Spaying

Guest Lady_Catherine

Guest Lady_Catherine

I had Bessie spayed on Wednesday, July 6. Everything went great until about 2 AM this morning (July 10) when she woke us up chewing on her stitches. We had a Cone of Shame and put that on her, then took her in to the vet this morning.

483375_10100143729087972_1740661902_n.jpg

She had nearly completely opened her stitches. Our vet decided to try to glue it to see if that worked. It did most of the day, and Bessie did not lick/chew. Actually, she could not because of the cone, but she did not really try.

However, by the end of the afternoon, it was wide open again. We took her in again, and she got stitched up with no dissolving stitches. They gave us a different BiteNot Collar to keep her from chewing. I'm a bit freaked. The vet said we need to be extra careful to watch for infection now, since the wound has been opened. Eep.

Below is a pic of the current wound/stitches. Warning: graphic.

552252_10100144067569652_1495646973_n.jpg

Our other dog was already spayed when we got her, so I've never had to deal with this before. Tell me about your experiences- talk me down! :)

Well, don't let her out of your sight. If she went four days from surgery to removing her stitches, then they probably were itching and got her notice that way. That means she's not to be trusted for at least another four days...and probably more. Also, she's feeling better now, so she'll have some free time where she's feeling perky and bored, so she'll need close watching. (And this gives you a preview of her attitude toward stitches and itches--something to keep in mind if she ever gets dinged up in the future.)

I was lucky with Silver. By the time she stopped feeling like death warmed over (she was very nauseated), the stitches had a good start on healing. When I left her and went to work, though, I left her muzzled, with a muzzle guard. She never touched her stitches.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Man, that is THE biggest cone I've ever seen!

Actually, the site really doesn't look too horribly graphic or anything to freak out over. :dunno

It's been a few years since I was in the wholesale spay/neuter world, but back in the day they used disolvables on the inside of girls and non dissolvables on the outside, but that may have changed. :dunno.

I'd say to relax. :kiss2:cookie

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It looks like they have it stitched pretty good this time. Keep the cone on her for at least a week maybe 10 day until it's completely healed. Just watch for any seeping or redness that spreads. Did they at least give you an antibiotic to give her since she's opened the stitches?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Summer was spayed about 2 years ago and her stitches were non-dissolvable, so that part is pretty normal I would say. Dunno if you like any homeopathic stuff, but you could spray it regularly with colloidal silver. And you could muzzle her instead of the cone or bitenot, she might find that more comfortable. If she still licks through the muzzle, you can duct tape it or toss in a stool guard if you have one.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Lady_Catherine

They did not give me an antibiotic, but will if it gets infected. I kind of wondered why they did not since she had opened!

Greyaholic, the first stitches she had were all dissolvable, but since she opened them, they went to the hard core stuff. :)

I work from home, so I am able to watch her like a hawk!

Edited by Lady_Catherine

Put a T shirt on her. Try for the long ones that will cover her tummy. Maybe what might work is to take the top off the tee shirt and just use it as a belly band. Or a greyboy's belly band may work. Anything to keep it lightly covered and away from busy mouths. If the cone gets in the way, the 'band' plus a muzzle with a stool guard will protect the boo-boo.

Guest Gemma

I would ask for antibiotics now instead of waiting. All our dogs get a short dose of them following surgery. If she's opened the wound twice that would be the first thing I'd prescribe if I were a vet. Not sure why they didn't?

You can get a soft cone from Petco, which will be more comfortable for her (and you; our dogs like to ram us when they're in the cone of shame!). I LOVE our soft cone and would not be without it. The great thing is, it's comfy enough for them to sleep in so less fussing!

I have to say, her incision looks good considering what has happened. :)

Absorbable suture is not less "hard core" than non-absorbable, you just don't have exposed suture to take out later. :) It is quite standard to use either to close the skin.

She may have opened the first layer but that doesn't mean she needs antibiotics. Certainly she has a higher risk now but I've seen a few do it and never needed antibiotics. My own rabbit actually did it the morning after her spay. She didn't get any antibiotics and had no further problems. I would just keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection and get antibiotics if you actually need them. :)

I remember being nervous new spay mom. Hang in there.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Lady_Catherine

She's doing fine right now, and does not seem to mind the BiteNot collar. I am eager for everything to be healed and done with, but she is doing well. :)

Guest Lady_Catherine

Update: She is still in the BiteNot, and she looks pretty much healed! We get her stitches out on Friday- not a moment too soon!