My Off Leash Greyhound

My Jilly was great offleash too. her recall was spot on. None of teh rest of mine could be trusted off leash. Your picture is beautiful.Areyoucomin.jpg

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

My dogs have good recall also but I don't depend on it. We do work on it every day. Like Rachel I scout the area out first. I never let my dogs off leash if there are other dogs present. Sunrise in the fall is a good time to insure other dogs are not present.

SunriseBeach.jpg

May I ask why both of Hester's hocks are wrapped?

When he runs on the beach he strikes the sand with such violence that he gets abrasions on all the little bumpy spots on his lower hind legs. He is a rather spectacular runner (when he actually chooses to run). Sort of lauches high into the air off his back legs.

Edited by KickReturn

My dogs have good recall also but I don't depend on it. We do work on it every day. Like Rachel I scout the area out first. I never let my dogs off leash if there are other dogs present. Sunrise in the fall is a good time to insure other dogs are not present.

SunriseBeach.jpg

WOW what a stunning picture Nancy!

Guest barkdogs

I walk my greys off leash at my parent's property in Maryland--they would have to run miles before getting into trouble. So far it is the only place available, and since both my parents died within the last 10 months, we will be losing this place soon enough. . . plus it makes me too sad to go there unless I have other people with me.

They have gotten some minor scrapes and once Allistair managed to fracture a metacarpal--but he could have just as easily done that in my fenced vacant lot in Philly--it wasn't anything more then a misplaced foot.

I figure in the big picture, quality of life must be measured against safety. My dogs are all recall trained. I don't let them off leash anywhere that doesn't have a HUGE safety buffer of water, distance from hazards like roads or a fence. The joy they get in running and playing is priceless. The chance of them getting into any real trouble is minimal and it is one of the few times they get to be truly unfettered.

Life has risks. We all have to weigh them, and do our best to use good sense. If I had your beach I'd be running my greys there too! Looks wonderful. Enjoy!

When I first saw the pictures of Hester that you posted in your initial post in Introductions, they really reminded me of my first greyhound, Charlie, whose portrait is my avatar picture to the left. Now that you've posted this picture of Hester with you, I'm reminded of Charlie even more, because he would also walk at my side or a little behind me without any training, just like Hester.

I can't tell you how many photos I have of Charlie like this (lots!) - he'd have his run and then return to my side:

Pa050063-3.jpg

I have to say that the three greyhounds I've owned since Charlie have not been like this, although all have been thoroughly recall trained and all have been off-lead in certain situations; none of them has been quite like Charlie though - he was an exceptional dog and I miss him.

As far as injuries go, Charlie had a few cuts on his feet from running over rough ground in the early days, until I wised up and became more careful about where I allowed him to run. These days I am hyper-careful about where I let my hounds run (as regards surfaces, trees and other objects, barbed wire fences etc), and so far we have not had any injuries at all. The worst injury I've had in 18 years of greyhound ownership was in my own fenced garden when Sunny and Sophie ran head first into each other.

Charlie and I walked many happy miles together for over ten years and I would not have missed a step of the journey.

I wish you and Hester the same.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

May I ask why both of Hester's hocks are wrapped?

When he runs on the beach he strikes the sand with such violence that he gets abrasions on all the little bumpy spots on his lower hind legs. He is a rather spectacular runner (when he actually chooses to run). Sort of lauches high into the air off his back legs.

I had to wrap Jack's legs because when he ran in long grass, his sticky-out dewclaws would catch if I didn't!

SunriseBeach.jpg

That is gorgeous!!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I was a little confused by your comment that you never use the dog's name unless you're calling him--the recall command can be anything you want it to be--and preceeded by the dog's name--but there's no reason not to use the dog's name for other things.

Well, I have witnessed a relative,s dog that hears its name constantly from every member of their family. It seems to me that that name now means nothing to this dog - it is simply constant background noise. I know that in an emergency my first instinct will be to yell Hester's name. I figure that if I only use his name in conjunction with recall and treats, ear scratches, and lots of praise, I will always be able to get his attention. It seems to work. When he hears his name he knows something very good is about to happen if he comes to me. Just my theory anyway. Besides, at home he most often called sweetie, beautiful boy, or little boy.

To see those hounds strolling on those goregous beaches makes my heart sing. Yet each one is it's own dog in terms of recall and prey drive.

I think you just have to know your individual dogs really well.