If You Can Spare A Good Thought For Nube.it's Osteo.xrays

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. It's just so unfair.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Now that I can see the x-rays, I can't say much. I can't enlarge the images at all so it's really tough to see. It's certainly not as obvious as I would have expected at the current size. Hoping that means I'm wrong about November and you've caught it early and/or it's very slow growing. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just sending hugs to you and your beautiful boy. Hope the pain meds make him feel better pronto.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry it's Osteo .... Damn cancer. We will keep Nube in our prayers.

I was reading somewhere that there is some sort of an exciting new vaccine that has been developed for Osteo, that they are giving to the hounds once they are confirmed with it.

I found it - University of PA: Here is the link to the article:

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/FacultyandDepartments/Pathobiology/ClinicalTrialsinPathobiology/CancerVaccineforDogswithOsteosarcoma/tabid/2345/Default.aspx

I don't know if OSU is participating in this study, or if they a similar one going on for you, so I am passing it on for what it is worth.

Sending hugs across the miles to you! :grouphug

& Nube :gh_child:beatheart

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I don't see much in the x-rays either but I'm not a Radiologist nor Vet. I did see Charlie's x-rays and his was a very small section of his upper tibia that had a tiny chunk of bone 'missing'. It looked like something had taken a bite out of his bone and there was no classic 'moth-eaten' nor starburst pattern that I believe is more common. Regardless, I am so very sorry and hope you have caught it in time that you have many months with your boy. There are some good stories out there, FedX for example who keeps trucking along at 15mths or so and Jen did a great job for Neyla who had a good 6 mths I believe.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry, cancer is so evil, hoping you have more time to love on Nube :bighug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Nube is still much worse after getting the x-rays done, they must really have beaten him up. I'm hoping he'll at least get back to the "bad" he was prior but so far he hasn't.

I have a call in to the vet to find out if/when we can get his chest x-rayed, as that may give us an idea of whether or not treatment of either chemo and/or radiation is even warranted. :( I'm hoping he can get him in today or this weekend.

His Aunt Susan and sister Noelle (RJ's Noel, Nube's real sister) are coming down from WI tomorrow to see him, we will keep him calm and I'm sure he will be happy to see them. He seems VERY depressed and in a lot of pain (especially the last hour or so before his next dose of Tramadol) but maybe I'm just paranoid. I will discuss with the Dr. about additional meds to help relieve the pain (thanks for the Gabepetin suggestion, I know it used sometimes as a seizure medicine from everything with Rainey :().

thanks again for all the prayers, hugs and good thoughts. Nube -- and US -- really appreciate them!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Poor guy, I hope you can get him some more pain medication so he's at least comfortable. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am sorry if this comes across as too blunt:

My Joe developed a second primary tumor 18 months after his amputation. Dr. Couto told me that it didn't really matter about lung mets at this point. He said that in a dog that doesn't undergo amputation to remove the tumor, almost always the pain from the tumor will cause the dog to be euthanized well before lung mets become a problem. Thus he will recommend radiation, chemo etc. even if a dog has lung mets. However, if a dog has lung mets, he only occasionally recommends amputation.

Jane

I am sorry if this comes across as too blunt:

My Joe developed a second primary tumor 18 months after his amputation. Dr. Couto told me that it didn't really matter about lung mets at this point. He said that in a dog that doesn't undergo amputation to remove the tumor, almost always the pain from the tumor will cause the dog to be euthanized well before lung mets become a problem. Thus he will recommend radiation, chemo etc. even if a dog has lung mets. However, if a dog has lung mets, he only occasionally recommends amputation.

Jane

I appreciate blunt, no reason to candy coat anything at this point :(

thanks for the info, you can see how uninformed I am with this! I wish Nube was a candidate for amputation. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Since we're being blunt ;) it really sounds like from your description you need to up his meds, possibly substantially asap. I got especially concerned when you said you're hoping to get back to "bad". :(

Can you share what meds you have him on and at what doses? You'll definitely want to get Gabapentin on board as soon as you can as well and you may be able to back down off the other meds once you do, but until that, please consider increasing his Tramadol and NSAID. If you post your dosages, we can help advise. I would of course recommend you discuss it with your vet, but given that it's Friday evening...

Hugs, I know how tough this is.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest patterpaws

Been thinking about you and Nube a lot.

Wondering if it is feasible to up the dose of Tramadol (give a pill earlier than the scheduled time) if he seems to be in too much pain?

Wish I could do more for you guys. Thinking of you!!!

:( This so sucks. ***HUGS*** I would definitely up the medicine. Poor Nube, *hugs to him as well* I hate this disease. I think the only way I get through my day sometimes is denying that Macho's tumor really is cancer so that I can function. Such a cruel thing to go through. I am hoping you get to control the pain and get many many more days with him.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I agree that if amputation is not an option, whether or not there are lung mets isn't a huge consideration from a medical standpoint. Where it might make a difference is if it changes your perspective. Chemo may help slow down the disease process even in the presence of lung mets, and I believe some oncologists are even trying Palladia after the discovery of lung mets. Radiation for osteosarcoma is mostly just for pain relief.

He said that in a dog that doesn't undergo amputation to remove the tumor, almost always the pain from the tumor will cause the dog to be euthanized well before lung mets become a problem.

This is definitely true, although I do know of an an exception that justifies the "almost always". I have a friend who chose not to amputate, and did palliative care and pain management with a combo of traditional meds, pamidronate, herbal and homeopathic remedies. Her greyhound did well for almost a year before she had to have him euthanized due to lung mets.

I got especially concerned when you said you're hoping to get back to "bad".

I would echo the sentiments of others who have urged being more aggressive with pain medications. Regardless of whether you choose to do anything else, pain medication is essential, and with the drugs we have available these days, you should be able to achieve much better results than "bad". If not, it may be time to consider letting go...

Sending good thoughts that you're able to a lot more quality time with Nube. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg