Bringing In A New Hound

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Hi everyone! My husband and I just adopted our first, a 18 month old brindle female last week. She has been a dream. No accidents, no separation anxiety, no chewing, just perfect. We would love another. We did take a rather shy female home from the adoption group on Tuesday, hoping she would be a good match, but there was instant aggression on the part of the new shy female. It was amazing, she turned into a totally different dog in our house around our female, even though they had met and spent a little time together at the kennel. I hated to do it, but the adoption group suggested I bring her back. Now we are hoping to bring home a 18 month old boy. My husband walked him today and thinks he is great. We are hoping to bring our female to visit with him on Saturday and possibly bring him home. I really hope it works out.

Do males and females always get along? Can there still be aggression and competition? Any suggestions for a smooth transition?

Also, my husband said that this male sprayed a chair in the hallway of the adoption group on his way outside to be walked. I'm hoping this isn't an indication that he might do that in the house...maybe I'm being a little neurotic...but I am just a little shell shocked from the experience of bring home the second dog and I so want to pick out the right pup this time...

Thanks for any feedback...

Denise

I have had 4 females at a time with no issues and right now I have 6 males and two females. It totally depends on the dog to tell you the truth. Ask your group to help you pick out a dog that will compliment your first. All dogs can mark, some do and some don't. A couple of my boys came into the house and immediately hiked their leg on a piece of my furniture. A good cleaning and watching them carefully while house training them will help. It's not just males either, some females will also mark when entering the house.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

One of my boys hiked a leg in the meet&greet room which made me a little nervous. He then hiked a leg on my couch after being home about 30 sec. Gave him a quick "no" and rushed him outside and he's never done it again. Mine have all been super easy to housebreak. It you are adopting from a kennel, the dogs probably haven't had any true housebreaking training yet. I wouldn't worry.

I would think most of the times if they seem to get along at the kennel they would get along in your home. You may have just gotten unlucky. When you bring the new one home to meet your girl, take them on a walk together before you bring them in the house. This has always worked for us. I don't buy too much into the importance of opposite sexes getting along better, because I haven't noticed a difference. I think it's more the individual dog personality.

Good luck in finding the perfect friend for your pupper!

I

siggy2.jpg

I would keep both with muzzles on for a few days. I would also watch them very carefully. I have had 2 males and 1 female at the same time. I am now down to 1 male and 1 female. Da Vid (my first dog) bit the crap out of both of the other ones. Huck had to have stitches and a drain. I did not know how bad it was when he bit Lady, but should have carried her to vet. He tried to tell me he wanted to be the only dog, but I would not listen..LOL

It really does depend on the dog. We have had many foster dogs, and for the most part they have been females. Our boy has gotten along with all of them except two. One was a submissive male that for some reason Seamus didn't like, and the other was a very sweet and seemingly submissive 2 year old female who had it out for him from day one (he was seven at the time). She kept attacking Seamus in a way that was difficult to make sense of and created too much stress, so she was placed a different foster home.

I do muzzle them for the first day or two until I feel comfortable with their dynamic, and when the new dog first arrives, I always have them meet outside in front of the house and go for a short walk. It may be magical thinking to believe that makes a difference, but we do it every time. And I do think that the more they can walk together the better.

I have always been amazed at how Greyhounds tend to get along with each other so effortlessly, but dogs are going to like who they like the same as people do.

S.jpg