No Specific Diagnosis

I haven't visited GreyTalk in a long time and I feel guilty for coming back looking for assistance now...but I just don't know where else to turn. This will probably turn into one long post!

Cleo will be 13 in early September and, with the exception of one incident in early March, she has been in perfect health until Tuesday. The episode Tuesday was very similar to the March incident but she is not bouncing back as quickly.

The first episode, I thought she had tripped in her blanket getting out of her bed (on the floor). But...it was quickly apparent something else was going on. She started circling in one direction and then leaning on me. If I moved, she moved to lean on me again. She needed support. She also had an accident which I don't think she realized happened. Within eight hours of that happening, she was back to her normal self. We did take her to the vet. Nothing abnormal. Vet thought she might have had a seizure.

Tuesday afternoon, DH found her in the laundry room (in the basement) staring at the washing machine. She was very wobbly and could not negotiate the three steps to our family room. We finally got her to relax in the upstairs living room and she was fine until 3:00 a.m. when she had another episode.

Our vets have run bloodwork, urinanalyis and x-rays. Nothing abnormal is showing up.

But Cleo is very wobbly (she just can't seem to get her balance), she is not interested in eating...unless we can find the exact thing (yesterday it was two hot dogs, four meatballs and a cheese sandwich). She has not enjoyed her (very brief) walks for the last two days and she is usually the first hound at the door for walks. She does not look happy.

I don't know if we should continue to investigate the cause of the problem. Vet visits are very stressful for her.

I don't know if it's time to let her go. But she is NOT our Cleo.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Vestibular disease can linger on for a while. It's a problem with the middle ear. Bloodwork and xrays won't show anything. But a vet would know this.

A stroke could also cause this problem Again bloodwork and xrays could be clear.

I'm sorry to hear Cleo's not doing well.

Guest IrskasMom

First of all , you can always come for help /or Advice here.

Unfortunitly even our loyal Companions are getting old to and starting to show Signs of Aging. I have no Advice ,just some Prayers and gentle Hugs for your lovely Cleo .

Sounds like the old dog/vestibular disease thing. I believe I would just keep doing what your doing-feed her whatever you can get her to eat and love her. She may come out of it. My vote is to just to give her some more time before taking further action. Give her a kiss for me!

I agree with the others, it sounds just like vestibular disease. The dog gets unbalanced, because they feel like the room is spinning. That gives a dog an upset stomach also, so they don't want to eat.

My Rainy had one of these vestibular episodes, the vet put her on one medication to stop the room from spinning, and another to sooth her upset stomach. It helped her greatly to bounce back.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

My vet put my whippet on generic dramamine that I got from CVS when he had a vestibular episode. It helped with the nausea.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My vet put my whippet on generic dramamine that I got from CVS when he had a vestibular episode. It helped with the nausea.

Yup-benadryl will be recommended at times too.

One thing to look for are the eyes-darting back and forth????

Thank you for the responses.

I spoke with our vet about the possibility of vestibular disease and he does not think that is the cause of her problems as she does not display the other symptoms (head tilt, eye movement).

We did run one additional test and it has revealed levels protein levels that six times the high normal. We are now investigating potential kidney issues. An ultrasound is scheduled this morning.

I will update as we learn more.

Thank you again.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

We did run one additional test and it has revealed levels protein levels that six times the high normal. We are now investigating potential kidney issues. An ultrasound is scheduled this morning.

Any updates? Are the elevated protein levels in the blood or urine? High protein in the urine can indicate kidney disease and high blood pressure. And high blood pressure can lead to strokes.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Any updates? Are the elevated protein levels in the blood or urine? High protein in the urine can indicate kidney disease and high blood pressure. And high blood pressure can lead to strokes.

I wondered if proteinuria was a factor here (hence my sneaking in a low dose aspirin comment).

Was a urine protein creatinine ratio run???

Guest PhillyPups

Jennifer, I am just seeing this thread now. How is Cleo doing?

Sending you :bighug and welcome back, you have been missed.

(I was going to concur with the others, however, that has been answered)

This sounds a lot like what happened to our Dusty last year (she was just 9)... We made the choice to let her go because she was nothing like herself, couldn't hold food down, couldn't walk, etc. The vet didn't offer us any hope, really, and didn't suggest tests or possible diagnoses other than "Maybe it was a stroke, maybe something else neurological." He seemed entirely not bothered by our visit and really looked like he wanted us to make a decision so he could go home. Hearing that it's something that may have been curable had he taken the time to talk to us is absolutely heartbreaking and I'm now even happier that I refuse to step foot into that vet office.

I hope you're able to figure out what it is and get Cleo back to her happy, healthy self in no time!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest patterpaws

I don't have any advice, just sending love and :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug:candle :candle :candle

Any updates? Hoping for the best for you and Cleo

Edited by patterpaws