Any Recent Cgc Achievements?

Our local hospital has an individual program for pet therapy called Caring Canines. It requires the dog to either have had a 6 week obedience course (with certificate of completion) or a CGC certification. Fritz has never taken obedience classes as he's always just been a very well behaved dog. I'd REALLY like to do this with him, but, I want to get more info about CGC. I've read the website, etc., but I want to hear from greyhound people. Did your dog sit for it, or did your evaluator allow the dog to lay down in place of sitting?

I ask because Fritz WILL NOT SIT. He does other tricks, but he will not sit. I have tried every single training trick in the book for sitting - folding, backing him into a corner, taking him on a hillside, holding a treat above his head, trying to capture the behavior...none of it works. Everything else he knows how to do, he does because I captured it. I cannot capture a sit because he never sits, not even sideways on his way to laying down. If he is going to lay down, he bows first, then puts his butt down. When he stands up, he brings his butt up first and then his front half. It was very easy to teach him to "take a bow" because he does this when he's excited. He will lay down because I will ask him to bow and then put his behind down.

Anytime I've tried to work on sit with him, it becomes a scary thing for him in a way. He's not having fun, and I feel that training should be a fun activity for both owner and dog...it's not fun for either of us. After I tried with him on several different occasions, he started to not even want to come with me when it was time to work on training. :(

A friend from far away who is a CGC evaluator told me that she was told not to make allowances for greyhounds anymore and I'm wondering how many evaluators are taking that to heart.

It would just be a shame...there are a few of you here who know Fritz personally...he is an amazing dog and would make a GREAT therapy pup. He is bomb-proof, super friendly, and very well mannered. He will literally just stand there and let you pet him. He loves attention and is SO tolerant (as in, autistic child was pulling really hard on his ear and he didn't even flinch kind of tolerant).

I know that he would sail through all of the other aspects of the CGC test with no problems...it's just the sitting that gets us. So, I'm looking to hear your experiences.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Gus tested and passed both his CgC and his TDI Therapy dog certifications in October. He sat for both tests ( yes- with 3 legs). While it was required for the CgC for him to sit, the TDI certification allows a greyhound to sit or lay on command.

If you can not pass the requirements for this Hospital, why not try to go with getting your certification through TDI? - you can get your certification with them without the sit.

Most facilities will welcome dogs with TDI certifications, and I am sure you can find many other places that will want you to visit them too, when they know your dog is certified and insured through TDI. There is a bit more training to pass it, Fritz will need to be comfortable working around medical equipment, and you need to install a good "leave it" command. So he will not pick up any food or medications that may be dropped on a floor of a facility. But most of the TDI test mirrors the same things as the CgC.

If you go on the Therapy Dog International's website, they outline the testing requirements. I wouldn't let the fact that Fritz can not sit stop you from doing therapy dog work with him. Get him out there and share a little greyhound love! :beatheart

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

You know...the brochure states that he'd also need to be briefly evaluated by their TDI people and would require us to certify annually with TDI...I really don't see why a TDI certification wouldn't be acceptable. I'll call the woman for more information, but I just wanted to have my ducks in a row first.

Fritz has no issues with medical equipment-we have family friends who basically had a hospital room in their home and he visited frequently. He's also not wired to pick up things that are dropped either...nor will he pick up food unless it's offered to him. And even then, sometimes he won't take it :lol...depends on what it is. He generally won't eat something unless it's offered to him with a fork or spoon :lol Mandarin oranges are his favorite :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

St John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program does not require a dog to sit.

They may just stand quietly at the handlers side.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest GreytPlains

The Therapy Dogs, Inc. test also does not require the dogs to sit. I have been involved with them for a long time and we're had many wonderful greys as members. Good luck!

Just did some research on Therapy Dogs, Inc...I am going to call the woman that coordinates this program with the hospital and just see if I can have him evaluated by either one of their Therapy Dogs, Inc. people or by another evaluator in my area (and go through the three required observations), and forego the obedience certificate/CGC...I understand that there are requirements for a reason, but, it just seems silly for me to have to pay a boatload of cash for him to go to an obedience class that is also going to try to force him to sit when he perfectly meets every other requirement. I just read the Therapy Dogs, Inc. evaluation form - none of those items on the evaluation list have ever been, or will ever be, difficult for him to achieve. The items basically describe him exactly how he is naturally, with no training whatsoever. Add in the fun of him being able to take a bow (which everyone thinks is so very charming :wub:) and I can't see how it'd be an issue at all.

Guest GreytPlains

What I really like about the Therapy Dogs, Inc. test is that it measures what really needs to be measured-whether or not the dog is totally under your control and likes attention from friendly people. Never once in a therapy visit have I been in a situation where having a dog that could not sit would be a problem. And the greys in our group are so wonderful-calm, loving, and just the right height to reach beds and wheelchairs!

Once Rocky has been with us for a few more weeks, we'll try to get him registered too! Good luck!!!