Broken Nail

Today Dewey broke off one of his toenails. (On a weekend of course)..

It looks like there's a pinkish piece of hard toenail left surrounding the quick, though a little does seem to be exposed on the top :(

Is this worthy of an evet visit? It's not bleeding and it doesn't seem to be bothering him but I don't want him to be in pain.. it's gotta hurt.

Anything I can do in the meantime? I've been flushing it with salt water and spraying it with Vetericyn

ay9a1d.jpg

I would just keep it clean. I wouldn't use salt water though, that has to hurt and will probably dry everything out like peroxide does. I'd just rinse it off, maybe put some neosporin on it so it won't get infected. It will probably heal up by itself.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Keep it clean...a toddler-sized sock works well.

It should heal up just fine on it's own.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The situation got a little worse :(

I kept the 'nail' clean and covered which seemed to help that nail, but now almost all of his nails are in bad shape.. I'm not sure if it's the weather or allergies, or both.. He is licking his feet a lot and the bases of most of his nails are scabby and another nail is half-falling off.

My vet couldn't fit me in until Monday so until then I'm just spraying his toes with vetricin and gently rubbing vaseline on his claws. Has anybody else experienced this? I've had Dewey for 2 summers now and this is the first he's had these symptoms..

Edited by starhound

The situation got a little worse :(

I kept the 'nail' clean and covered which seemed to help that nail, but now almost all of his nails are in bad shape.. I'm not sure if it's the weather or allergies, or both.. He is licking his feet a lot and the bases of most of his nails are scabby and another nail is half-falling off.

My vet couldn't fit me in until Monday so until then I'm just spraying his toes with vetricin and gently rubbing vaseline on his claws. Has anybody else experienced this? I've had Dewey for 2 summers now and this is the first he's had these symptoms..

Sounds like SLO

Ugh, SLO. Read this. http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

Make sure you take it with you to your vet. Many seem to have never heard of it & 1/2 of those who have don't seem to recognize or think of it on their own. Good luck. My Venus had an attack of it & after shedding out every single nail she has her feet are much better.

Edited by kudzu

Ugh, SLO. Read this. http://www.grassmere...tal.com/SLO.htm

Make sure you take it with you to your vet. Many seem to have never heard of it & 1/2 of those who have don't seem to recognize or think of it on their own. Good luck. My Venus had an attack of it & after shedding out every single nail she has her feet are much better.

Thank you, I'm going to take that webpage with me on my iPad, we are seeing a very greyhound friendly vet which is comforting, so hopefully he has treated SLO before. It's a comfort to know your Venus is better now :beatheart

We managed to get an appointment for today instead of monday, so we can get this treatment started.

Edited by starhound

... Hopefully it can be resolved quickly with meds according to what I'm reading..

I really hate to add this but you should probably be prepared. If this is SLO then usually there is nothing quick about it. For most it takes weeks to months to see if the meds are really working. Some dogs have a much easier time of it. You just need to know that you might be in for a long road to recovery. Dogs seem prone to relapse as well at some time. I'm trying not to think of that possibility.

These days I am loving it every time Venus takes off running or comes sprinting back to me with a big ol' smile on her grey Grey face. At a certain point I feared it was an impossible battle but patience & perseverance paid off. Right now she isn't even on any meds except fish oil. So just want you to know it could be a long time, seemingly forever, but don't despair.

My Isabelle has SLO and we have her on Vit e 400 twice a day. We make sure to keep her nails as short as possible. Our holistic vet gave us a Chinese herb (I am at work so I don't know the name of it) but we have been giving it to her 1/2 t. a.m. and p.m. Vet said it will help the circulation in and around her nails. 2 months now on the herb and she has not lost a nail yet. Fingers crossed. We also do bee propolis 500 mg. once a day. We buy the one with no fillers from durham bee farm.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I am going through the same thing with Isis. We just got back from the vet. She lost two nails about two weeks ago and then one last night and one this afternoon. The one this afternoon bled a lot and has left her pretty pale. The vet has drawn some more blood work and is worried that something else, along with Slo is going on. :( While driving home she lost another toe nail. Ugh. Blood everywhere.

The vet upped her tramadol and said for me to continue the vit E and salmon oil. He wants to wait for the blood work results before he starts niacinamide.

Those of you who have dealt with this before, was there another infection or something else going on?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

No infection, bacterial or fungal, in the beginning. Later on though Venus had a mild fungal infection on one foot, presumably from the constant licking she did to loosen & remove the nails. We just gave her foot baths with an antifungal shampoo for a month. It wasn't anything I noticed or seemed to effect V. The vet did a culture because a couple previous patients had this happen. It wasn't there until a couple months into the process.

Venus was on meloxicam for inflammation & pain, tramadol for pain & the usual vit E, fish oil & niacinamide for the SLO. We also added gabapentin not too long into the process. Venus is such a stoic dog but she was in tremendous pain with SLO. It didn't help that she has a bum right rear leg & through most of this it was the only foot uneffected. Poor kid. At least she wasn't one of the bleeders. We only had a bit of blood with two of them & I mean just a few drops. The exception was the dangling nail the vet pulled off. It was hanging by a thread & came off easily. Venus didn't even flinch. Then the blood bath started. At least we were at the vet's office.

Dewey, Isis & their families have my sympathies. SLO is a bitch.

Thank you for all the messages, while SLO sucks its good to know we're not alone. Sad to see SLO is not as easy to treat as I initially read..

We just got back from the vet. He diagnosed SLO within seconds and they numbed Dewey's paws to remove the claws that were hanging off and trimmed back all the others that were hollowed. He's now all bandaged up and home with prednisone, iron supplements and antibiotics but I feel so bad for the boy. It came on within a few days and got so bad in such a short space of time.

Here's hoping the meds show some improvement sometime soon..

Vet was so nice, he'd seen multiple greyhounds with SLO and was no stranger to it :) (We moved to a new area recently, had to find a greyhound friendly vet :(

Edited by starhound

Usual medication protocol is essential fatty acids, tetracycline (or doxy) and Niacinamide. Another medication that I used (prescribed by a derm vet and fellow gh owner) was pentoxifylline -worked as well for my hound as the other standard protocol..

One thing I will mention is a would be very hesitant to perform a biopsy-very painful! It's easier to treat and see if your hound responds.

Forgot to mention- you need to do a short course of pred.

Edited by tbhounds

Usual medication protocol is essential fatty acids, tetracycline (or doxy) and Niacinamide. Another medication that I used (prescribed by a derm vet and fellow gh owner) was pentoxifylline -worked as well for my hound as the other standard protocol..

One thing I will mention is a would be very hesitant to perform a biopsy-very painful! It's easier to treat and see if your hound responds.

Doh! Forgot the tetracycline. She was on it for months until it became too hard to track down. Decided to try without & to date things ahve been OK. Could prove a bad decision in the long run. Only time will tell.

Will disagree on the need for pred. It might be beneficial for some dogs but I think that needs to be decided on a case by case basis.

Doh! Forgot the tetracycline. She was on it for months until it became too hard to track down. Decided to try without & to date things ahve been OK. Could prove a bad decision in the long run. Only time will tell.

Will disagree on the need for pred. It might be beneficial for some dogs but I think that needs to be decided on a case by case basis.

I disagree with the need for pred too-meant to write MAY need pred short term :-).