Separation Anxiety

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

So, as some as you might of noticed my threads about gliders potty habits.

well, I started looking into it and one cause for odd bathroom habits is separation anxiety. This kinda makes sense since we were thinking he might have SA, glider has a brown lick spot on his butt which he came with. We had our vet check it and she couldnt find any infection for reason for it to be that way, but he came with it so I didnt know too much about it or what to tell her. Then I noticed in situations where someone is getting ready to leave he will lay on his bed and constantly lick that spot over and over again. We would tell him to stop and then now he has started another spot and left the first spot alone. then, he started panicking when I would leave him, I would go to greyhound events and ask a grey person to hold him while I go to the bathroom and he would freak out. Hes also done it when im at my parents and he knows my parents he comes with me every weekend since ive had him (roughly 30 weekends) we cant even go to our kitchen with out him thinking we are leaving him. poor guy.

just wondering, what everyone else thinks i am going to my vet on monday to talk to her about all this, but i was wondering how other people with greys who have separation anxiety deal with it.

this is what we have to do everyday as well or he gets uncomfortable and wont sleep.

474669_3398968660633_1184631414_o.jpg

what can i say, he's a mommas boy :dunno

Guest ashphobiax

Have you done any alone training?

yes, and hes extremely smart and learns really quickly but when it comes to me leaving with out him to go to work or school or even to get the mail he goes insane running around crying.

Guest csusan

I ended up getting another greyhound. I wasn't sure from your post if he's you're only one and I know that sometimes getting another dog doesn't help and isn't an option. Izzy is very much a follower and needs another dog around to provide her some guidance. I also discussed it with my vet and decided to try her on Clomipramine. I have had Izzy for 3 yrs now and she is a different dog. She enjoys walks, meet and greets (still a little nervous with young children), and has been able to stay at friend's houses when I take rare trips out of town. She is very comfortable and relaxed now. Initially she would not let me out of her sight. The neighbors said she howled and cried the whole to I was gone. Unfortunately there isn't a magic solution and it may take time for things to change. You may end up trying a number of things to help him out. It has taken some time for Izzy to become the dog she was meant to be. But it has been so worth it - watching her grow in confidence, become more relaxed and happier-is so rewarding.

Good Luck

Guest ashphobiax

I ended up getting another greyhound. I wasn't sure from your post if he's you're only one and I know that sometimes getting another dog doesn't help and isn't an option. Izzy is very much a follower and needs another dog around to provide her some guidance. I also discussed it with my vet and decided to try her on Clomipramine. I have had Izzy for 3 yrs now and she is a different dog. She enjoys walks, meet and greets (still a little nervous with young children), and has been able to stay at friend's houses when I take rare trips out of town. She is very comfortable and relaxed now. Initially she would not let me out of her sight. The neighbors said she howled and cried the whole to I was gone. Unfortunately there isn't a magic solution and it may take time for things to change. You may end up trying a number of things to help him out. It has taken some time for Izzy to become the dog she was meant to be. But it has been so worth it - watching her grow in confidence, become more relaxed and happier-is so rewarding.

Good Luck

I have another dog, he just is so attached to myself, and i dont want him to feel anxious or upset :(

Greyhound Gang has articles on dealing with Separation Anxiety. Under LEARN, Medical, Separation Anxiety.

We also offer a natural tincture to help with the feelings of abandonment.

The licking of a specific spot is most likely an outward manifestation of his complusive behavior with you. some lick sofas, beds etc. I'd also try to break that behavior by giving him a bully stick, rawhide, stuffed toy, stuffed kong. Don't let him lick too much as it will turn into a wound, and you'll need Rejuva Spray. :)

Exercising him a lot right before you leave would help too. A tired dog is a good dog.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest ashphobiax

I just came home from the vet, she believes glider does have SA and we are trying alternative ways to help him other than jut putting him straight on medicine.

As for the licking, she said its allergies :( glider has a lot of pink skin which is extra sensitive.

Guest magiknat

Our staffy developed some very serious SA about 3-4 days after we first brought her home :( It was so bad that she was on Valium for two weeks while the Clomicalm kicked in. It got to the point where if my husband and I were on different sides of the same room she would freak out. We've been working on alone training and making us leaving a good thing by providing stimulating treat toys. We're also using positive reinforcement/clicker training and since we started that method about a week ago I can already see an improvement. Our Grey came home with us 2 weeks ago and he has helped her too because he is really chilled out and just relaxes on his bed when we leave. We're hoping that with a bit more alone training and getting into routine we can wean her off the Clomicalm.

