Old Dog Pooping Issues

Guest SueG201

Guest SueG201

my old girl is having a problem holding her poop in, sometimes she eats and 5 mins later she poops in the house, easy enough to pick up but s he is skinny. Lately she has been having accidents on my bed ( GROSS) and has ruined my comforter because she has no idea when she is asleep that she has pooped. she was recently put on thyroid meds for her 0.05 reading. She was shedding profusely. Is there something I should be giving her to bulk her up. ?She is 13.5 yrs old , excellent health except for the weakened back end. I would like to get her weight back up, she is down to 52 lbs and should be 65. she is a big girl. My senior blood profile showed all her organs are great, good heart, liver, kidneys etc. I am at a loss. I have greyhounds for a long time, but this is my first true oldie. My others all succumbed to osteo. Anyone have a quick fix?

If she didn't have a full thyroid panel, she probably doesn't need the thyroid meds and they would contribute to her weight loss. They could also contribute to her pooping more often.

Many vets do only a T4, which is not a useful diagnostic test for hypothyroidism. You want a very low or zero fT4ed (free T4 by equilibrium dialysis) AND a very high TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) PLUS thyroid-specific symptoms at a minimum before you medicate.

For the older pups who have trouble holding poop in, I find it is best to take the dog out just before and just after meals. It can help to take note of other times during the day that poop tends to occur and get the dog out a little early (for example, dog tends to poop around noon, take dog out and walk around a little at 10:45 -- you may be able to get the poop cleaned out at that time).

Best luck with your pupper!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SueG201

she had a full thyroid panel done, she was thin and pooping before I took her to vet. She is on Natures Domain. I am thinking I should change her food, but she is finicky and will turn her nose up at most foods.

When old dogs have spinal (back end) troubles they can lose the feeling and muscle tone in their anal area. They have no idea what is going on back there and as you have noted, can poop in their sleep. I have heard of people who have tried acupuncture for this issue with some success. Good luck. We have been through it too.