What's In A Gel Ice Pack? They Ate Some.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I left a cooler in the kitchen with a food-smelling ice pack (Polar Pack is the brand) in it. Went to the bathroom. Small hole in in the ice pack, and glop spread around. I think they ate some, but don't think they got much. It's labeled non-toxic, but I'm assuming that's non-toxic to people and not necessarily dogs. Dumb.

Link to MSDS for Polar Packs:

http://packaging.informous.com/view/3903-polar-pack-reusable-refrigerant-pack

I found this:

http://www.thermosafe.com/faqs.html Scroll down and it says just give plenty of fluids.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On the phone with animal poison control. Home Again coverss the $65 fee. Nifty!

I found this:

http://www.thermosafe.com/faqs.html Scroll down and it says just give plenty of fluids.

I saw that, but I figure we can eat avocado, dark chocolate, craptons of grapes and chew a pack of sugar free gum with no problems. I think they're fine, but freaking out anyway. That's what I do.

I know you can make them yourself in a ziplock bag .... water and a little rubbing alcohol and food colouring added.

Hope your hounds are ok...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Poison control said they might barf, but not to worry about it overly much. Said it's not a bad brand for them to have eaten. Joe is conked out; Brees is chewing on a toy. I just popped a beer. Hubby will be home from work in 10 minutes. He's the designated driver tonight.

Really pleased with Home Again. Didn't know that having the chip did more than help get them home if they get lost.

Romie ate one of those packs earlier this year. I only learned about it by seeing him barf some up out in the yard. He left enough of the packaging so I could find the company's toll-free number. I forget what the phone person said the gel was made of, but he said it was definitely non-toxic to dogs. I'll pass along his valuable advice: "If you get another one, just don't leave it where your dogs can get it."

Nothing overtly suspicious happened to Romie, except some strange looking poop. I hope your pups have a similarly uneventful experience. Take a chill pack pill :snowman

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks for sharing...good info to have.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So.....what else is going to happen to the dogs that went to the picnic, Rachael?!!! Your two into the gel, my Brat needing ligament surgery.

Nothing. Nothing else is allowed to happen. We got all the bad $&*^ and everyone else will be ok.

And my two are fine today. Bwat is the one who really got screwed. And your wallet.