I hope you get some ideas to help! I sometimes think stuff like that can be almost as stressful for us owners! Every time I leave the house I am stressing the whole time if she will cope okay.

Guest badderh

My Rocky started having SA about a month after we got him. Since then we have been doing alone training and obedience training and these seem to be the 2 things that have really worked for us. We've had him for almost 6 months now and he still hasn't gotten over it, but is MUCH better. He isn't to a manageable point, where lets say I could go to a movie and not worry about him. But I can at least leave the room, sleep without him in my bed, go do laundry in our basement, check the mail ect... with out him letting out the greyhound screams of death. I did find that a good starting point was to not let him settle down next to me (I kept him like 2 yards away from me and only let him cuddle with me when I invited him to) and when he started getting used to that I then started alone training as well.

We are in the process of fostering another grey soon, in hopes that having a 2nd dog will help out even more. It definitely can be a tough one to push through, but hang in there!

If all else fails we're going to look into medication from the vet for his SA, might be something worth checking out.

• 2 months later...

Here is an alternative to pharm drugs for SA. It's a copy of an email that I shared with a friend, so forgive the way it's written ;)

We have another dog (Jackson) that we rescued... he lived in a shelter for 7 years and we adopted when he was 9... so he came to us with a lot of baggage. We didn’t like what Clomicalm was doing to him after a while (vet prescribed) so we searched out alternatives.

We found L-Theanine.

It worked wonders for our dog and eventually he settled and is now not on it. that took about 2 years through, but Jackson was a special case after spending such a long time in a shelter.

I do think that the Clomicalm worked for Jackson in the beginning because it got him over the hurdle of the new life that he was living and then we changed to L-Theanine which carried him through until he finally settled.

ABOUT L-THEANINE

First here is some background info for you:

http://www.dogsincanada.com/anxitane

We used L-Theanine (L-T) after trying clomicalm- the pharma drug on Jackson because we didn't like how he was "drugged" out on the clomicalm. The L-T worked wonders on Jackson - it didn't sedate him, but simply calmed him down naturally. He wasn't anxious and high strung when he was on this. He stayed on it for about 2 years... every day and stopped about a year and a half ago and he has been super.

PRODUCT INFO:

There is an actual L-T product made by Virbac, called Anxitane. But it costs a fortune and you need a prescription... further in my email, I will tell you about a way cheaper option for the same product.

Here is the link for your information on the product by Virbac:

http://www.virbacvet.com/Products/VirbacAnimalHealthBehavioralHealth/ANXITANEChewableTablets.aspx?webSyncID=0d1e38cd-434b-4111-19eb-572332125e76&sessionGUID=09c5bdde-3783-a7a1-8b54-93ee57db0076

You can get L-theanine from a local health food store for a fraction of the cost of the stuff that you would get from the vet. The brand I got was Natural Factors.

http://naturalfactors.com/ca/en/products/565/l-theanine-125-mg

Jackson is about 60 pounds and we gave him one - 125 mg capsule, twice a day. Just tossed it in his food.

Here is another link for the the generic L-T that you might be able to get in the US.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU110/ItemDetail?SourceCode=INTL078&CAWELAID=129499631

We were able to get ours from our local health / vitamin store in our very small town, so I don't think you should have any trouble finding it where you are. The cost for us was about $20 for 60 capsules - versus the $100 for the ones that you have to get from the vet.

Further:

here are some more about dosage: http://www.schnauzerama.org/anxiety.htm

We gave 125 mg/ twice a day and it was fine for jackson.

Non-herbal alternative treatments

L-theanine - This is a new item to my virtual "arsenal" of SA treatments, but initial results seem very promising! It's given good results with the couple of dogs that have tried it up to this point, and would probably be my first recommendation for a non-veterinary alternative. L-theanine is a free-form amino acid, and is recommended for use in treating anxiety in humans, as well. Most health food stores have the ability to order this, if they don't carry it in stock. Dosage is 100mg for a 50lb dog, once per day, scaled up/down from there.

Hope that helps.