If You Can Spare A Good Thought For Nube.it's Osteo.xrays

Nube's doing ok! Hanging in there (knock on wood!). Seems to be tolerating the new med (Palladia) so far (well, he's only gotten one dose). Drove to the park and he got to walk a bit, but the damn FLIES got so bad at like 7:15pm -- biting and just swarming them! so had to cut the walk short. NOT what Larry needed either.

Nube actually roached twice on the Slumberball this morning :yay got some good belly scritchies as a reward :)

we go back on the 11th for another recheck. I don't know if they can take another x-ray without having to sedate him, I'd like to see if there's been any changes. He still limps but not nearly as bad as before the treatments.

his sister Noelle (and 1/2 bro Oscar) and Aunt Susan came down from Madision WI on Saturday and stayed overnight, the boyz seemed to enjoy having them here :) we took all 4 of them with to Lynfred Winery and did (another, this is our THIRD ONE since it's the only thing Bruce and I can do together since we can bring Nube with :lol) a tasting, they seemed to enjoy that very much too.

I sure hope Nube turns out to be one of the "miracle" osteo pups that lives a LOT longer than expected :hope

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!!!! I love happy news! I hope he is around and happy and silly for a long time too! Keep it up Nube!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest undergreysspell

Great update, Go Nube. I had to make a little peanut butter ball. If you put the pb in the fridge or freezer to get hard its pretty easy. Then just make a little hole and put the tramadol inside. fill up the hole with more peanut butter. the tramadol must be covered completely or they'll know its there, and freeze it for a few minutes into a little hard ball. Mine just gobbled it up. Nothing else would mask the nasty taste.

Great to hear Nube is doing well!!! That is really good news.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I've been thinking about Nube. So glad he is holding his own. Still saying prayers.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Continued good thoughts for Nube.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

well I guess I jinxed him some by posting the good update on Monday :(

he's limping worse again, just started yesterday. :( not horrible like before, but markedly more than even just Monday. I had hoped yesterday it was from the busy weekend and the (very) short drive/walk at the park on Monday evening...but it's still bad today. I've upped his Tramadol from 3 to 4 50mg pills, 3 x day.

we started the Palladia on Monday, and yesterday evening he stopped eating after just eating a little and didn't want to fininsh :( he's NEVER not eaten everything (and more). I had been putting flax pills (like fish oil capsules) in this breakfast and dinner, and last night (and this happened once before but he kept eating) he bit into and then didn't want anymore, so we thought it was from the taste of the pill. Today's lunch, however, has no flax and he stopped eating again -- even walked away. He did (thankfully) go back after about 2 minutes and ate most of it. I don't know if the Palladia now is causing nausea or what. He's been on the chemo for almost 3 weeks, so I would have thought if it was the Cytoxan it would have happened before this....the Palladia is the only thing new, this is his 2nd dose. He gets a 20mg Pepcid every morning at 5:30am with breakfast. I would think if it was really nausea he wouldn't have eaten even a bite. ? :dunno He's also been a lot more restless, like before, when he was in more pain. He is snoozing quietly now though (knock on wood).

if he ever refuses a meal entirely, that's the end of the chemo. My guy doesn't have a whole lot that he loves left (no walkies, no stuffies, no running in the yard) and food is/has always been his biggest joy and I do not want to take that away from him too. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing.

he did do a hugely funny thing this morning, though -- we were outside to pee and he wanted to go to the bed on the patio (he likes to lay down for a few minutes, change of pace I guess :)) and there was a cicada right next to the bed. I pointed it out (they both love them!) and he grabbed it. It was still alive so it fluttered and let out its buzz -- Nube dropped it like it was on fire and literally jumped straight up (all four feet at the same time) and landed perfectly on the dog bed :lol it was like he had springs in all 4 paws :) it was pretty funny :) he's ONE silly boy. :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Keep eating your yummy food Nube!!! And yes, watch out for those cicadas! :)

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

I love the cicada story! Did he get to eat it?

As for his reduced appetite, what is his dosage of Palladia? Most hounds on a metronomic protocol with Palladia and cytoxan don't usually have their appetite affected much (from what I've read here and my own experience). His cytoxan dose is higher than a metronomic protocol dose though, if I remember correctly. So, I'm thinking his Palladia dose might be higher too (typical for a male seems to be 60-70mg)

If his dosages are higher, he would probably be more likely to have side effects sooner. It is an awful catch-22.

Also, if he is on an NSAID, that could be causing GI effects, too.

I hope he is feeling better and eating well today.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest patterpaws

I haven't been as vocal lately but still think of you and Nube often, so glad he's hanging in there. Wishes for more good days and hugs to all of you! Limp, stay away!

I love the cicada story! Did he get to eat it?

As for his reduced appetite, what is his dosage of Palladia? Most hounds on a metronomic protocol with Palladia and cytoxan don't usually have their appetite affected much (from what I've read here and my own experience). His cytoxan dose is higher than a metronomic protocol dose though, if I remember correctly. So, I'm thinking his Palladia dose might be higher too (typical for a male seems to be 60-70mg)

If his dosages are higher, he would probably be more likely to have side effects sooner. It is an awful catch-22.

