Newbie!

Guest Lady_Catherine

Guest Lady_Catherine

Hi, I'm Catherine, and I found this board while looking up information about greyhounds!

We have had Bessie the Greyhound for about a month now. We are her third home. Her first home was the track, although an injury stopped her racing career before it started. Her next home was in the country, where she was kept mostly outside. When we got her, she was covered in scabs from the fence/other dog chewing on her, ears covered in sores from flies chewing on her, and underweight. She also had hookworms, which we are still working on. Since she's come to us, she has gained weight, her coat looks better, and the scabs have cleared up! We are also getting her spayed (today, in fact!)

We have a dachshund spaniel named Sarah who has taken to the new dog. Bessie is a happy dog who likes Sarah and ignores our guinea pig. My husband and I are so happy to have her, and I'm glad I found this board. Great information! :)

552917_10100130846779222_2087262675_n.jpg

Guest Lady_Catherine

I am not sure what her racing name was! :) I am not even sure if she had one, since she never actually raced. She injured her foot before she had her first race. I will post more pictures for sure. I am anxious about the spay, but I'm always anxious when one of my dogs has to be put under for anything. Eeep!

Edited by Lady_Catherine

Guest Lady_Catherine

She does have ear tattoos! I'll take a look when she gets back from the vet. It would be cool to know her racing name.

Here's another picture, just because! I don't think she was too impressed with the hat. (It came in the random bag 'o stuff that the past owner gave us!)

282282_10100129057105742_1681892113_n.jpg

Edited by Lady_Catherine

Plus even if she wasn't individually registered you can know what litter she was from, and who her ancestors are -- it's so fun to meet relatives online, note family resemblances, etc.! (My friend has a hound who never formally trained and has tats but isn't listed -- but we know what litter she is is from.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Congrats! I hope all goes well today. It is scary when they are put under. Let us know when you hear everything is okay. :)

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Welcome to GT! Your girl is beautiful and what a sweet picture of your two babies!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Welcome and thanks for sharing pics of beautiful Bessie. What a compassionate act of kindness to take her in and heal her sores and other ailments.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Lady_Catherine

Just updating- she's recovering from her spay nicely. She was SHAKING when I went to get her, poor thing! Her incision seems to be doing well, and she's not licking it or anything like that. I am ready for it to be healed so she can go zoom again!

Welcome to GT! Your girl is beautiful and lucky to have landed in your home. Glad her spay was uneventful. Look forward to more pictures and stories about her.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

She is a real cutie and so very lucky to have found someone to cherish her as all Greyhounds should be!! Congrats and hope to see more pictures of her.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Lady_Catherine

GreytPlains, I'm glad to have another new person to learn with. :)

Here's another pic, just because...

557171_10100143271764452_1735761650_n.jpg

Guest Lady_Catherine

Poor Bessie decided to chew up her spay incision last night. It woke my husband at 2 AM. It's oozing, so we're heading to the vet this morning. She was doing so well!

In the meantime, I have placed her in the cone of shame. I feel slightly bad for laughing at the poor thing- she's so confused and she keeps giving me "why, Mom, WHY?" looks, which are cute/pathetic/funny. I'm hoping the ooze is not too bad of a sign- it's mostly clear.

Here's a pic of poor Bessie in her cone. We found it on our basement last year. The previous owners left it behind.

483375_10100143729087972_1740661902_n.jpg

532297_10100143735560002_419169168_n.jpg

Edited by Lady_Catherine

Guest Lady_Catherine

Update: They just glued it back together. If it comes open again, they will restitch it. She has a cone of shame for the rest of the healing process, poor doggy!

My vet said that they have another family with 8 greyhounds...anybody here from Wichita using Caring Hearts vet? I'd love to hear about your greys!

If you don't have one you should invest in a greyhound kennel muzzle and a stool guard (or just put some duct tape over the end) -- it is an eaiser way to keep her from licking sutures, and generally more comfortable for a greyhound than a cone. They fuss a bit at first but if she was a racer she's used to it. You'll need a muzzle too if you ever want to take her to a greyhound play group, for instance. They are quite inexpensive and easy to get online.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad