Guest GreytPlains

Guest GreytPlains

Greetings everyone! I am thrilled beyond belief to introduce Rocky, a beautiful, big, shiny black boy who joined our family yesterday. His racing name was Rock A By Montoya and he raced at Bluffs Run in Council Bluffs Iowa until the fall. Thanks to the nice people at Heartland Greyhound Adoption and a great foster Mom, he has found his forever home!!!

We haven't had any problems so far-or nothing you wouldn't expect. He has marked a few times in the house and is concerned about walking on the wood floor in our kitchen. He is hesitant on stairs and pulls on the leash. All will easily be corrected with some fun and gentle training. Already on this morning's walk he was making great progress with the leash and he hasn't marked again today (that we know of).

We have a 7 year old whippet who is mixed with just a little bit of something else (pointer?) and a 3 1/2 year old daughter and Rocky seems great with both, though we are using caution. He is a vel-cro dog to be sure and his tail never stops wagging.

I just tried briefly putting him in his crate and he was whining and slamming at the door after 6 minutes, so we'll have to work on that.

A little about me: past pets have included another whippet besides our current dog, as well as an Italian Greyhound but this is our first time driving the SUV! I have wanted a grey since I was in junior high school and let's just say that was several years ago. We just moved into a larger home with a big fenced yard so we knew it was time.

I am involved with Therapy Dogs, Inc. and hope Rocky will be some day too. I used to be an instructor for the Nebraska Humane Society's Manners "N" more obedience classes, though time no longer permits me to do that. Hopefully this background will help me with Rocky.

We are really enjoying seeing the world through new eyes. He is so intrigued by everything and so incredibly sweet.

Of course, advice, tips, suggestions, etc are very welcome!!! I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out! Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Susan and Rocky

Hi Susan and Rocky.

Welcome aboard.

Rocky sounds like a wonderful hound!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Welcome to GT Susan and Rocky. Your home sounds wonderful.

Ben and Brooke absolutely hated the crate even though they both were kept in them in their foster homes, so they had free run of our home right from the beginning. Others will suggest blocking off safe areas with xpens and baby gates.

Many greys also like to sleep in the same room with you too. You'll get a lot of different perspectives here on GT.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome from Iowa (the other side)! There is at least one other active GT member from eastern Nebraska, Jayne. I know she and Jayne the hound have participated in Meet & Greets at Bluffs Run. I'll message her so she knows about you (you can't message until you have 50 posts). Definitely want to see pictures of Rocky!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome to GT Susan and Rocky! I'm sure you boy is a beauty....pics would be nice, hint, hint.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Congratulations and welcome to GT. Rocky sounds awesome!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Congratulations and welcome to GT! Look forward to pictures of your new boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome from NJ!

our first time driving the SUV!

:lol

Your comment about driving the SUV made me laugh out loud, too! When I got my own apartment after college, my first dog was an italian greyhound. When she passed away, we got a whippet. Our whippet passed away 3 yrs ago and now we have 2 large male greyhounds. So we started off with a mini cooper and ended up with 2 SUV's! :) Rocky sounds great! Congrats and welcome to GT!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Wasserbuffel

Welcome to GT from another HGA adopter! You've found a great community both on here and locally. If nobody has told you yet, there is a local greyhound playgroup at the Humane Society on Sundays in the fenced play yards, muzzles are required. In the summer it's a 6pm and in the winter it's at 1pm. If you're interested, let me know. JoAnne from the humane society runs it. She keeps us updated with e-mails in case it's cancelled.

Guest GreytPlains

th_photo-5.jpgth_photo-1.jpgth_photo-2.jpg

th_photo-3.jpg

th_photo-4.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I finally got a few decent pics-it is hard to photograph your own shadow! Jayne, we'll check out the playgroup once Rocky is settled in.

Currently I am listening to him cry in his crate as we are working on systematic desensitization to being left alone, which he hates. Ugh.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to GT. Rocky is gorgeous.

That's a very nice lawn in the picture. Get a good picture of it now - it's days are numbered with your new SUV. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life