New Here, Want Greyhound, Seeking Advice

Guest lady_lantzerlot

Guest lady_lantzerlot

Hi everyone!

So, my purpose in joining this forum is to seek advice from all of the experienced greyhound owners here on how to proceed with adopting a greyhound and whether or not my lifestyle can be suitable for the right dog. Here's the deal:

I graduate from college next year, and I will almost certainly be living in Manhattan working in finance. So herein lies my question: Can I feasibly adopt a greyhound? I have always wanted to, but I also don't want to rush into anything because I know they are quite the commitment, and I would only want to adopt one if I knew I could provide it with a comfortable home.

I am an intern in investment banking this summer, and my hours are something like 8:30am to 9pm (give or take an hour, plus the occasional weekend hours), and my hours will stay like this for at least a year or so after I graduate. I would be living in a studio, or one bedroom apartment, possibly a two bedroom with a roommate (obviously one who likes dogs...). My main concern is that my lifestyle (working so many hours) isn't conducive to owning a dog, and I want to make sure that owning a greyhound is plausible.

Now on the flipside, I get up and walk or run every morning at 6, so I would be fully capable of taking a greyhound out for an extended walk in the mornings, and I could take it for a short walk in the evenings. I would also be fully willing (and I know I would have to) either a) come home during lunch to let the dog out or B) hire someone to let my greyhound out during the middle of the day. My weekends are also much more flexible.

I hear that greyhounds make great city dogs; I would appreciate some input from all of you lovely greyhound owners regarding other factors I should consider, whether you think it is do-able (with a dog of the right personality). Tips for city living..whatever!

I sincerely appreciate it!

-Melissa

Greyhounds do make excellent apt pets. If you can find the place that will take a 65-75 pound dog.You walk/run every day. That's a start. Yes the dog will need min 3 potty brakes a day....EVEN in blinding rain and 2 feet snow. I think it mabe a bit soon to get a dog without your housing/work stabilized.

Guest mbfilby

Hi Melissa, Welcome to GT.

Greyhounds can make great city/apartment dogs, especially if you can get one with a laid-back personality. Most adoption groups would be able to match you with your needs.

However, it does sound like your living arrangements/employment are still up in the air, so I would wait until you are settled in. Greyhounds can be sticklers for routine.

Guest lady_lantzerlot

Thanks for the responses so far! I will know where I'm living and working at the latest by the end of this year. However, I wouldn't apply to adopt one until after I graduate in May 2013, so don't worry, I wouldn't be moving it around a lot. And I would definitely be looking for a building that allows a large dog - I'm living in midtown west this summer, and there are definitely a few around me that allow larger dogs.

I guess I'm just seeking advice, stories about your own experiences, what I should know as a potential new greyhound owner, what type of personality I should be looking for in a dog for my lifestyle, reassurance that with a noon turnout or a pet sitter, I could provide the right greyhound with a home that would make it feel comfortable and happy, despite my long work hours. :)

It is nice to read both your enthusiasm and your long range planning. Living near Chicago, and belonging to a group that often adopts to people who live in the city, I know that Greys make wonderful city dogs. Several in our group live on Lake Shore Drive in high rises and with planning and dedication have very happy, well adjusted dogs. With the hours you describe you would need to have help from a walker/sitter. I would suggest contacting an adoption agency near you to ask your questions and get suggestions.

I knew I was going to own a greyhound 3 years before I got my first. I was in school and knew I wanted to finish and be settled before I adopted. I've never regretted my decision and I've never looked back. These dogs are wonderful pets, but they do have some special needs so finish your homework and if it still seems like a grey is right for you then just remember Greyhounds are like potato chips--it's hard to have just one :-)

june

Guest zombrie

I am a senior in college and during the school year, I live in a tiny studio apartment in Boston. My greyhound Minerva is a PERFECT city dog - nothing phases her. Greyhounds truly are amazing city dogs. The difference for me is, I'm only gone for 3-4 hours. But I'm sure if you exercised the hound before you left and have someone come midday the dog would be fine. These dogs are amazingly adjustable. I'd recommend getting a dog that was in foster care (this is something I normally don't really care about) because you need a dog you will feel confident will be ok in your situation. If I lived in Manhattan, I'd want to make sure I have a pretty bomb-proof dog.

Contact UES Brindle on grey talk. UES = Upper East Side. They also happen to be my brother and sister-in-law. :) They now like in Darien, CT but had William in the city for a while. He was a great city dog!

The first year I had Grace I live in the heart of downtown Seattle. She was a great city dog. Fenway, not so much! It really depends on the personality of the dog.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Greyhounds are great city dogs but .... your schedule really doesn't sound like it would work well with any dog even with a dog walker.

