Custom Boots For Dropped-Toe Corn Dog?

Kipper has dropped toes on each front foot -- each sticks an inch+ beyond his other middle toe when standing and running (we've got pictures!).

Because of this, we can't find boots that will fit, and I've asked Neopaws et al if they'd do custom, but they don't.

Baby socks with tape work for hot pavement (short duration), but aren't durable or cushioned for his corn, and aren't feasible for summer travel.

Do you know of anyone who makes custom boots?

Or, has anyone MADE boots and have some tips?

I've got 4mm Vibram outsole, a heavy-duty sewing machine, some old sheepskins and running-shoe inserts. I've got good weight-bearing paw tracings. I've studied Therapaws and Neopaws and Muttluks and some off brands at Petco.

I think I can make something...but I've never attempted to create something like this.

My biggest worry is that they will tear or rub the nails on those dropped toes. We Dremel them as short as possible, but they still poke straight out thanks to the lack of tendons holding them "up" and the flattened toe.

Any ideas? Anything good or bad things about the boots you've used that I should consider in trying to make something?

Thanks!!!

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

I can't help you re corns or corn boots or sewing... but GEM sells greyhound socks with traction thingies on the bottom. Certainly could be helpful for inside the house, in stores, etc. I assume the rubber traction thingies would provide some cushioning. Here's the link: http://www.gemgreyho...for-greyhounds/

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

This may be random, but I used to be a dancer, and for those who had one toe longer than the others, it was important to pad the other toes to make all the toes "even" before putting on a pointe shoe and standing on the tips. I am wondering if you could have enough room in the end of the boot to accommodate the long toe and then put in some extra sheepskin and take up the empty space? Just a thought...

I have made booties but nothing with a heavy sole on it. The hardest part is the smallness of the whole area you are sewing. And it is important to trim the seams well so they don't rub. Good luck!

Edited by Shaysmom
S.jpg

I can't help you re corns or corn boots or sewing... but GEM sells greyhound socks with traction thingies on the bottom. Certainly could be helpful for inside the house, in stores, etc. I assume the rubber traction thingies would provide some cushioning. Here's the link: http://www.gemgreyho...for-greyhounds/

Hmmm....Wonder if I could rubberize the bottoms of those and add a velcro strap to help them stay on better outside? Might be easier than creating from scratch. Or I could sew the Vibram to the sock by hand (ouch), then reinforce the edges with rubber glue and insert sheepskin padding.

Thanks! I hadn't seen those. Must order a pair. :gh_run

This may be random, but I used to be a dancer, and for those who had one toe longer than the others, it was important to pad the other toes to make all the toes "even" before putting on a pointe shoe and standing on the tips. I am wondering if you could have enough room in the end of the boot to accommodate the long toe and then put in some extra sheepskin and take up the empty space? Just a thought...

I have made booties but nothing with a heavy sole on it. The hardest part is the smallness of the whole area you are sewing. And it is important to trim the seams well so they don't rub. Good luck!

I was thinking I'd need to run the sheepskin up the toe a bit on the inside, to help cushion the sides of the dropped toe. Good point.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

"Hmmm....Wonder if I could rubberize the bottoms of those and add a velcro strap to help them stay on better outside? Might be easier than creating from scratch. Or I could sew the Vibram to the sock by hand (ouch), then reinforce the edges with rubber glue and insert sheepskin padding."

TheraPaws sells a couple of products to rubberize the bottoms.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

And neopaws sells gel-like inserts.

Poor Kipper - but it sounds like you have the technology to McGyver up something super. :) (I think I mixed lingo from 2 action shows there. :lol )

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest EclecticPhoebs

Hi there!

I'm Lara and I have a shop on Etsy called The Eclectic Hound (www.TheEclecticHound.etsy.com). Etsy provides shop stats for shop owners including sources that lead to my shop, and every day I have at least 1 or 2 viewers from Greytalk, so I thought I'd join!

I also wanted to let you know I make custom winter boots for dogs that are suitable for outdoors, comfortable for walking, and custom fit for every dog I make them for. I have a greyhound and am well aware of how tough those spindly legs are to fit, so I had to take matters into my own hands and design Toesties when I couldn't find anything else that would work! My girl, Phoebe, also has a problem with corns (but doing fine at the moment thanks to the duct tape trick), so we feel your pain!

Here's a link to Toesties in case you're interested:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheEclecticHound?section_id=10361101

And here's a link to Phoebs putting Toesties to the test:

Everything you should need to know about my boot design is in the listing descriptions but if you have any additional questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. You can contact me through my shop or at TheEclecticHound@gmail.com. When I sell boots I ask for both leg measurements and paw lengths. So, you can measure your boy's paw from heel to the tip of his longest toe and I can custom fit boots for you. If you need 4 different sizes for each leg/paw, I can do that too. I can also add a sherpa lining if you want to protect his cornies, but I wouldn't recommend you use them in wet weather. If the sherpa gets wet it never dries and all you'll be able to smell is stinky tootsies :paw:ohno

I make every set of Toesties by hand myself, so if you have individual needs just let me know and if I can make it work I'm more than happy to.

Glad to finally join the forum, I have a feeling it will be addictive :)

Lara