Also, if he is on an NSAID, that could be causing GI effects, too.

I hope he is feeling better and eating well today.

I know Twiggy had issues with the Palladia, what were her issues?

he is on Rimadyl, but has been on it since he first started limping (6/24) so I don't think that's it :(

we stopped the Palladia after the Wednesday dose -- some meals he eats normally but he's still not wanting to eat here and there. :( He's just on the Cytoxan and ate breakfast with his usual gusto, but he did not seem too interested in eating lunch today, but I removed some of the water in with the food and he finally did eat. So at this point I don't know what the issue is. The only thing (other than the Palladia) that I did last week was prepare 3 days of meals ahead. I had been making just 1 day ahead (I make them ahead because he gets, or DID get, hyper when he knows I'm making his food -- and it takes a bit of time, with all the add-ins and supplements -- and I don't want to take a chance of him breaking the leg in his "glee") but on Tuesday I made 3 day's worth. I don't know if the supplements (the chondroitin and glucosamine are bitter, I've tasted them) after a couple days, make the food more icky or what. However, I really don't think that's it since this started on Wednesday so it would have been just 1 day sitting at that point and he'd been fine with it up until then. Since Saturday I've been making it up right before to see if that helps and he didn't want it just a couple hours ago so who knows. We'll just go day by day.

we did have a nice weekend, we were at a small M&G yesterday (he lay down most of the time) and did a tasting at our local winery with Uncle Rich and Aunts Jerrie and Toni and they seemed to have a good time (although HOT). He really seems to enjoy getting out, even if it's just something like that (and it's the only way Bruce and I can go out together, if he's with!).

so we'll just keep plugging along. If it's NOT the Palladia then I hope I didn't stop it for nothing. It's just really hard to tell. :(

hope everyone had a great holiday!

I'm so glad you guys have been able to get out and about a bit! That has to be good for all of you.

I was thinking you were on to something with the supplements sort of "infusing" more into the food if it sits for a few days, but if he wasn't too interested in a freshly-made batch, then it's hard to say.

Twiggy is such a food monster, she never loses her appetite (the few occasions she lost it just a tiny bit, she was really badly off). Maybe that would be an early warning of issues, but I just don't know. With her I didn't know she was having trouble with the Palladia until one day her stool turned to blood. (not just bloody diarrhea, but pretty much just blood). We gave her a "holiday" from it, and then started a reduced dose. The first restarted dose caused the same thing again, so that was it for the Palladia for us. Long-term use of Metacam (about 6 months) caused ulcers that resulted in her not being able to keep anything in her (either food or water); so we stopped that too. So far, we haven't attributed any side effects to Cytoxan. I just restarted that today, and if we get side effects, that will be stopped permanently, too.

I do hate the balancing act and uncertainty.

More smooches to Nube!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

things are going downhill here rapidly :(

he's not eating much if anything. He did eat 3/4 of a plain Wendy's cheeseburger and some kibble for dinner. Immediately afterwards he had runny poop (couldn't have been from the cheeseburger, he had literally just ate it). I was up with him all night long with explosive diarrhea :( he threw up his meds and a little bit of other stuff at 5:30am this morning but did eat a bit of kibble -- but not enough to get his Rimadyl, but we were able to get the Tramadol, Pepcid and Gabepentin in him after (and some pepto). We took them both for a very short walk at the park around 6:50am, he peed just a little bit and had a bit more watery diarrhea.

I took him out at 9:30am (my idea, not his) and he tried several times to poop but nothing came out. He came back in and lay on his Slumberball fairly quietly until about 11am, and since then, he's been up and outside constantly (me walking him in literally in circles on leash) since then, like 25 times -- for over an hour and a half :( He did have some more liquid diarrhea on one of the trips out and looked like he was straining to pee. In between this I tried to feed him at noon and he didn't want to eat :( (gave him a small spoon of pumpkin along with cooked chicken breast and rice) -- I tried kibble too and he didn't want that either. I was finally able to get him to eat a bit of the chicken by hand-feeding him on the bed in the kitchen. After that it was back to constantly going out -- about a 1/2 hour ago I took him (and Larry) around the block to get him to finally pee (he did). We literally walked in the front door and within 1 minute he was back at the back door to go out :( I do not know what is going on :(

he is crying in pain now too (not the GSOD, like a cry/whine thing), did this at least 8-9 times while we were out walking.

he's finally laying on the SB now and I hope he can fall asleep. He's obviously very uncomfortable and there's not a damn thing I can do :( I don't know if something more than just the osteo is going on now. He got the Cytoxan yesterday and we are stopping that now too.

Oh no! This was not the update I wanted to see. :( sending you all hugs and strength.

Oh no, I'm sorry he's having such a tough time of it today. I'd definitely back off any more chemo until his system settles down a bit.

Is the diarrhea normal color? Twiggy would sometimes have a weird rusty colored stool while on chemo (I called it "Chemo poop"), sometimes this was partially formed, other times diarrhea.

I might also back off the Rimadyl for a day or two, if you can keep him comfortable on the tramadol & gabapentin.

I hope Nube has a better evening.