference between the two. Right now they are eating Purina One which is in between.

Purina has a new food out called Purina One Beyond. The chicken and oatmeal formula ingredients are great for the price but is fairly calorie dense.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes!

She is very pretty!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I agree with sticking with the SC if you have a membership until she settles in. Then if she is doing well, I would move to the Purina that has the same ingredient list, unless you want to change foods. Then I would mix the new in with the old until you are completely switched over. Many people do that in the span of a week. I take a little longer because of the sensitive tummies we have had in the past.

And, I love black pups :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest BooneTia

We use ProPlan here!!Plus the weight circles are turned in to our adoption group to help pay for food for the fosters!! Win-Win

I'm a total Iams green bag convert. I tried everything from Science Diet to TOTW to Diamond Naturals. They all gave my dogs runny poops. I switched to green bag with no transition (I figured, could it really get much worse?), and they both did wonderfully. I was shocked.