Reason is that if you are interning as an investment banker chances are you are going to have to work later at night than 9pm and because of that you might need to have a dog walker come twice a day and at that point - what's the sense.

Better to wait until your internship is through and you have had a job for a bit to see if your schedule will allow for a dog.

Some jobs don't require the long hours, being a lawyer, investment banker, doctor all do -- all of these take a toll on your available time.

Guest lady_lantzerlot

Greyhounds are great city dogs but .... your schedule really doesn't sound like it would work well with any dog even with a dog walker.

Reason is that if you are interning as an investment banker chances are you are going to have to work later at night than 9pm and because of that you might need to have a dog walker come twice a day and at that point - what's the sense.

Better to wait until your internship is through and you have had a job for a bit to see if your schedule will allow for a dog.

Some jobs don't require the long hours, being a lawyer, investment banker, doctor all do -- all of these take a toll on your available time.

Hmm, I don't think I clarified well enough. I am currently an intern at a bank that I hope to work at full time after graduation. Because of this, I am aware of the particular hours that this bank and this group requires of me. Those hours are typically 8:30am - 9pm for all first and second year people. I also know that if I live close enough (and this summer I live two blocks from work), it would be perfectly okay for me to run home and check on my dog if I'm not doing anything at the moment, and if I have to stay past 9pm, I have the option of working from home, or going home for a little bit and coming back. It's a pretty laid back environment, which is really nice! If I thought my hours would get much more severe and I wasn't sure I had flexibility to leave and come back, I wouldn't be considering this. So here is the proposed timeline for clarification:

• Now: Intern at said bank.
  • August 2012 - December 2012: Figure out where I will be living and working
  • December 2012 - May 2013: Finish senior year of college
  • May 2013 - July 2013: There are two possible scenarios. If I am fortunate enough to get an offer back to the bank I'm working at now, I will be very comfortable with my hours and I would likely adopt my greyhound in May, so that I can spend a few months with him or her while I'm not working (to help with the adjustment period, etc.) If I end up at a different company, I don't know if I would get the hound in May because I wouldn't be sure of the typical hours, etc, so I would put it off until later in the year.
  • July 2013: I would start my job.
  • December 2013: Only in the case where I don't work at the company I'm interning at, I would wait until later in the year to get the dog, so I can see if my hours permit. I picked December so that I can take some time off for Christmas and help my dog adjust (re: separation anxiety etc.).

Thoughts? And again, thank you all for the advice so far! I will definitely get in touch with UESBrindle for some first-hand experience, and I agree that I'll have to pick a greyhound with the right temperament for my lifestyle.

I sometimes work long hours plus I travel a lot. All you need is a reliable dog walker that will spend quality time with your dog when you have to keep long hours. There is also somebody here on GT named carronstar. I'm pretty sure she lives in Manhattan.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hello, Robin just directed me to this topic. Having a greyhound in NYC is eminently do-able. I've had them for 21 years. With dog walkers, grocery and pet food deliveries, etc. most of the logistics are easily handled. If you can take your pup for a good long walk in the morning and a couple more at night, you should be fine. Depending on where you are there are parks all over that are easily accessible. As I am also at a bank, I will say that it depends on what part of the bank you are going to be working in -- IBD hours are generally the longest, other divisions can be much more 9-6 ish. I can't PM you and I don't think you can PM me but you can call me at 212.816.0564 and I would be happy to talk to you. As I used to work in the analyst program at another bank, you should be getting your offer in the Fall so that will give you lots of time to plan.

Edited to add: there are 4 greyhounds in my immediate neighborhood on the Upper West Side. I know of many others here in the city as well. There is a Meet-Up group (can't look it up at work to link it for you) that meets fairly regularly, maybe you could go to their July meet-up and talk to other NYC owners. We all have jobs, many of us have long or irregular hours. A good dog walker is a must in this city but a job and long hours should not deter you.

Do talk to UESBrindle, Elizabeth and Rob are great and their William was a great city dog. He and his brother Harry are now great country dogs but they still come back every so often for a nice long walk in Central Park with me and Aquitaine.

Edited by carronstar

As already mentioned, Greyhounds make great apartment pets.

What I haven't seen posted is that your life is on the cusp of great change--graduating from college, (hopefully) starting a new career with a new employer, AND finding a new place to live which POSSIBLY might include roommate(s). It also sounds like you are single (at least, not seriously attached).

With all of that, I can confidently tell you that everything about who you think you are as a person and what you want out of life and how your life will look in the next 5 years will not turn out to be who you actually are, and how your life will be. ;)

This isn't a bad thing--in fact, it's a wondrous thing. But it's not a good time to bring a dog into the picture.

