Painful To The Touch Corn

Guest Fasave

Guest Fasave

I will start this by saying I've dealt with corns for years with a previous pup who had corns on as many as three feet at one time. I've tried it all from duct tape to the Murray Ave cream. With my previous pup, I finally settled with being able to do an occasional hulling myself and smoothing the surface with a dremel followed by duct tape. Thera-paws for all walks. In general, he did fine with this routine although I wished I could have found a cure for him. Now my boy Thunder has a corn on the tip of his toe which has been there for about a year. Duct tape won't stay on due to the location. He snarks when I even try to trim nails, let alone hull a corn. I've had the vet hull it several times and have had a friend come over and hold him while I've tried to work on it. It just keeps getting worse. Now if I even attempt to touch it, he screams. He's a pretty stoic guy so this behavior is out of character for him so I'm more likely to believe him that it's painful. For the last few weeks his limp has gotten worse and if he's standing still, he will hold up that paw. I'm 99% sure it's the corn causing the limping.

I've never been a supporter of surgery for corns as I haven't read that it's a cure and know several pups that have done surgery only to have the corn return. But now I don't know what to do. He's 6 and I can't imagine him being this way for the rest of his life. I do know a few pups who have had infected corns but there is no swelling in that toe. He has an appointment with the vet on Friday. My vet is very grey savvy but I also know he has surgically removed corns before with some success and feel that he might push me in this direction.

Looking for advice on what people might do if they were me. I hate corns!

Maybe it's not the usual corn? I know they can get different growths besides corns. Does your vet feel it's a run-of-the-mill-goddam-corn? When you say on the tip of his toe, is it a weight bearing surface? I might consider a biopsy which would essentially be removing it anyway.

I hear you about his age - my Conor has had his front ones removed & I'm very close to getting his rear ones done also. Nothing else has worked. He'll be 8 on Sunday & has dealt with these for the 4 years I've had him. :(

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Fasave

Maybe it's not the usual corn? I know they can get different growths besides corns. Does your vet feel it's a run-of-the-mill-goddam-corn? When you say on the tip of his toe, is it a weight bearing surface? I might consider a biopsy which would essentially be removing it anyway.

I hear you about his age - my Conor has had his front ones removed & I'm very close to getting his rear ones done also. Nothing else has worked. He'll be 8 on Sunday & has dealt with these for the 4 years I've had him. :(

Poor Conor. It seems that 4 - 5 is a pretty common age for corns to show up. Yes, the corn is on a weight bearing portion of the toe but closer the nail. It's a middle toe on the front right foot. Interestingly, that is the same toe that my Avalanche had his first corn. Makes you wonder. My vet has to date thought that is was a pretty much a "run of the mill goddam corn" (love that term, btw). Has Conor's front corns returned? How long ago did you have it done?

I have had great success with a homeopathic remedy from Lori Rose in Europe (Lori Rose RHom Lic BsH Homeopathic Medicine) lorimrose@aol.com

I found her online through a website that her friend runs. I originally e-mailed the friend who then put me in touch with Lori. Anyway - it's these teeny tiny balls that melt on the pups tongue - one that's once a day for 6 days, one that's once a week for 6 weeks, and then an essential oil that you put on the corn a few times a day. I will say that the corn got bigger before it totally went away but MAN what a happy dog after it was gone. You do have to keep up on the essential oil applications even after the corn is gone but it seriously takes 2 minutes.

Lori asks a few questions about your dog and it's health and then custom makes the remedy for your pup. It was worth the $60 USD or so that it cost and she ships super quick.

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Conor's front ones were removed a couple of years ago. They haven't come back but he does have scar tissue. Nowhere near as bad as the corns themselves. He wears Neopaws & is I think comfortable.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis