Foot Stamping?

Guest juniper485

Guest juniper485

My 5 yr old (going on 2) grey girl did this weird thing with a Corgi mix at a get-together yesterday. The two dogs sniffing each other outside, then ignored each other, then were together again when a few of us gathered in the living room. My friends, who own the Corgi, were sitting on the floor with him, and I was standing by the door, watching my girl trotting around. She darted up to the Corgi and started stamping/pummeling/pouncing on the ground with her front feet, right in his face. She looked like she was trying to rile him up- and it worked, he barked at her. She kept doing it though- she'd back off when he barked, then come back and do it again. I called her off after a while since it wasn't going anywhere and the Corgi was starting to try to get away from her. Anyone else seen this behavior? She's pretty forward and dominant when she plays generally- I guess it was the particular move she was doing, and the repetition without variation, that made me feel like it was more than play. Definitely NOT a bow, as you see many playful dogs doing- but perhaps her best attempt at one?

Sounds like she was trying to get him to play with her. One of mine does that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My Beggar used to do that when he wanted out and I was on the phone and not getting off quickly enough. Of course, when he got out, first he'd sniff the air, count the clouds or birds, then wander around from bush to bush until he found just the right spot......

Guest Vers

My Stella is a major foot stamper, and does not have a dominant bone in her body. Play bows are not the only body language for play among many dogs, but the foot stamping usually means "urgent want" as others above have said. It doesn't seem to be something other dogs take as rude in any case, but Corgis may have a different "word" for this signal -- I've seen the same thing happen between Stella and a friend's Sheltie. In any case, you did good by recognizing the Corgi's discomfort and moving away, even though your girl just wanted to play. They weren't speaking the same language.

Guest juniper485

All your replies are appreciated, made me laugh too - she's totally impatient AND a bit of a princess. It also makes my heart hurt a little because she wants friends SO BAD, misses her buddies from the adoption place and doesn't know how to interact with all the different dogs in this new world I've brought her to. I'm glad to have an interpretation for this behavior, we're getting to know each other a bit better every day!

PS: @Hooked, the Corgi couldn't stamp his foot even if he wanted to, too sausagy :)

Raven does the foot stamp when she wants to play and the recipient of her invitation is not responding quickly enough. You can almost hear her say, "Come ON, let's play already!" Usually it's directed at Evita the cat (the only one of the two who will deign to play with her).

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

My little diva girl Chelsa would stamp her feet if you weren't quick enough with what she wanted; whippy cream, getting leashes on for a walk, pets... She was such a clown.

Wendy does this...a kind of stiff-legged, front feet stomp? I've always translated it as, "Come on, come on, come on!"

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".