Constant Licking

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

I figured I'd reach out to this greyt community before calling the vet tomorrow.

One of my greys is l icking her behind very frequently. When she does it it seems to last a long time, and it's most certainly several times a day. I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue here. Her hindquarters get similar attention, and actually seem to be turning a different color than the rest of her coat. She's black and her hindquarters are kind of a rusty color.

I mean all dogs like themselves, but this seems a bit excessive. My other will do the same for about 5 seconds. She'll go on for 5 minutes. Other parts of her body don't get the same attention-everything else seems to be in the normal range as far as grooming goes.

I will call the vet tomorrow, but often there are such great suggestions here from people who have seem similar things. It's helped me to articulate things better and be specific if I've talked to ya'll. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Guest lanielovesgreys

Well, the licking on the butt could mean she needs her anal glands extracted. As far as the other spot, I've been dealing with this for years with Laika. She just gets going on this spot on her leg and won't stop. She licks it raw. I think it could be a hotspot, but it could be that she just gets a little obsessive. Laika will stop licking if we tell her to stop. And sometimes if it's particularly bad, we'll muzzle her so that it can heal properly. I know as it heals it probably itches.

At first we thought it was an allergy. Then we thought it was a plant she was eating in the backyard. Then stagnant water after it rained, and we finally landed on the hotspot/obsessive thing. I dunno, that's the best I've come up with after all these years.

Curious to see what other people suggest.

Guest firegypsy

staining makes sense. thank you. I am going to call the vet, I was just curious if others had experienced this.

she's not licking it raw at all, and the skin looks fine. my other has allergies and this seems quite different.

the only experience I have with anal glands in a dog it was kinda visible and there was a smell and secretions. It was my sisters dog, not a grey. this doesn't seem like that at all, but it's certainly worth considering.

to be honest, I just started thinking parasites yesterday.

i dealt with this with my Ig..for ages. first tried allergy meds,,tried a few. he was licking his whole body, not just one area. In the past when he licked his behind, it was his anal glands.

recently started on elavil as vet felt it turned into ocd behavior. decreased to almost nothing. also turning copper color. I agreed to try the meds as this has been going on for ages and he and my furniture were soaked all the time! Good luck.

Anal gland issues aren't always smelly or visible. Anal gland issues would be my first guess as well.

I agree. The only time my girl did this, she had impacted anal glands. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest LindsaySF

It could be any number of things, from impacted or infected anal glands, to a UTI, parasites, allergies, etc. Good luck at the vet!