Confused And Concerned - Merlin's Platelets

So I am rather confused and would really appreciate getting other people's input.

Last month I took Merlin to the vet for his annual Lyme/Erlichia/Anaplasmosis and HW test. The test was negative across the board. We got back home at 3.30pm and I left to go back to work. At 5pm DH and I returned to find Merlin standing at the door holding his leg up (same leg where blood was drawn). His leg seemed extremely painful to the touch, he screamed and cried if I even touched it very lightly. Upon closer inspection, it was obvious that there was not just a swelling on the upper part of his leg, but subcutaneous bleeding. He had a sac of fluid just hanging there and was unable to bear any weight on the leg. I called the vet right away and made an appointment for the next morning, and was told to give him some Deramaxx. The meds helped with the pain, and by the next day when I took him in part of the fluid had been reabsorbed by his body, but his leg started to swell up further down, at the joint (no fluid but actual swelling).

The vet took another blood test and declared that his platelets were low and suspected a tick-borne diseases despite the test being negative, so she put him on Doxy. We were there from 1.30 to 4pm and it was hot, the A/C wasn't working well, so both dog were fed up and I was distracted. As a result, I didn't check the platelet levels with her. It was only several days later that I looked at my copy of his test results and and noticed that his platelets were within normal range for a greyhound (141k). So then I started to worry that he was on Doxy unnecessarily, etc. but I know that my vet is grey-savvy so I figured there must have been a reason why she put him on Doxy anyway. I called my vet yesterday and asked her how his platelets compared to previous levels over the past year or so. I just heard back with this information:

July 14, 2010: 232k

April 8, 2011: 239k

May 23, 2012: 191k

June 12, 2012: 141k

That's quite a substantial drop sad-smileys-emoticons266.gif (it also tells me that my vet was right to put him on Doxy.) I am going there this afternoon to pick up some more I/D for him and I will make another appointment to have his blood drawn. I hope the platelets have gone up. I guess that if it was a tick-borne disease and he's been on Doxy, they should be higher...?

I was supposed to go back after a week to have his blood drawn again. I didn't for a number of reasons - including the initial concerns I mentioned above. She had mentioned that if the Doxy didn't help we would need to consider putting him on Prednisone and doing more tests.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on? When Merlin was attacked he developed bruising almost immediately, which the emergency vet was concerned about as it can be a symptom of hemangiosarcoma. The bruising coupled with this sudden weird bleeding worries me. He has been fine since his last visit (he's nearly finished his course of Doxy), but I don't know what's going on and I'm worried.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am not sure if this will help but when Enza's blood test came back as having low platelets, I was told that greyhounds tend to "clump" and they can be harder to count. Once she was retested, they were back up in the "normal for a greyhound range". However, she did not have the other symptoms.

Kerry.....just dropping in to send well-wishes with this. I do believe that some tend to be easier "bruisers" than others, but I agree with you, that the steady decline is a bit worrisome.

Hugs to that beautiful hound.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Nothing to worry about at all in terms of platelets. *Probably* nothing to worry about in terms of the leg either -- tech may have gone straight through the vein, not held pressure long enough, nicked some sensitive interior parts, etc.; not what you want to happen but it does occur sometimes.

Platelet numbers can vary a lot from time to time, and that is normal. As someone else also noted, they can clump, and that affects the count. Usually nobody does a manual count unless the platelets are too low or there are symptoms indicative of a problem.

You would worry if they were below 80,000.

You generally don't see platelet-related bleeding issues until they get down under 50,000.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you so much! :colgate That certainly helps allay my fears!

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Gotta love Batmom!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Gotta love Batmom!

You've got that right! :colgate

Yay Merlin, you keep those toes unfurlin!

Edited by Jenbo

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Batmom to the rescue!

Rocket is sending get well wishes and high-fours (that's a greyhound high-five) to Merlin - even if he does hit on Lexie. Hope he's feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Batmom to the rescue!

Rocket is sending get well wishes and high-fours (that's a greyhound high-five) to Merlin - even if he does hit on Lexie. Hope he's feeling better soon.

:lol :lol :lol The wizard says he has seen the error of his ways and wishes the happy couple much happiness :PBut I wouldn't trust him - he is a wizard after all ;)

Well-seems I'm replying too late! Totally agree with the above responses. Sounds like your hound had a bum blood draw. Also, next time have your vet order a manual platelet count-gh platelets are like teenage girls- love to hang out together (clump)-makes it hard for the automatic CBC reader to count the platelets correctly.

One other thing worthy of mentioning-if your vet truly feels there's a tick borne disease lurking a full panel should be run as the in house snap test only checks for a few.

Edited by tbhounds

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks, I'll ask about a manual count :thumbs-up

Merlin is not on fish oil. Used to be years ago, but not anymore.

I made an appointment for next Wednesday, so I guess I'll update then... very relieved that I don't need to worry though. It's bad enough getting him to eat, I feel constantly deflated where his health is concerned. Every day is a struggle not to worry about him. :(