Right Front Paw Is Cut Up

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

It seems every time Buddy runs outside he comes home with a minor cut or scrape :(

This weekend he cut is right front toe pad.... It looks like a layer of the pad is peeled off! It's the area closest to the toe nail. It is red, but not bleeding. He is walking very gingerly/slowly.

He is licking it, so we have put on his bootie (he has a corn on his rear paw that bothers him from time to time) to keep it covered.

Any other tips to help this heal? We haven't gone to the vet yet. We are headed out of town this weekend in an area with lotsmofmtrails, hoping to go on lots of walks; I don't want Buddy to miss out!

Poor Buddy!

If he'll tolerate the boot, that might be the best way to go. It will heal on it's own in time. Rub some Bag Balm on it a couple times a day when he'll be laying down for a while. You can cover it with a baby sock (and use one inside the boot for extra padding). If you want to protect it you can also try spraying or dabbing on some Liquid Bandage or New Skin. This might sting if the wound is still raw and open.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest iLoveLucie

Thanks Chris! To say he tolerates the bootie is a little generous :)

He is ok when laying down and it keeps him from licking, but when he stands up he manages to kick it off with a quick shake or as he is nesting. I think the bootie is designed for his back paw so it doesn't want to stay on the front one. The baby sock might be helpful!

Yes...toddler socks are perfect for Greyhound feet.

You can put some tape around the top to keep it firmly in place.

Nixon wore one a couple of yers ago when he ripped off most of his toenail.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I like to use those Velcro strips that keep chords together. Wrap it around the sock then roll excess sock to cover the strip

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08