If You Can Spare A Good Thought For Nube.it's Osteo.xrays

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read this update. Sending hugs to all of you.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

My heart breaks for you. I just lost Dante to that two weeks ago.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest hlpnhounds

Kim & Bruce

Just read the news. Sorry it wasnt' better news. Not an easy diagnosis. I'll be thinking about you all.

I'm so sorry.

Hugs to Nube and the entire family.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

kim - i'm so sorry to see the latest update - my heart is with you - just lost my heart boy win 2 weeks ago to osteo. no advice, just put one foot in front of the other till you can do any better that.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Kim & Bruce,

May the days to come be filled with the best memories yet. Jen and I are here for you two should you need anything, just call - 272-8178

Chad

I can't thank everyone enough for all the kind words and prayers. I don't know what we'd do without such a great group of folks that are so supportive. :)

Got the OSU consult back :( Dr. Kellogg agreed it is osteo. We are going to consult with the oncology team at the VCA and see if we have any options regarding chemo or radiation, but my vet said that almost every time they will not do chemo without first doing a bone biopsy (so they can target the chemo better once they know what kind of cancer it is) and we do not want to put him through the pain (and risk) of that....but we'll see what they say. In the meantime, I just ordered Artemisinin and will be going to a low-carb home cooked diet (guess all that time I spent in Culinary school will finally pay off :sad1) and will try to manage the pain with Tramadol and Rimadyl. He's REALLY bad today, can hardly walk but we're hoping it will get better in a couple days since it's most likely from the manipulation they had to do for the x-rays.

the suspicious area is supposed to be naer the proximal humerous (top of the bone where it goes into the shoulder) in the right leg, but I sure can't see anything. Here are his x-rays if someone can help? (I feel like Rachael in Friends where she can't see her baby in the ultrasound :()....

view of right leg (affected):

0ANUBIS.jpg

same view of left:

1ANUBIS.jpg

another view of right leg, farther down:

2ANUBIS.jpg

same of left:

3ANUBIS.jpg

and finally the 2 together (on his belly):

4ANUBIS.jpg

again, thanks so much for the kind words. I don't know how much time my sweet boy has but you can be sure he will be even more spoiled and loved than he already was :sad1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry. :(

I can't see photos at work, but will look at the x-rays tonight from home. If you've been seeing a limp since at least last November though and are seeing swelling, I'm guessing this has been going on for some time. :(

FYI, they should certainly provide any treatments you need, including chemo, without a bone biopsy. Any vet/oncologist who knows anything should know that a biopsy runs the risk of causing a fracture. Radiographs are typically sufficient for dx, although you could try doing an FNA if you want. Issue with those is they don't always give definitive results. Honestly though, if you've got 2 separate dx based on x-rays including OSU's saying it's osteo, I wouldn't second guess the dx. The unfortunate truth is that this presented like osteo and is the most logical dx for a greyhound with his age and pain and swelling in that region. :(

Hang in there. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry. :(

I can't see photos at work, but will look at the x-rays tonight from home. If you've been seeing a limp since at least last November though and are seeing swelling, I'm guessing this has been going on for some time. :(

FYI, they should certainly provide any treatments you need, including chemo, without a bone biopsy. Any vet/oncologist who knows anything should know that a biopsy runs the risk of causing a fracture. Radiographs are typically sufficient for dx, although you could try doing an FNA if you want. Issue with those is they don't always give definitive results. Honestly though, if you've got 2 separate dx based on x-rays including OSU's saying it's osteo, I wouldn't second guess the dx. The unfortunate truth is that this presented like osteo and is the most logical dx for a greyhound with his age and pain and swelling in that region. :(

Hang in there. :grouphug

Exactly. OSU should be able to recommend a chemo protocol for you.

Jane

Guest patterpaws

I am so very sorry. Poor Anubis. Nube and Tristan are warriors together in this. I wish I was there to give you and Anubis a hug. This is rotten to the core. :grouphug:headwall:sad1:(:weep :weep :weep :weep :weep

Edited by patterpaws