At a minimum, you should have these steps checked off before considering adopting a dog:

1. Nailed down permanent, stable, predictable employment and have worked in this capacity for at least 6 months

2. Found a place to live that is also reasonably permanent and stable. (note--adding a roommate to the equation immediately drops the stability score)

You have so much life to live--just soak it up for awhile before devoting yourself to a dog. Feel free to go out to lunch with that cute person you met at the coffee stand. Have the ability to go for after-work drinks with your coworkers, or to head out on a 3 day trip to vegas with some friends.

~Amanda

Guest lady_lantzerlot

As already mentioned, Greyhounds make great apartment pets.

What I haven't seen posted is that your life is on the cusp of great change--graduating from college, (hopefully) starting a new career with a new employer, AND finding a new place to live which POSSIBLY might include roommate(s). It also sounds like you are single (at least, not seriously attached).

With all of that, I can confidently tell you that everything about who you think you are as a person and what you want out of life and how your life will look in the next 5 years will not turn out to be who you actually are, and how your life will be. ;)

This isn't a bad thing--in fact, it's a wondrous thing. But it's not a good time to bring a dog into the picture.

At a minimum, you should have these steps checked off before considering adopting a dog:

1. Nailed down permanent, stable, predictable employment and have worked in this capacity for at least 6 months

2. Found a place to live that is also reasonably permanent and stable. (note--adding a roommate to the equation immediately drops the stability score)

You have so much life to live--just soak it up for awhile before devoting yourself to a dog. Feel free to go out to lunch with that cute person you met at the coffee stand. Have the ability to go for after-work drinks with your coworkers, or to head out on a 3 day trip to vegas with some friends.

Thanks for your input! I posted somewhere in the middle of this thread a more clear timeline. I would not get a dog until after I have graduated, know where I'm going to live, where I'm working etc. I would also have the dog for a month or so before I start work. And I also wouldn't get the dog immediately if I'm not working at the same company that I'm working at this summer (because I wouldn't understand my hours, flexibility, etc.). If I do end up back at the company I'm working at this summer, a full-time position would be a contractually obligated 2-yr commitment at least, and because of that, I would look to sign a 2 year lease if possible. I am single, and I would prefer to live by myself, but if I had a roommate, I would likely put off getting it as well.

Your point about living life is definitely fair, and I have to think about that, but I'm the type of person that would much rather spend a weekend reading in the park and cooking with friends than go to vegas haha. But I definitely understand, and I have to think about the fact that if I were to get a greyhound, and I go out with friends on a Saturday night, accidentally staying out all night is just not an option. And if I decide to travel (which I love to do), I have to make sure I either have a safe place for my dog to stay while I'm gone, or the place I'm going to stay wherever I'm going is dog-friendly. Time commitment and monetary commitment!

It's great to here so many positive things about greyhounds in cities though. I have truly always wanted one, and every greyhound I have ever known has had a great temperament, although all different!

Guest kkaiser104

Hi Melissa! As a 20 year old who just adopted a greyhound, I wanted to give some input. There will always be people (online, in real life, whatever) who do not think young people should adopt dogs. I had trouble finding an adoption group that would even consider me because of my age and not having a fenced in yard. When I finally found my adoption group (and they were a godsend and I'm so lucky to have found them) I had to jump through some extra hoops to be allowed to adopt. Realize that you might also have this trouble, because you're young and you don't have the most stable life right now. But neither do I, and it's working out for me.

Dogs are big responsibilities, but they're (IMHO) completely worth it. Does it bother me that I can't go out with people after work? Not at all. Because I get to go home and see my beautiful boy and he's enough for me. Is traveling harder? A little, but if you're willing to take the extra steps, you'll figure out a way to make it work. If you know this is what you want and you're willing to take the extra steps to make it feasible, then go for it! And good luck!

Guest HoundWorks

I agree with kkaiser's response. As another younger adopter and just having adopted my second hound at 23 I think the most important thing to remember is that only you know your situation. My dogs are a big responsibility and cost but I'm much like you in that I prefer to spend my weekends taking my dogs places than trips to Vegas. I did wait until after I had been at my job and settled in for a few months. I had no problems with my adoption group. It helps a ton that you are on here doing research and when you speak with adoption groups you'll be versed with what to expect regarding commitment, cost, devotion that it takes to adopt one of these awesome hounds. Good luck. Time will go by quicker than you think.

Plus traveling isn't impossible. We have made friends from play groups in my area who love our hounds and are the best dog sitters.