Licking Floor

Guest Beernardo

Guest Beernardo

I've caught my recently adopted greyhound licking the floor like once every two days (Concrete and Laminated), is this normal behavior or it means something?

My boy licks our hardwood floor - he hangs his head off his bed and just licks. It's really odd! We don't wash the floor (sweep and swiffer) so it's not cleaning products, at least in our case. Maybe it's just the coolness of it? It's been reaching 104 here during the day and he usually only does it after we go on walks - I give him water, but he still licks the floor.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Can't offer anything here. Our Alex sometimes does the same thing with the tile floor, the edge of his donut bed, and last evening it was the living room rug.

He licks it slowly and methodically like he is in a trance. :youcrazy

What's up with that?

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Harold is my only carpet licker. Since there's no food spills where he licks I presume he licks because his tongue itches.

Otherwise, Beernardo, I have no clue. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Beernardo

I clean te floor with Alex cleaner, but I don't think that is what motivates him since he also likes to lick the concrete floor, which most of the time we don't use any products. I think it's more related with boredom or just looking for something to do. None doesn't knows how to play yet, he has like 6 toys very close to his bed and he's not interested in them at all.

Guest zombrie

It's a self-calming thing, like thumb-sucking, I think.

Yup :) My golden is obsessed with licking (himself, beds, floors, etc.) He will put himself in a daze doing this

Maddie licks the wall near her bed in the living room, no idea why but it is funny to watch her do it. She also gives herself a bath by licking herself.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Lady Chauncey likes the couch and the area rug when she does this she looks like she is in a trance, I figure she isn't hurting anything and it isn't hurting her so I let her be.

Guest badderh

Rocky licks our couch, our bed, his bed, our wood floors, our carpet. It still puzzles me, but I've never thought anything of it. My mom and dad's Sheltie used to lick the floor for no reason too.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I had a Golden who had to wear a cone if I wasn't home (not often, luckily, she went most everywhere with me) or else she'd lick her paw until it bled. She knew not to do it in front of me, or I'd scold her. I think it's a stress relief behavior in that type of case. My super senior Whippet does lick the rug or wall sometimes, and he's definitely not stressed when he does it. I think he's just weird LOL (he almost never licks himself).

Couch, floors, walls, furniture. My vet says it is a calming action. My walker (before I had to start muzzling her) said she would come in and find her just licking the floor is a blissed out state. I had to start muzzling her when she was licking 3 x 6 x 2 holes in my plaster walls and the finish off my art deco furniture. She will still lick when I am home and she is unmuzzled but she will stop after a couple of sharp "NO!!!!" commands.

Guest poofmagk

Zaf licks the carpet, wall, furniture, and the inside of her crate (with the crate door open). One day she made us laugh because she was slowly walking through our living room by the bookshelves and paused to lick each one of the books, games, photo albums, or baskets she passed. Oliver just licks himself :).

Edited by poofmagk

For the first few days after we brought him home, our boy, Elliott, licked the wall next to his bed (which is in our bedroom)at night. We figured it was a stress release, and since it stopped after a short period, we forgot about it until about a year later, we brought home our girl, Lea ... we are her second home, and when we first got her she was extremely shy, nervous and easily scared. She also licked everything - herself, her beds, the hardwood floor, the metal legs of my husband's office chair. The more "at home" she feels with us, the more she can depend on her routine, the less she licks, although we still catch her at it now and again. She has never licked herself raw, and the activity seems to calm her, so we just don't make a big deal out of it - the behavior seems to be lessening as time goes by.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

It's a dog thing. We wouldn't understand. :gmark

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beernardo

Ok, I just cleaned the floor with "Alex" cleaner right in front of Stannis and when I went to put back the cleaner I come back and find him wetting his head on the floor I just cleaned, I said NO, he laid on his bed and proceeded to lick that same area, I got a little concerned about him digesting the cleaning liquid and said NO to him again. Does anybody knows of a cleaner safe for them? he still has bad breath from the tracks and the floor gets stinky from all of the drooling.

I know he has a bald patch on his right wrist (is it a wrist?) His vet, which is the same he works with the galgos at the racetrack, told me it could be that he licks himself out anxiety for being in the crate.

We've had him for about a month now, so he's still new at our home, let's see if he stops doing it.