Eating Grass

Guest Blossie

Guest Blossie

Blossie has been eating a lot of grass lately, even on a walk this morning! Not sure what's going on with him. He didn't want his regular dry food this morning, so my husband gave him some chicken we had in the fridge. He ate that. But this grass eating has been going on for about 3 days and is getting worse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

He could have an upset stomach. I don't let mine eat grass because you never know what's been sprayed on grass. You could try giving him a pepcid about a half an hour before his meals and see if that helps.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If Blossie is pooping, is it normal?

You're going to get a broad range of answers. I have a grazer and she's been a grazer for her entire retirement. I'm careful about where she grazes and for some, grazing is just what they do.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My girl started eating grass on and off on her first morning P&P (at 6 AM, give or take) about a month ago. It's grass in my back yard so I know it's safe. Sometimes she eats 3 blades and that's it. Sometimes she eats enough to vomit it back up with bile. She might go 3 days and not touch it and then she might chomp every morning 3 days in a row. Feeding her supper an hour later in the evening *and* then giving her a biscuit about 11 PM didn't change whether she ate grass or not. I just figure it's "one of those things." Maybe it's summer time. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the sun rising early in the morning. She's fine in every other respect. She's peeing & pooing & eating well. I'm not worried.

Edited by Feisty49

All of mine eat grass occasionally, but I only allow them to eat our grass, which I know hasn't been sprayed. No grazing on walks :) If he is eating, pooping, and peeing normally and not throwing up I wouldn't worry. If anything of those is off, I'd probably take him in for a check up.

Poodle has always been a grazer, even when he is not sick to his stomach. He only grazes in our yard by his choice.

If he wanted to graze on walks I'd probably let him with the exception of the lawn of one lady whos husband left her very well provided for. The rest of my neighbors barely mow their lawns, much less treat them with anything. A couple of them spend their days mowing other peoples lawns and their lawns look just like the rest of us - talk about the shoemakers children going barefoot. :lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My first hound Katie Z was a grazer and then after a little while she would throw it back up. And my current hounds to like to eat grass. Angel has eaten grass since day when from when she came into our adoption program 6 and a half years ago.And 6 years later she still eats grass. She doesn't throw it up though. Fast like to graze on grass from time to time. But he's not as bad as Angel is.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest peacehound

oh my Peace likes to graze so much we call her cow girl at times...she doesn't throw it up and it doesnt effect her pottying.....we just thought she must like a bit of salad in the mornings before breakfast...funny dogs

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Miri has always been a grazer and has never vomited it up. And even better, I don't have to pull it out of her butt like I do sometimes with Mojo. But lately she has been on an off and on hunger strike and the other day I came home to two piles of grass on the livingroom rug. Poor thing had an empty tummy and the grass didn't fill it up. Boy, does that stuff stain a rug!