Hello From Potential New Grey Adopter

Guest Patton

Guest Patton

Have been working in the pet industry since I was 17, now 57. Started in vet clinic to animal control to shelter manager to pet groomer which has given me more pleasure to serve pets than I could ever have imagined as a youngster.

My family owned a greyhound (adopted from Laguna Beach Shelter) when I was a child. Blue was a FABULOUS dog in my memory and the time has come in my life where I'm starting to consider my next adoption. Am currently owned by a Boston and Frenchie, both rescues (from my vet and Retrievers and Friends in SoCA). I relocated to FL just over 2 years ago when my mom passed away and have become very aware of the extreme number of greys available in this state and am leaning strongly toward adopting one as our next family member. I've always been a fan of sighthounds and as I get older the low maintenance coats on any breed is more my style nowadays.

Just signed up here so that I can do some more research into this breed. Teeth maintenance, health issues more likely to face with greys, diet, etc. Will use search function a lot and if specific questions come up I'll be sure to ask.

Going to take it slow, there is a rescue fairly near me that has over 200 greys available at almost any given time as per their listings on Petfinder. Sigh........ am pretty certain that there's going to be at least one that will fit into our home!

Welcome and good luck! What's the greyhound group with the big kennel and 200 dogs? I'd love to spend time trolling through that! We only have one adoption group up here who uses kennels vs fostering and they have nowhere near that number.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Patton

Welcome and good luck! What's the greyhound group with the big kennel and 200 dogs? I'd love to spend time trolling through that! We only have one adoption group up here who uses kennels vs fostering and they have nowhere near that number.

Greyhound Pets of America Daytona chapter is the group I've been watching on Petfinder. They're real good about keeping current dogs available listed on Petfinder. I have been haunting their web site........ next step is to go down and meet some of their dogs in person, really looking forward to that:)

Good Luck in your adventure of finding a Grey for your home. My husband and I are currently doing the same. We will be first time Grey parents. By they way.....so jealous of where you live! I spent 4 days last year in St. Augustine and fell in love! The Spanish Moss in the trees are beautiful and the people are amazing! Love the town!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Patton

gap@jaxkennel.com in Orange Park (Jacksonville) is where 2 of mine came from. Great group. Shirley and Cathy will be very glad to help you!

Well dang!! I missed your post originally...... as it turns out this looks like it is going to be the adoption group for me. I'm heading up there tomorrow evening for first meeting and to talk with volunteers. I'm a tad bit nervous and excited all at the same time, looking forward to it so much.

Good Luck in your adventure of finding a Grey for your home. My husband and I are currently doing the same. We will be first time Grey parents. By they way.....so jealous of where you live! I spent 4 days last year in St. Augustine and fell in love! The Spanish Moss in the trees are beautiful and the people are amazing! Love the town!!

Thanks Fluffy! We moved to St. Aug just over 2 years ago after my mom passed, my dad is nearing 90 and retired out here 35 years ago and I knew there was no way to talk him into moving back to CA where we were raised, I really wanted to be near enough to him to help as needed. He's in great shape considering and it's been a pleasure mostly. I do have to say that I'm in love with how green it is here nearly year round with great trees. The native species of birds and other wildlife really makes my heart sing too. It's pretty darn flat here though, been hard for me to get used to.

The people here have been great too and starting a brand new business from scratch was scary but we've been welcomed and very very happy with our new choice! Had a grooming shop for more years than I should admit too in CA...... now we're mobile and if I'd have known how much we were going to enjoy this I probably would have gone mobile many years ago:)