Lymphoma And Panting

Guest TLH0739

Guest TLH0739

My Patrlick was diagnosed with lymphoma Monday. I came home that morning from working all night to find my baby panting and weak. I found two lumps on his neck. I took him to my vet and she did a needle biopsy, labs, and x-rays. She only found the two lumps on his neck. The x-rays and labs work all looked good. She told me that he most likely has a fast growing lymphoma. My cat was diagnosed with lymphoma last year and is on prednisolone and is doing great. I asked if prednisolone would work for Patrick. She told me that prednisone works a little better for dogs but that he would not do as well as my cat. She told me he would only have a few months. We started the prednisone. The vet has called me everyday to see how he is doing. Tonight I found 3 more swollen lymph nodes. He is panting at times but still eating and drinking. He even took a walk today. I don't want to lose him but I don't want him to suffer. I just can not believe both of my babies have lymphoma. I can't stop crying. I pray that I can get though this, losing my best friend.

I'm so sorry you and your b.oy have to go through this. Unfortunately I have had 3 dogs diagnosed with lymphoma.

Ask your vet about adding lukeran to the prednesone; lukeran and pred are given on alternate days. The lukeran is a chemo med give in pill form and slows the growth rate of the lymphoma.

I don't recall the dosage needed.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Guest bernadette

I am so sorry that this is happening. Such a scary thing, it's heartbreaking. What do the swollen lymph nodes feel like? I have been trying to research to find where they are on our greys- without much luck. Anyone?

I'm so sorry to hear about Patrick.

Bernadette, a diagram of lymph node locations on dogs, and a brief discussion of lymphoma are here.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry to hear about the lymphoma diagnosis. My Cosmo had lymphoma and had two different chemotherapy protocols. She lived 28 months after I first found her nodes enlarged, and passed at 14 1/2 but not due to cancer. There are several different treatment regimens for lymphoma. Has your vet discussed them with you?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm so sorry to hear about the lymphoma diagnosis. My Cosmo had lymphoma and had two different chemotherapy protocols. She lived 28 months after I first found her nodes enlarged, and passed at 14 1/2 but not due to cancer. There are several different treatment regimens for lymphoma. Has your vet discussed them with you?

That's my question- Did you see an oncologist? A biopsy should have been done before starting the pred to see what type of lymphoma your hound has but....

Potentially he could do very well with chemo depending what type of lymphoma you're dealing with.

Please see an oncologist. FYI the panting may be from the pred.

At one time it was thought that prednisone shouldn't be started first, but Dr. Couto has conducted a study that has shown otherwise.

To the OP--I would talk with your vet about pursuing chemotherapy if that's something you want to pursue, then talk to an oncologist and/or Dr. Couto. Some GP vets will perform chemo, while others won't. Some forms of chemo are pills and fairly easy to administer. IV meds are more complicated and more expensive.

In the end, do what's right for you and your dog.

Donna

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

At one time it was thought that prednisone shouldn't be started first, but Dr. Couto has conducted a study that has shown otherwise.

To the OP--I would talk with your vet about pursuing chemotherapy if that's something you want to pursue, then talk to an oncologist and/or Dr. Couto. Some GP vets will perform chemo, while others won't. Some forms of chemo are pills and fairly easy to administer. IV meds are more complicated and more expensive.

DaisyDoodle--I understand what you are saying- the pred use prior to chemo is actually a recommended protocol (CHOP-actually pred use is considered a chemo drug here) --what I was referring to -the pred may alter the path results. There are immunoassay's that pred may alter.

Bottom line -yes, treatment needs to be within your comfort range but, an oncologist needs to be consulted with so you cn decide how to proceed.

Keep us posted ok?

Edited by tbhounds

Guest LindsaySF

I'm sorry to hear this. I lost my shepherd mix to Lymphoma, and it was quick. Hers did not respond to pred and the lymph nodes in her neck enlarged to the point of affecting her breathing, which is when we put her down. :( Best of luck.

DaisyDoodle--I understand what you are saying- the pred use prior to chemo is actually a recommended protocol (CHOP-actually pred use is considered a chemo drug here) --what I was referring to -the pred may alter the path results. There are immunoassay's that pred may alter.

Bottom line -yes, treatment needs to be within your comfort range but, an oncologist needs to be consulted with so you cn decide how to proceed.

Keep us posted ok?

It didn't occur to me that diagnostic tests would be affected. Or, that the tests were done after pred was started.

FWIW, the pred could be causing the panting, if panting started only after pred. It will cause panting, increase water consumption and urination; and, if used long-term, muscle wasting. Be sure to only use pred every other day for long-term use; otherwise it will cause iatrogenic (medically-induced) Cushings.

Also, please see posts on Circle of Grey for more info on lymphoma.

Donna

Size of an almond to a grapefruit; feels kind of like a hard-boiled egg or a bit softer. Not as soft as a lypoma (fatty tumor, not cancerous). They are in specific places: under jaw, in front of chest, in "arm pits" behind from legs, back of knees on back legs, and in groin, way up in tuck area. There are probably many more, but these are the major ones, IIRC.

If in jaw alone, especially only one lump may be a blocked salivary gland rather than lymph node.

There can be other reasons for nodes to be enlarged, especially local causes such as infection.

Donna

Guest bernadette

Thanks Daisy. I found a new lump on Vinnie that isn't like the others (He has one lipoma and two tiny bumps that we are keeping an eye on). It is longer, feels squishy but hard and its deeper. It also makes him flinch unlike the others when I am feeling it. It is not in any of those places though, it is behind his shoulder blade, as opposed to in front of it. Thank you for the info, I am learning so much.

Guest TLH0739

Thanks to everyone for your concerns and suggestions. I have found a few need lumps this morning. Patrick was panting a few days before I found the lumps. He is still eating and drinking. He took a walk yesterday and had a happy tail. I love him so much. I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to let him go. He has been the best thing in my life for 10 years. Just keep the information coming and keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo was diagnosed with lymphoma last October. All of his lymph nodes were swollen, about the size of golf balls. He finished chemo (UW's CHOP protocol) in mid-March and is doing GREAT! I have not one regret for putting him through all of the treatments, although he handled everything very well, only was sick once throughout the 19 weeks and never had to skip a treatment. I still check him every day for lumps (I don't think I'll ever get past that) but he's clean so far and is back up to his racing weight. He looks fantastic and is one happy pup! I know you'll do what's best for Patrick and you. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

I'm so very sorry.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So sorry to hear of Patrick's news. He sounds like a greyt companion. As many have suggested I would recommend for you to see and consult with an oncologist to determine your options and what you are most comfortable with. I will aslo tell you that if chemo is an option you can consult w/Ohio State Vet/Wellness w/Dr Couto and pending the meds for your protocol they will assist you with sending them out to the vet.

I also will recommend for you and anyone who wants information about dog cancer and what options are and how it may present itself is to read http://www.amazon.com/The-Cancer-Survival-Guide-ebook/dp/B005F5HPXU/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

It is easy to understand and gives you some information before going to the oncologist so you can understand what he may say your options are.

I am speaking from first hand exp w/cancer, my first had osteo that we caught early, but never really diagnosed b/c of the location and in 4 or 5 wks the bone started to deteriorate and possibly affect the pelvis. I had to put her down after multiple soft tissue injuries to the leg.

My next one, who was to help fill my empty heart, was diagnosed w/lymphona a few wks after rescuing her and I had a feeling from day one for I felt the glands and it was in multiple and on both sides of the body. All her glands had it but were not soo enlarged that you can see them, only on her face I could. She was diagnosed w/stage 3. We decided to go ahead w/chemo the Madison Wisconsin protocol. She got sick one time really bad, w/diarrhea, never needing an IV, otherwise had no change in energy or eating. Had to miss a wk or two b/c of her WBC counts low but that was ok for some research shows dogs do better w/less chance of remission if the WBC go low. Our last trestment was in April and has done awesome. I have consulted w/Dr. Becker and have her on some detoxing natural products and other supplements to help her immune system recoup.

Please just see your options and Patrick will also let you know in time what is best.

Sending prayers and peace to the heart, it is a tough decision.

Kathy

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.